ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I have a twitter account I used for my pet robot so I posted with that. We can talk about it, sure. Ultimately if this gets released on the eShop in theory that is a very good (and legal) thing if you can snag the original rights from Bandai-Namco and Fuji-TV. Something is nagging me about someone else profiting off of something we here all did for free, though.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a twitter account I used for my pet robot so I posted with that. We can talk about it, sure. Ultimately if this gets released on the eShop in theory that is a very good (and legal) thing if you can snag the original rights from Bandai-Namco and Fuji-TV. Something is nagging me about someone else profiting off of something we here all did for free, though.
It's very convenient for someone to stroll along with a proposal like that at this point... the patch is already doing absurdly well without any external help other than the efforts of the community.

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
It's very convenient for someone to stroll along with a proposal like that at this point... the patch is already doing absurdly well without any external help other than the efforts of the community.

All he wants is to ensure this gets to as many people as possible. Nothing wrong with that.

AndrewRoks1998

Newcomer
Trophies
In your kitchen cabinet, behind the bread
XP
Country
United States
I've come across quite a few bugs/typos/whatnot while playing this game. Here's some screenshots of the problems, with a .TXT file that gives details for each screenshot/problem.

Use these links if you'd prefer to view the images online: Image Gallery, Readme.txt
Use this link if you'd prefer to download the images: RGC2 Bugs and Typos.rar

If I come across more problems, I'll likely make another "pack" like this. Let's make this translation the best it can be!! KACHO ON!!

Edit: I just remembered another problem: Arino doesn't say "dude" nearly enough. (Just kidding :P)

Reactions: Calitar

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Ooh, that helps quite a bit. Is this the version 1.0 patch? I've made a mess of changes already so some of those I've already fixed but that helps me tremendously.

I've listed up the other text errors and I'll tackle those tonight. I may release 1.0.2 tonight but I'm not sure if I should wait for the graphics team first or not. Their stuff is pretty major but it is all under control.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Um, I noticed a very odd issue with XDelta. Even though it makes the patches and they work all right, I noticed in a very specific case it wasn't giving the exact result I wanted. In particular I fixed up a phone conversation dialogue. The corrected one should be:

Oh yeah. There's a Wiz-man
cameo in Cosmic Gate, too.

But the one on-screen has weird newlines and alignment:

Oh yeah. There's a Wiz-man cam(eo) <-eo is cut off
in Cosmic Gate, too.

I know it has the rest of the conversations, even the Waku Waku Boy->JoycoLand correction in that same conversation, fine and dandy and nothing else looks out of place, but I wonder what would cause that. Is there any good alternative to XDelta I can try?

Okay, that was easy. There are actually two separate files in the game for a specific phone conversation and they are the exact same thing. I just needed to update both. How silly. This is what I get for working at 2AM

AndrewRoks1998> I updated/fixed the other errors reported to me tonight but I haven't had a chance to go through all of yours yet. Sorry about that. I want to put the rest of yours in the next update along with the new graphics in the next day or so. I'd start some of it now but at this hour my accuracy is bound to waver.

cubeboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I would agree, but I'm also not the one that put a TON of effort into this release, so my opinion shouldn't hold too much value. I just know that I wouldn't personally release it as an official thing, unless there was enough of a financial benefit to do so, and I would imagine that this game would provide little value as an official release. Let's be honest, the first game didn't sell very well, and the second one probably wouldn't do that well either since it's a VERY niche market that it would sell too: retro gamers that know about a Japanese only television show, that own Nintendo DS/3DS systems, or people that liked RGM1, and overheard somewhere that a RGM2 was released.

Again, just my two cents as someone who didn't commit any time to the project, so feel free to ignore it :)

AndrewRoks1998

Newcomer
Trophies
In your kitchen cabinet, behind the bread
XP
Country
United States
AndrewRoks1998> I updated/fixed the other errors reported to me tonight but I haven't had a chance to go through all of yours yet. Sorry about that. I want to put the rest of yours in the next update along with the new graphics in the next day or so. I'd start some of it now but at this hour my accuracy is bound to waver.

Honestly, I don't care much when you finish it, as long as you actually do. :lol:
As Shigeru Miyamoto once said: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
...Well, I guess in your situation you could just patch it again, but y'know :P

Ryushikaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I check back on this thread after a week to see it's finally been completed, hooray!

But I can't download it right now because Filetrip is blocked at my job, Boo!

Espiox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, congrats on finishing the translation! You did a fantastic job!

As for Jools' eShop proposal, there's no harm in talking to him, right? I'd love an official way to play this on my 3DS.

Autism Gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This translation is great works fine on my DSi.
HNI_0100.JPG
HNI_0001.JPG

There is a awkward little space in the challenge game info.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Fishaman> Insektors is actually in the original first game like that, too. Should I fix it or leave it purposely broken as Engrish? If you mean the text in-game, that's actually a tiled graphic. I have to edit each character as an image by hand.
I think we should follow the naming conventions from the original game.
The magazines should be easy to fix, but the game itself will be a bit harder? I hope it's only a single part to change since it's a letter substitution.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Autism Gamer> First, that's great. I'm glad it's working for you.

Second, about that "space", that's actually because the apostrophe is a double byte one. (’) There are no single byte apostrophe's in that font used in the magazines, manuals and challenges. I've been trying to hack one in but so far no luck. I might try replacing a character that is there that I never use with one to see if that works.

Third, if you want to extract the graphics, get "Tinke" and open the ROM image. You should be able to extract everyone you want from the game. Well, all of us working on it did, anyway.

And for everyone, the Epilogue slideshow is underway. Everything is going smoothly but it will take some time to work through them all. There are some beautiful images in there, and there are even more beautiful ones on the web I see (full size ones of the art in the game)

Edit> Large, so I'll just link them:
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/gqsart.jpg
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/kachoart.jpg

340x.jpg

e4i0GAQ.jpg

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Second, about that "space", that's actually because the apostrophe is a double byte one. (’) There are no single byte apostrophe's in that font used in the magazines, manuals and challenges. I've been trying to hack one in but so far no luck. I might try replacing a character that is there that I never use with one to see if that works.

I assume that font is lcfont_10_05.dat? If so its 1bpp width 8 and height 12. CrystalTile2 seems to view it fine theres 2 bytes before each glpyh which is the sjis code for the character... should't be too hard to add a new glyph or replace one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.