First video of RIZ-ZOAWD (Wizard of Oz RPG on DS)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.gamekyo.com/video12618_riz-zoawd-first-video.html

The first video and gameplay footage of the GORGEOUS Wizard of Oz RPG for the Nintendo DS. The game looks spectacular with vivid, detailed, and colorful 3D graphics. The game is in full 3D and is one of the best looking DS game I've ever seen.

You play as Dorothy (unless they changed her name in this game) and you control the game using just the stylus. You move by spinning a track-ball on the touch screen. It works similarly to Pac n Roll. The faster you spin it, the faster Dorothy runs. It works like any RPG except enemy encounters aren't random. You can see them on screen and choose to enter battle. Battle is like Dragon Quest with a first-person perspective. You don't seem to see your characters as they conduct the battle. You use the touch screen to select commands.

You seem to be able to employ the help of the Scarecrow, Tinman, Cowardly Lion, and possibly Toto.

There's said to be a seasonal change system in the game. We've had screenshots where the game shows Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter sections of the game. I don't know how it works. It would be awesome if the game detects your system's date to show the current seasons! But probably not. We'll see.

RIZ-ZOAWD is being developed by Media Vision and published by D3. It's set for a Winter release date in Japan. That could mean either late 2008 or early 2009 (the Gamefaqs profile has it Q4 2008).

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's a great idea for a game, although the running mechanic has me concerned. That could grow _very_ tedious after five minutes, I hope they don't expect us to keep it up for the duration of the game.

As for the seasonal mechanic, gimmicks like what you're saying are absurd. Video games typically last for maybe twenty hours, not the eight months over which you could actually detect an observable difference within the game. Look at The Sims for DS and how badly their attempt to incorporate real time failed. The only thing it would promote is people constantly changing their DS clocks, and that would be a nuisance factor on par with The Sims' blunder.

It looks promising otherwise. I recall Alice in Wonderland garnering favorable reviews for the Gameboy Color so there is potential in these licenses when they're given to the right people.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
dib said:
As for the seasonal mechanic, gimmicks like what you're saying are absurd. Video games typically last for maybe twenty hours, not the eight months over which you could actually detect an observable difference within the game. Look at The Sims for DS and how badly their attempt to incorporate real time failed. The only thing it would promote is people constantly changing their DS clocks, and that would be a nuisance factor on par with The Sims' blunder.

umm.... This isn't animal crossing. I'm pretty sure it uses a sped up clock or the seasons change depending on your progress through the game.
The game looks weird but I'll have to give it a go.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Xcalibur said:
dib said:

umm.... This isn't animal crossing. I'm pretty sure it uses a sped up clock or the seasons change depending on your progress through the game.
The game looks weird but I'll have to give it a go.
That would be my assumption, but that was all in response to granville's statement that they hope the seasons change with your actual calendar.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Looks great, very interesting game mechanics..
QUOTE said:
you'll have to spend a few months in the gym before the release..
I'm starting next week..
tongue.gif

Game looks too good to be missed!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Bakerman vs. Wario