ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
If you check a bit earlier in this thread he is one of the users that really, really, really likes the RPG and went to great lengths to test everything and anything at all points in the game and to also give me pages upon pages of fixes to make (there were hundreds). Not just appearance, but story consistency and item/spell/skill/Guadia/Meister consistency as well as related references in the manuals and magazines.

HumbertHumbert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I just finally finished the game, using v1.2. Yay!! Some emoji are in order! :yay: :nds: :nds: :rofl2: :tpi:

The only other error I saw was this one after the ending:

hERg3id.jpg

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Definitely odd. I just put out patch 1.3 but didn't notice anything in the main dialogue like that since changing the ellipses. I'll see if I can reproduce that error on my end. I know where this text occurs at least. If I don't have a save game handy I'll have to just play it again, I guess.

EDIT> I see something suspicious. That choice comes up a few times in the dialogue but in the second one the first one is "I'll go home right now!" which is too long. I'll try fixing it up to say "I'll go home now!" like the other ones.

Reactions: HumbertHumbert

Autism Gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely odd. I just put out patch 1.3 but didn't notice anything in the main dialogue like that since changing the ellipses. I'll see if I can reproduce that error on my end. I know where this text occurs at least. If I don't have a save game handy I'll have to just play it again, I guess.

EDIT> I see something suspicious. That choice comes up a few times in the dialogue but in the second one the first one is "I'll go home right now!" which is too long. I'll try fixing it up to say "I'll go home now!" like the other ones.

Even though you fix the problem, but ill still give you my save just to be save.

Attachments

• Save Data.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 143

Kobalos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
- Changed the Game Select screen game title graphics (room and shop)
The new graphics look great, but when you choose 'Records' for any of them it suddenly uses the old one again. What's with all this duplicated data? You'd think the programmers would just have the game use the same file.

Who or what is a Kobalos?
it is a mystery

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
The records screen uses a duplicate?

*smacks forehead into table*

All right, I'll see if it is a simple swap. If so I may just overwrite the 1.3 patch with the new fix. Nothing is ever simple, is it? I'm still baffled why there are so many different methods and styles used in the game for the text and graphics in different areas, like different teams worked on each mini-game and never spoke with each other. Oh well, even in the worst case it's not too hard to recreate the game titles now.

EDIT> Okay, it wasn't a totally simple swap as it uses a source image containing all games instead of two separate files for the room and shop games but piecing them into one file and remapping all the tiles worked. I've already updated the 1.3 patch on mediafire and on the direct site download link. Romhacking link will have to wait for a bit. (There is an approval process that needs to be done for each and every patch)

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If so I may just overwrite the 1.3 patch with the new fix.
In general, this may not be a good idea.

"Blah blah version 1.3 is broken".
"Which version of 1.3?"
":huh: "

On a side note, I've been slowly playing through the 1.1 patch over the last few weeks, and I've seen some minor stuff with the manuals and GameFan, but those are probably fixed already. Really great work!

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Yeah, 1.3 and the subsequent fixes happened so fast I thought I'd just slip them in. The changes up to 1.3 were pretty large but the tiny updates after that...not so much. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. All of the minute post 1.3 changes were already tested so anything broken would most likely be for all of 1.3 anyway.

Any changes after this should be in a new version, though.

Oh, completely unrelated but I almost have a playable Blood of Bahamut ready (give me a week or so)...for internal testing anyway; it will most likely be pretty rough. There are length limits and other text related woes to sort first, though. That and the half dozen graphic titles. It's not a masterpiece or anything, just something different I wanted to see done, even though I may have to nerf the translation a bit just to make it fit within a limit that won't crash the game.

Reactions: windwakr

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Few errors in the Adventure game (part 1).

Talking to Urakawa, the third line did not print:

Not sure if this is an error, but should only the "invoice" be highlighted in green?

This text is not aligned:

Instead of using "Gabble", why not use "Natter"? To gabble is where you talk rapidly and unintelligently, which is not really what Arino is doing. Natter would make more sense, since he is talking about the subject in a more casual and less important way.

I'm having trouble finding the text for the Adventure game. Mind just posting the offset and file where the text:
"Hooded Men: Love and Game!"

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but I did try anyway.

Like this?

dNPxqN5.png

lu8F3Bj.png

dip47sD.png

DoKxue3.png

C2MFyJl.png

OxN64MA.png

bHGgy0F.png

djSJMB5.png

EvcY3jM.png

ysCxzTM.png

sTb28fx.png

FOetxYv.png

DBs6Sl0.png

ghAn3FK.png

QaRWUgv.png

Much better, and Aaron has successfully put them in the latest patch. I would have it set up know so there are three black pixels to the far left and the far right, like so:

As for some minor changes:
Gunduel -> GunDuel
Haggleman: Koume Edition -> Haggle Man: Koume Version
Ace Detective (Part 1) -> Arino: Ace Detective (Part 1)
Ace Detective (Part 2) -> Arino: Ace Detective (Part 2)

Actually, the picture says "Koume Version" on the cartridge art work. The game title says "KOUME ver". The Game Info says "Haggleman : Koume edition".
Aaron, which word would be better to use? I prefer "edition" myself, but "version" works just as well. Which ever we choose, the graphics will need updating.

Also, in the first game, the English translation calls her "Little Koume". Shouldn't we be calling her that in the sequel?

------------------------------------------------------------

For the "Rally King ex" instructions, might want to change the following (these are the terms used in the "Retro Game Challenge 1" manuals:
"Rally King EX" -> "Rally King ex"
Accelerate + Brake -> Emergency brake
Start / Pause -> Game Start/Pause

Also, when you have completed one of the tracks and it shows your times, there is the text that says BESTTIME . Could a space be added to say BEST TIME ?

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I'm having trouble finding the text for the Adventure game. Mind just posting the offset and file where the text:
"Hooded Men: Love and Game!"

Everything is in \data\retro\km\spt\

That phrase appears in many files but if you mean the intro it is in km_op1_02, km_op1_04, and km_op1_06. The text has to be extracted, converted and reinserted with a special program.

As for your 3 issues:

1. Fixed (missing a new line character)
2. Changed it to white (It was like that in the original game but it isn't really used anywhere so I'll keep it all white)
3. Fixed. It is very hard to find these types of indent problems automatically, though. They need to be eyeballed. There still may be lingering cases somewhere in the game.

I can make a new patch, of course, but I'll just see if anything else turns up first.

Also, when you have completed one of the tracks and it shows your times, there is the text that says BESTTIME . Could a space be added to say BEST TIME ?

That may be a graphic and needs to be altered specially. I haven't checked yet as nobody has pointed this out to me. (Nobody cares much about Rally King?)

As for the graphic changes, they are possible but nothing is a "minor" change with graphics in this game. It is a slow and painful process in many cases. If someone posts an update to the graphics I'll see what I can do. At least I already made up the mapping table based on the new graphics file. In theory I just need to remap the palette of any new submitted art and put that in at the exact location...if a title is extended that is another story...

I'm okay with either Edition or Version...whichever requires the least amount of changes, Ha! Also, on Koume, She is just called Koume elsewhere in the game originally (e.g. the Triotos character roster) and it creates space and length issues all over the place not to mention too many references through the game. If at all possible I'd just like to leave it.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Well, Rally King was based on a bunch of racers that were more popular in Japan than overseas. Zippy Race (MotoRace USA), Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race and Road Fighter.

The west had things like Super Sprint and Super Off-Road; ones with a more zoomed out pov. I would have liked to see something like that in here too, actually.

Reactions: NighTrekr

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Brief update, but I'm going through the game manual and trying to put the text in English. This will take a while, though. Very long, very dense manual and all.

Also, I did want to work on those Arino voices (putting them in a big spreadsheet/table) but that is slow work, too.

Oh, on that Adventure game Green Text, that actually happens elsewhere in the game. In a few spots, actually. I actually think the green text is fine because it turns up everytime you get something important. This happens more in the 2nd part of the Adventure, though.

Reactions: HumbertHumbert

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
As for some minor changes:
Gunduel -> GunDuel
Haggleman: Koume Edition -> Haggle Man: Koume Version
Ace Detective (Part 1) -> Arino: Ace Detective (Part 1)
Ace Detective (Part 2) -> Arino: Ace Detective (Part 2)

------------------------------------------------------------

For the "Rally King ex" instructions, might want to change the following (these are the terms used in the "Retro Game Challenge 1" manuals:
"Rally King EX" -> "Rally King ex"
Accelerate + Brake -> Emergency brake
Start / Pause -> Game Start/Pause

Okay. I'll try to get those in the game. There are enough letters in the other game titles that I think I can piece them together. Was it Haggleman or Haggle Man? I'll take a look through the game text but I do remember seeing the graphics in Triotos DX label him as "HAGGLEMAN" (All caps...but then all characters were all caps in that game).

And if luck serves me well I might try to put up what I've translated from the game manual.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Oh, on that Adventure game Green Text, that actually happens elsewhere in the game. In a few spots, actually. I actually think the green text is fine because it turns up everytime you get something important. This happens more in the 2nd part of the Adventure, though.

makes sense. if you keep it, don't forget to switch back the one you made white (a few posts up).

-another world

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay. I'll try to get those in the game. There are enough letters in the other game titles that I think I can piece them together. Was it Haggleman or Haggle Man? I'll take a look through the game text but I do remember seeing the graphics in Triotos DX label him as "HAGGLEMAN" (All caps...but then all characters were all caps in that game).

And if luck serves me well I might try to put up what I've translated from the game manual.

Well in Japan, Mega Man is known as ロックマン [Rockman]. This looks to be a similar case with Haggle Man. In the original, he is called ハグルマン [Haggleman]. In the English translation, he is called Haggle Man. This is the case for the manuals and game title. Although the box art doe make it look like it is spelt as Haggleman.

So it is the whole sentence that gets highlighted? If that is the case, you just need to make it highlight the ! as well.

That may be a graphic and needs to be altered specially. I haven't checked yet as nobody has pointed this out to me. (Nobody cares much about Rally King?)

As for the graphic changes, they are possible but nothing is a "minor" change with graphics in this game. It is a slow and painful process in many cases. If someone posts an update to the graphics I'll see what I can do. At least I already made up the mapping table based on the new graphics file. In theory I just need to remap the palette of any new submitted art and put that in at the exact location...if a title is extended that is another story...

I'm okay with either Edition or Version...whichever requires the least amount of changes, Ha! Also, on Koume, She is just called Koume elsewhere in the game originally (e.g. the Triotos character roster) and it creates space and length issues all over the place not to mention too many references through the game. If at all possible I'd just like to leave it.

I prefer Rally King to the fighting game. The way your character moves feels like "Another World", which I'm not a fan of. I'll have a look myself and see how to put in a space for BESTTIME .

Since the box art has been put as "Version", we will stick with that. Although the title screen saying "KOUME ver" could be made a bit better, but that is a minor complaint. Calling her "Koume" is fine, as adding Little is going to cause a lot of problems, as you have mentioned.

I'll send a PM to Mars_x about getting them updating and explain we have to stick with those lengths. Shouldn't cause much of a issue. Although the graphics that appear when you unlock the game will need updating as well. One thing at a time however.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I just realized this was finished.

Kudos to all the people involved in getting this out, you guys are heroes!

So pumped to be able to play this game! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it