ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Calitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few weeks ago I was going crazy trying to find a large version of that adventure game art. Thanks for posting that!

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congrats Aaron and everyone else that made this. Small typo I noticed in a magazine. "look" should be "looks" near the end of the text. That's the last page of the September '86 issue.

Attachments

• retrogamechallengetypo.jpg
    retrogamechallengetypo.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 260

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I assume that font is lcfont_10_05.dat? If so its 1bpp width 8 and height 12. CrystalTile2 seems to view it fine theres 2 bytes before each glpyh which is the sjis code for the character... should't be too hard to add a new glyph or replace one.

I played with this for an hour and it didn't work like that *but* when I changed lcfont_10_10.dat and made 's 't 'd and 'll characters out of the double byte brackets I never use, it all worked!

I just need to rearrange the manuals now...

Before:
fixedapo1.png

After:
fixedapo2.png

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oji> I know, I need to do that too. I have a major update to the patch I must push out today if at all possible as it fixes a potential crash and it adds all the epilogue slideshow art. I fixed a ton of things in the RPG and chats/dialogue as well but there will probably still be more after this.

Oh yes, and the new magazines and manuals with the half byte apostrophes. :)

Btw, I can't edit the thread title, can I?

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

cubeboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we should follow the naming conventions from the original game.
The magazines should be easy to fix, but the game itself will be a bit harder? I hope it's only a single part to change since it's a letter substitution.

I agree. It probably makes sense to change it to Insektors (or Mass Insektors) like the first game. The line from the manual in RGC is "you are ambushed by humanity's sworn enemy, the Mass Insektors...!"

cubeboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played with this for an hour and it didn't work like that *but* when I changed lcfont_10_10.dat and made 's 't 'd and 'll characters out of the double byte brackets I never use, it all worked!

I just need to rearrange the manuals now...

I see that the three periods in some of the game dialogue "..." are centered in the middle instead of at the bottom of the line. Is this because of a similar limitation? This is dialogue at the very beginning of the game.
....PNG

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the January 1992 Game Fan, there's a screen that explains the symbols for your weapons. "Its'" shouldn't have the apostrophe it should just be its. Also, it mentions that there are 5 symbols, but there's only 4 if I'm reading it right. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• jan92gamefan.jpg
    jan92gamefan.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 229

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
cubeboy> I pushed out patch 1.0.3 just now (I *must* get the fix for the bug that crashes the game ASAP), so I'm looking into this for 1.0.4.

For main dialogue events, I *think* if I type "..." it will appear fine. … varies in position and length depending where in the game it is used. It is *extremely* infuriating.

dronesplitter> I'm aiming to fix all that for the 1.0.4 patch (assuming nothing else is wrong with the 1.0.3)

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, no rush on these; wasn't sure if that was already reported as a typo or not and decided to post it anyway. I was still using the 1.0.2 patch when I took that screen, but I just acquired and patched 1.0.3 onto my game :)

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I see that the three periods in some of the game dialogue "..." are centered in the middle instead of at the bottom of the line. Is this because of a similar limitation? This is dialogue at the very beginning of the game.
....PNG

The game uses Shift-Jis (for a list, see here: http://www.rikai.com/library/kanjitables/kanji_codes.sjis.shtml) and those last three dots are actually one character, being this one: …

Replacing that with 3 periods (full stops) should fix the issue.

Don't know why Aaron just simply used three ... instead of being a bit lazy and using a Japanese character. The fact the dots are in the middle just look silly in English and most translations don't use it (well "Puyo Pop FEVER" does, from memory, but it was using a fixed width font).

cubeboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cubeboy> I pushed out patch 1.0.3 just now (I *must* get the fix for the bug that crashes the game ASAP), so I'm looking into this for 1.0.4.

For main dialogue events, I *think* if I type "..." it will appear fine. … varies in position and length depending where in the game it is used. It is *extremely* infuriating.

dronesplitter> I'm aiming to fix all that for the 1.0.4 patch (assuming nothing else is wrong with the 1.0.3)

No problem. Take your time. What you put out in version 1.0 was golden enough by itself, and is better than most/all fan translations I've played throughout different systems.

Reactions: Nightwish

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
In the main dialogue, "..." appears as "..." and should be fine. In the Adventures and RPG, "..." comes out "。。。" and the SJIS "…" comes out as 2 dots in the middle. I guess I could edit the font to make it appear that way.

I'll get to it but I wanted to fix up the bigger issues first. Getting that crash fixed was priority one. Getting the epilogue slideshow down was #2. Now that I have that and about 300 other fixes in the game I'll give this a look. If, for the main dialogue, it works fine, this change will be in 1.0.4

- Aaron

Reactions: Calitar

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
cubeboy/RadioShadow> Will this do it for you?

(It should work for all main dialogue with floating head Arino (sorry, Ariino), young Arino, Telephone conversations and chats)

The exception is the slim-font window used in the magazines/manuals and system message screens ("T-Shirt #25 now available in Settings" or whatever I put for that line). That and the RPG and Adventure games seem to live on their own planet and abide by their own rules for this thing,

fixedperiods.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4U-CrK4Hug