Tutorial  Updated

Fix SSL module brick without a NAND backup using Bluubomb

header.png

I had my Wii U bricked since 2017 when I messed up the SSL module trying to bypass Miiverse restrictions. Everytime I turned on the console it freezed while loading the Wii U Menu.

I hadn't a NAND backup so it was dead with no hope of ever be revived... until now.

With the help of @GaryOderNichts I was able to fix it. He developed a custom version of his tool Bluubomb which is capable of reinstall the module. So, this is how we (he) did it:

First of all, please check the Bluubomb thread and get familiar with the tool. Also, neither me nor Gary are responsible for any further damage you could cause to your console.

You will need:

- A PC running Linux, in my case I used Ubuntu 21.10.
- A bluetooth adapter.
- A full sized SD card or a micro SD card with an adapter.

Step 1: Download and set the Bluubomb requirements.
  1. Run
    Bash:
    sudo apt install build-essential libbluetooth-dev libglib2.0-dev libdbus-1-dev git
    to install the required dependencies.
  2. Run
    Bash:
    git clone https://github.com/rnconrad/WiimoteEmulator && cd WiimoteEmulator
  3. Run
    Bash:
    source ./build-custom.sh
    to build BlueZ.
    Don't worry if building the emulator itself fails due to missing SDL headers. Just continue with the next steps.
  4. Stop the already running bluetooth service
    Bash:
    sudo systemctl disable --now bluetooth
  5. Reboot
  6. Run
    Bash:
    sudo hciconfig hci0 reset
  7. Run
    Bash:
    cd WiimoteEmulator && sudo ./bluez-4.101/dist/sbin/bluetoothd -d -n
Step 2: Download and set Bluubomb.
  1. Get the custom version of Bluubomb from here (it has a fix that Gary is preparing for a future release). Unzip it and copy it to the folder where you gonna exec it.
  2. Open a new terminal and make the bluubomb file executable by running
    Bash:
    chmod +x bluubomb
Step 3: Download and run JNUSTool
  1. Get JNUSTool from here and then download the 0005001b10054000 wup (I have a US console, check the corresponding wup for your region!).
Step 4: Download the custom Bluubomb kernel.
  1. Get the custom kernel bin from here, unzip it and rename it to bluu_kern.bin
Step 5: Copy the payload to your SD card.
  1. Format your SD card to FAT32.
  2. Copy the bluu_kern.bin to the root of your SD card.
  3. Create a folder named install to the root of your SD card. Copy the contents of the 0005001b10054000 wup to it.
Step 6: Set the console.
  1. Insert your SD card.
  2. Turn on your console, wait a couple of seconds and turn it off by long pressing the Power button. This will trigger the "Force the console to shut down" screen the next time you Power on.
  3. Power on the console again and when you reach this screen, press the Sync button on your console, this will display the Sync screen.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Step 7: Run bluubomb on your computer.
  1. Run
    Bash:
    sudo ./bluubomb
    and wait for the pairing process to complete.
    This might take a minute. If nothing occours after a while, press Ctrl + C and try again.
3.png

At this point Bluubomb should have sent the payload to the console and installed a fresh copy of the SSL module, if everything went right the console should reboot by itself and load correctly. If you copied the files wrong the console will Power off.

Thanks again to @GaryOderNichts for his help and patience.

dedicated.png

Attachments

• bluubomb.zip
    13.5 KB · Views: 243
  • install_stuff.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by testing_this,

gavinlai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
My JPN console has freeze issue. After boot up to menu, if I quickly click the system setting, it can entry it. But if I wait some time after boot up, and then click the system menu, the system will freeze(background music continue play), other apps the same.

So I think this may be menu or other apps file damaged, I hope used your method to reinstall menu to solove, but failed.

Have you seen this before?

Thanks.

Pepeu557

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Would it be possible to use Bluubomb to fix a probably corrupted file on a Wii U that is freezing with buzzing noise?
I got the console with this issue and seems to be a SLC problem, it didn't had any CFW installed so it probably got the problem while playing a original game. I've installed Tiramisu to see if it could bypass the problem, but I'm still having the issue.. I noticed that it has more chances to freeze with 3D games, and sometimes I get stuck on the loading screen when I try to start a game or app, 2D games or Virtual Console games seems to run without any issues for more time. Also sometimes when I turn on the console, it gives me the 160-2203 error.When I got the console, it was already updated on 5.5.5U, so there's a chance of the issue have started after the update. I also noticed that some stuff stops loading or rendering during a gameplay before the console freezes, I was playing Zelda Phantom Hourglass and the sprites were glitching before it freezes, that's why I think it can be a corrupted file, when I checked the logs, some of the errors was core related, could be a .rpl file that got corrupted when the console was updated.

TigerG8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to use Bluubomb to fix a probably corrupted file on a Wii U that is freezing with buzzing noise?
I got the console with this issue and seems to be a SLC problem, it didn't had any CFW installed so it probably got the problem while playing a original game. I've installed Tiramisu to see if it could bypass the problem, but I'm still having the issue.. I noticed that it has more chances to freeze with 3D games, and sometimes I get stuck on the loading screen when I try to start a game or app, 2D games or Virtual Console games seems to run without any issues for more time. Also sometimes when I turn on the console, it gives me the 160-2203 error.When I got the console, it was already updated on 5.5.5U, so there's a chance of the issue have started after the update. I also noticed that some stuff stops loading or rendering during a gameplay before the console freezes, I was playing Zelda Phantom Hourglass and the sprites were glitching before it freezes, that's why I think it can be a corrupted file, when I checked the logs, some of the errors was core related, could be a .rpl file that got corrupted when the console was updated.

Sounds like a memory handling issue. Try this workaround, go to 'settings - data management - copy\delete files - memory console' and copy any file to an
external storage device, then reboot. I hope this helps!

TigerG8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My JPN console has freeze issue. After boot up to menu, if I quickly click the system setting, it can entry it. But if I wait some time after boot up, and then click the system menu, the system will freeze(background music continue play), other apps the same.

So I think this may be menu or other apps file damaged, I hope used your method to reinstall menu to solove, but failed.

Have you seen this before?

Thanks.
Sounds like the same memory handling issue i just addressed to the next one down lol. If you can get into your settings, go to 'data management - copy\delete files - memory console' and then copy any file to an
external storage device, then reboot. I hope this helps!

mariob0y

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Original repo for Wiimote Emulator hasn't been supported for long time, and doesn't build correctly
I tried to fix it, and it seems to work on my laptop
Here is updated fork that works (at least for me): github . com / mariob0y / WiimoteEmulator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1