From the darkest depths (and Kickstarter)... Shadowrun Returns

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's fair to say that Shadowrun for the Xbox 360 and PC wasn't very good, and the sales seem to reflect that. Well, the original creator of the franchise, after taking back the rights to his creation back in 2007, is hoping to revive Shadowrun from its vegetative state. With the power of Kickstarter, that may just happen.

...Jordan Weisman wants your money to help bring Shadowrun Returns to life. And who is Jordan Weisman? He founded the original FASA Corporation, the company behind the classic RPG franchisesBattletech and Shadowrun, and FASA Interactive, which gave us the hit Mechwarrior PC games. He worked on games like Crimson Skies and Mage Knight: Apocalypse after FASA Interactive was acquired by Microsoft, and it's also worth noting that he was not at all involved in the 2007Shadowrun FPS debacle.

He's been around and he knows his stuff, in other words, and now he's decided to join his fellow grizzled game designers on the Kickstarter bandwagon with Shadowrun Returns, a "2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat."
Source: The Escapist

The Kickstarter campaign has already raised more than half of its stated $400,000 goal. If you're interested into contributing to this, you can check it out here.

Reactions: Thug

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool beans. I rather liked the Shadowrun FPS (pretty inventive, though lackluster), but the series as a whole needs to get back to it's roots.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
agreed. granted, the SNES title wasn't turn-based, and run-and-gun is HARD on that game, but it's a ton of fun, and the context menus were very well integrated. plus, we needs more propr cyberpunk games. and highly-contextual tactical combat sounds a ton like XCOM and Jagged Alliance (and Nethack and POWDER and roguelikes), which is right up my alley.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah it looks great! I wasn't able to be a backer at kickstarter, but really really want a physical copy of the game, and wouldn't mind the hardcover book either! I hope they'll become available :3

Reactions: Thug

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
So the game is out today but I didn't realize it's only for PC and Mac and that the android and ios versions will be released 'at a later date'.
My PC is still in storage and I was hoping to play it on my tablet. Looks like Shadowrun won't return for me just yet!

Is anyone planning on buying the game today? Would love to hear some impressions from tempers. I just read the eurogamer and IGN reviews which scored the game 8 and 7.3 respectively.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So the game is out today but I didn't realize it's only for PC and Mac and that the android and ios versions will be released 'at a later date'.
My PC is still in storage and I was hoping to play it on my tablet. Looks like Shadowrun won't return for me just yet!

Is anyone planning on buying the game today? Would love to hear some impressions from tempers. I just read the eurogamer and IGN reviews which scored the game 8 and 7.3 respectively.

I'm afraid I can't afford it today. I will have to wait for a later date to get it, especially since I'm highly interested in the Anthology that comes with the deluxe version :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*