FYI - RxTools and bad firmware.bin file = Odd behaviour

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by joemama1995, Sep 22, 2015.

1. joemama1995
    OP

joemama1995 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    United States
    FYI - If you use a bad/incorrect firmware.bin file with RxTools (2.6 and 3.0), you will always boot to the Installation Data Suite screen and none of your settings will stick ("Quick boot" setting for instance). RxTools will take around a minute to load each time. CIA installation and games still work though.

Not sure where I downloaded the bad/incorrect firmware.bin, but I eventually figured it out by checking the md5 on the firmware.bin file I had versus the one downloaded via the python script (recommended).

RxTools developers, if you're listening, a check or warning on the firmware.bin would be really helpful.

2. BMO

BMO GBAtemp Regular

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    just use someone elses data folder and it fixes the issue

3. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    It's not rxTools developer's fault, but the lack of your own knowledge.

Why don't you download the firmware.bin by the BUNDLED /tools/cdn_firm.py?

Each rxTools beta version has its unique rxinstaller.nds & suitable firmware.bin. You should refresh them on every version changing.

Last edited by MelonGx, Sep 23, 2015
  4. joemama1995
    OP

joemama1995 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    United States
    I'm not blaming anyone. Just sharing something that I experienced and I'm certain other users have experienced (seen similar postings).

5. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    Well actually that got kind of ignored because it is assumed that every new version will probably need a new firmware.bin generation as well as NDS exploit installer.