Fit the 3 in 1 in an original shell?

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by science, Feb 24, 2008.

Feb 24, 2008
  1. science
    OP

Member science science rules

Canada
    Is it possible to fit the 3 in 1 in an official dust cover? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    Why not try it ? it may work cause the shells have the same size, and if not then you have to alter it a bit until it fits.

3. science
    OP

Canada
    I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver, and I only want to buy one if I'm sure it will work

4. FaRReR

Member FaRReR GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Are you trying to put it in a Crimson/Onyx DS? I know that the Onyx part is a different colour than the Onyx DS Lite, less shiny and more textured...
    Hmm, I will see if it looks bad when I get my M3 Real.

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Not without extensive modification.

6. science
    OP

Canada
    Have you done it yourself? I am going to attempt it soon and want to know if there are some guides etc. out there

7. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    Many people have said they are going to do this. To date I have yet to hear of of a successful swap. I think that once you get both apart you will see the level of modding you will have to do and decide it won't be worth it. But if you do it, make a guide along the way.

I wanted to swap the 3n1 into the translucent black cover that came with my DX case. I have swapped cases on my Wii, Wii remotes and nunchuks, Xbox 1, PS2, and my DSLite but I gave up the the 3n1 to dust cover swap.

8. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    you will have to trim the inside of the cover a lot and the screw is in a different place. The inside of the dust cover is a lot thicker than the 3-in-1. I gave up on this idea.

9. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I failed miserably when doing this. It's almost impossible it get in there after long hours of sanding and cutting. And if you don't do it right, the battery is going to move a lot or the rumble won't work. If you want it flush, just sand the Ez 3 in 1. If you want a glossy back, just use that clear(not invisible) tape.

10. science
    OP

Canada
    Hmm, seems like I am up against a beast of a challenge. What I was going to do was use a dremel to cut space for the battery, and then just set it in there, and using like superglue (if possible) just glue it in so I won't have to worry about the screw.

I will document it all, and if it works, I will have a guide. If it doesn't work, it'll show what not to do [​IMG]

11. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1001611

Here's my experience of trying to fit a NDSL 3in1 into a GBA shell. Basically if you don't want to read all that, the start of all problems is the fact that the NDSL-sized motherboard has a fat chip on its back, and only the original 3in1 NDSL case backside has enough depth to fit it.