OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
_49211931_ndqgoli2.gif

Frank Martin Gill and his partner are cleared to adopt two brothers they fostered
A Florida court has overturned the state's ban on gay adoption, the only one of its kind in the US.
Governor Charlie Crist said Florida would immediately cease enforcing the 33-year-old ban.
Appeals court judges found "no rational basis" for the ban. The case was brought by a gay couple seeking to adopt two brothers they had fostered.
The state has 30 days to decide whether to appeal. Ban backers argue children need both a mother and a father.
"It's a great day for children," Gov Crist said. "Children deserve a loving home."
The Florida law was the only one in the US that explicitly banned gays from adopting, according to court filings.
The court on Wednesday affirmed the adoption by Frank Martin Gill and his male partner of two brothers from the state foster system. The couple had fostered the boys for six years.
The case is likely to be heard by the higher Florida Supreme Court before the overturn is final.
"Florida prefers that children be placed in homes where there is the potential for a mother and father," ban supporter Matthew Staver, founder of Orlando-based Liberty Counsel, told the Miami Herald newspaper.
"Homosexual adoption excludes children from ever having the opportunity for both genders - a mom and a dad in the household."
The Florida appeals court rejected testimony in favour of the ban, saying, "experts' opinions were not valid from a scientific point of view".[/p]
icon11.gif
Source

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
"Florida prefers that children be placed in homes where there is the potential for a mother and father," ban supporter Matthew Staver, founder of Orlando-based Liberty Counsel, told the Miami Herald newspaper.
"Homosexual adoption excludes children from ever having the opportunity for both genders - a mom and a dad in the household."

Lamest argument I have ever seen. Seriously, stop making decision for others. Just ask the child if he or she is okay with it. Why do Americans make decision for other people in the first place?

Facepalm.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
trumpet-205 said:
Just ask the child if he or she is okay with it.
That's sort of a lame argument in itself, a child can't make these sort of responsible decisions by themselves, but I get what you mean.
Research shows that the only problem that children of same-sexed parents have is the prejudice they suffer from other people.

But yeah, "Children need both a mummy and a daddy" is lame. What about single/divorced/widowed parents? What's most important is that a child has a nurturing and loving environment, even from homosexual parents, adoptive or otherwise.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
What's most important is that a child has a nurturing and loving environment, even from homosexual parents, adoptive or otherwise.

Yeah but being a kid is hard enough, being adopted harder yet.

Now imagine some douche at school finding out you got 2 dads or 2 moms...

I remember being teased in school about my last name (I later changed it) I mean that was bad enough lol

Thats the only problem I see with the gay adoption.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
JonthanD said:
Now imagine some douche at school finding out you got 2 dads or 2 moms...
You shouldn't give in to assholes, or else they'll rule the world. Sure, a kid might get teased for having gay adoptive parents, but the same would happen if the parents were short, fat, black, Asian, Jewish, anything some random asshole might find objectionable and poke fun at. We can't ban gay adoptions merely because "there are assholes out there".

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Good for Florida. There are too many kids in the system needing families, to constantly bicker over the sexual preference of those willing to save the kids from that shitty life. And like Veho said, who gives a damn if you're verbally bullied, you shouldn't prevent something from happening, just so you wont be bullied. That's letting the little douchebags win, and kids will be made fun of for said parent characteristics, along with uncommon names, how the kid looks, what he likes to do. Should we not let kids have certain names, look certain ways, and do certain things, cause they might get picked on for it?

Anyways, Go Florida!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...