Final Fantasy XIV Not Coming to Xbox Due to Microsoft Policies

Zorua

I'm not a furry.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't get why microsoft isn't simply allowing it. It would be a piece of cake convincing them to make the pc version windows only (or even windows 8 only). And AFAIK, microsoft still makes that windows operating system thingy. It would also give people more reasons to go online, which is something they kind of wanted just a short time ago.

Also: am I missing some sources? Because I don't see a single mention of the xbox one, or even next-gen (I'm assuming they're talking about the xbox360). No idea how that pops up all of the sudden...

I don't see what you're talking about? Since it won't be on "Xbox", it obviously implies that it won't be on the Xbox One and the Xbox 360. The article does clearly mention PS4, so next-gen is mentioned.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Boy M$, the XboxONE is looking better everyday!
Said no one ever.

I am not a big fan of MMO's, but M$ really needs to change things up because they are seriously fucking up the XFlopONE before it has even been released.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why after all these years are we still playing games on windoze? I would love to have dual boot that either runs my PC up like a console frontend or boots to win for the boring stuff. The PC boots in 30secs so it's not much of an issue.

.........it was kind of on topic.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(And ppl said ffxi didn't come to ps3 because SE was pissed at them for discontinuing the ps2 HDD) I wonder if this is the real reason there was no official ps3 ffxi.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why after all these years are we still playing games on windoze? I would love to have dual boot that either runs my PC up like a console frontend or boots to win for the boring stuff. The PC boots in 30secs so it's not much of an issue.

Because when Windows 8 was a bit more like the X360 layout the entire internet threw a hissy fit? Also, I like the ability to alt-tab for running other programs (especially browsers) at the same time.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Because Microsoft is the sole owner of directX/direct3d?

Or did you mean "why has MS not made a quick boot/BIOS level frontend that does just games?". Though I would say boot times are a non issue for almost everybody to hear them tell it nobody powers off a machine any more and hibernate/sleep is the way forward. Similarly by the time you load a network stack, the 3d setup, the input setup, the various libraries a game can use and consider everything up to security you might as well have loaded a full OS.

Reactions: exangel

Amak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warning, bringing some logic here.

Has anyone heard of any MMO in the US besides WoW? Consider that, with the fact any non-Japanese consoles flops in Japan and there's some logic behind this decision. With fanboyism would die and critical thought would return... Hopefully those people stay on the PS4 and Sony pulls another "OtherOS/removing X feature" debacle again. Get what fits your needs and move on, but you people forget how Sony burned you. We have OtherOS and them locking out PS2 dvds on the PS3 (think slim) emulators just to sell PS2 games wrapped in a new container. But I digress, for now is not the time to mention Sony in a negative light.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone heard of any MMO in the US besides WoW?

Though WOW is by far the dominant one there were ones before it many would have heard of, the earlier FF MMOs actually have a fair fanbase, eve online is pretty big, depending upon how you view it there are browser ones (RuneScape having a rather large following and some of the zombie ones not doing badly either) and the likes of the star wars one, the lord of the rings one, City of Heroes and possibly even the conan one all gained a tiny measure of popularity at one point. Finally you do have things like Guild Wars which I am not sure where it sits and similar with Phantasy Star Online.

Reactions: exangel

Lestworth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Runescape's fanbase isn't as huge as Jagex likes to portray it. Since the update that changed its combat it has gone down from an average of 130-150k players online at any moment to 75-85k players online at any one moment. Though the member count is pretty large. Its still a decent fanbase, and right now they are going though a huge change in gameplay and coding.

Day Z has gotten pretty big. People still play Maplestory as well. City of Heroes is growing from its download on the ps3. Starcraft 2 is growing as well, but that's not an RPG. I think 500k people are registered as North America for SC2? (not sure, maybe its 50k). Path of Exile is picking up a bit, but its being compared to Diablo 3 a lot so people are shying away from it (for a bit of a good reason).

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warning, bringing some logic here.

Has anyone heard of any MMO in the US besides WoW?

Here's some logic to consider:
Final Fantasy XI is SE's single most profitable Final Fantasy title. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI]
It is basically the reason they didn't go bankrupt after the damnable failure of FFXIV 1.0.
I can't name another MMO that serves multiple platforms and successfully charges the same fees they did at launch, which was 11 years ago.

------
Many FFXI players purchased the full version of the XBOX 360 game just to use their original PC/PS2 version accounts on it. Myself and many in my LS (guild) included.
It also brought a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have tried the game.
A Realm Reborn is way more appealing could easily be a console seller if Microsoft reconsiders their "platform segregation" policy. They should, because they're missing out for no good reason. Even if fans must wait til XBone. (FFXI was released for PS2 in NA more than 2 years before it was on XBOX360, so this could be a scenario to look at also.)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if Nintendo would be willing to pick up where Microsoft refused? That would be really awesome and make me even more excited when I purchase my WiiU (yes, I haven't gotten one yet, but I will)

Yet another reason to move to Japan.

I really want to live there again, but for another reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Kaden maybe contact the staff? I don't know how all that works