'Final Fantasy VII Remake' demo available now on PlayStation Store

ff7 remake.jpg

PS4 owners, rejoice! Just today, Square Enix has released a demo for the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake! This demo allows gamers to play through the opening chapter of the game, as well as the events of the iconic Mako Reactor 1 bombing mission.

Moreover, those who download the demo before May 11, 2020 will also receive an exclusive PlayStation 4 theme when the full game launches next month!

In FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, players will be drawn into a world where the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation, controls the planet’s very life force. Cloud Strife, a former member of Shinra’s elite SOLDIER unit now turned mercenary, lends his aid to an anti-Shinra organisation calling themselves Avalanche. The first game in the project is set in the city of Midgar, and is a fully standalone gaming experience designed for RPG players that crave unforgettable characters, a powerful story and the ability to choose their style of play with a battle system that merges thrilling real-time action with strategic, command-based combat.

Head to the PlayStation Store right now to try out the demo. Final Fantasy VII Remake releases on April 10, 2020.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox
:download: PlayStation Store Demo Link

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I found the boss battle in the demo to be tedious. Like the signals it gave before it attacked where too late gving you too little time to dodge or block. Maybe I need to zoom the camera out more or so.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I played the demo and it ends after the first reactor boss and asked you to pre order the game. However others are saying it is 4 times longer than that! i am wondering if different regions got different demos?

They are referring to the private demo they played in SE which has 4 chapters (ie. 4 times the length of the public demo). The one that's available to the public only has the first chapter.

Side note: this demo ends at the same point as the original FF7 demo.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Played the demo and certainly can't wait for april. Combat is kinda mixed bag for me and reminds me of 15, it's fun but can be downright chaotic. Boss fight is more battle of attrition rather than strategy. You will also wrestle with the camera in some combat areas.

Last edited by Paulsar99,
Reactions: chartube12

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I played the original back when it first came out, and have replayed it more times than I can remember periodically in the time between then and now. That said, it's probably 10 years since I last played through it on the PS1, and I never played any of the ports/rereleases on other systems.
Because of my fondness for the original, I was kind of in two minds about the remake. I played through the demo last night and simultaneously enjoyed it and disliked it.
I think my issue is that I love turn based battles - It's what made me fall in love with traditional jrpg's. I found the 'real time' action battle system to be too chaotic to fully feel like I was ever doing the right thing at the right time (especially when you get to the point of having more than just Cloud to work with). Other than that, the game looks great and balances the nostalgia for the original quite nicely.
Will I buy it? Certainly not at launch, and almost certainly not at full price.

Reactions: naughty_cat

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I found the 'real time' action battle system to be too chaotic to fully feel like I was ever doing the right thing at the right time (especially when you get to the point of having more than just Cloud to work with).
ive not pld as waiting for launch day but like other rpg realtime battles surly you kno it could take over 100 battles for yr brain to get used to the system and then it flows naturally-roughly how many battles you encounter

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ive not pld as waiting for launch day but like other rpg realtime battles surly you kno it could take over 100 battles for yr brain to get used to the system and then it flows naturally-roughly how many battles you encounter
Not counting the boss fight(s), there was probably 20+ battles in my playthrough of the demo - a handful of which were essentially tutorials.
But, I've never been a fan of realtime battles in rpg's. The only times I've enjoyed it were Fallout 3 and Borderlands... but that was because it felt more like a traditional action game than an rpg. If I want to play an action game, I'll play an action game thanks.
Thankfully Atlus and NISA (among others) are still producing engaging turn-based jrpg's to satisfy people like me.

Reactions: naughty_cat

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's supposed to come out on PC...but then you have to wait for everything outside of Midgar to get done...and probably then the finale if they're basing the chapters of the games off of the discs of the original...

...in other words, wait until 2030 to play this, if you even still care anymore.
Wait, what do you mean by this? What difference does it make what platform it's on? FFXV for PS4 and PC Were basically identical other than the PC version having a few extras like the mod menu and better looking aesthetics.

I'm not sure if the DLC was a PC exclusive, the 'episofes' for each character, but they weren't part of the main story so you could still finish the main game without them.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Most of the battles in the demo came down to press square to win. No brain power involved. At this point of the game you'd expect that though, given the scorpion guard is the first point in both games where you have to start thinking about what you're doing.

What got me initially was thinking I should run around and try to avoid damage, that was a waste of time and just distracted me from what actually matters during the battle: Watching the ATB.

Keep pressing your attack until your ATB fills up, then use a potion or magic as is necessary. That's basically it. Guarding is mostly pointless. It differs from the original game only in the fact that you have to press the attack button constantly.

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Calm down people says aeris - real-time or turn based are both good for rpgs - though as games become mor graphically advanced studios want to show off faster and mor thrilling action with ther visual styles and real-time is best option for tht

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
I can appreciate that a lot of long-time FF7 players, myself included, really just wanted to see the original game receive a makeover, preserving the original style. In the 20 years that FF7 has languished in its original form, all the games around it have received something, some even multiple times (FF4), even FF8 got a minimum effort texture pack. Too easy to be resentful.

D

Deleted User

You put down the game for being a remake. Then gave a false description of what a remake is. Demonstrating complete ignorance to the well established fact that this game not only has different gameplay, but is a different genre of RPG altogether from the original. Ignoring that fact, the visuals aren't just updated, they're completely overhauled to the point where they don't even need to change the gameplay for it to be a new experience.

People assume you're trolling because you're ignoring everything well known about the game and shrugging it off as no more than a graphical improvement.

supershadow64ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You put down the game for being a remake. Then gave a false description of what a remake is. Demonstrating complete ignorance to the well established fact that this game not only has different gameplay, but is a different genre of RPG altogether from the original. Ignoring that fact, the visuals aren't just updated, they're completely overhauled to the point where they don't even need to change the gameplay for it to be a new experience.

People assume you're trolling because you're ignoring everything well known about the game and shrugging it off as no more than a graphical improvement.

I think you're putting a lot of words in my mouth, and I think you're getting defensive over this game and ir's causing you to project quite a bit. I just don't see the hype or the excitement for the game. I've played FF7 recently and while I think it's a good game, I'm just not hyped for the remake and I was offering my reasoning for such.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are n
I think you're putting a lot of words in my mouth, and I think you're getting defensive over this game and ir's causing you to project quite a bit. I just don't see the hype or the excitement for the game. I've played FF7 recently and while I think it's a good game, I'm just not hyped for the remake and I was offering my reasoning for such.
We're not saying you're wrong for not being hyped. We're saying you're wrong for assuming a remake is simply "the same game" and therefore is not worth getting hyped over at all. Your current explanation that "You played ff7 and it isn't all that great" is irrelevant to your claims that it is "the same game." In fact, your original claim was not that you aren't hyped, but that by telling us that it was the same game, you were "raining on the hype train" aka ruining other peoples hype and therefore your subjective level of hype is not and never was in question.

D

Deleted User

I'm not interested in Final Fantasy.

supershadow64ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are n

We're not saying you're wrong for not being hyped. We're saying you're wrong for assuming a remake is simply "the same game" and therefore is not worth getting hyped over at all. Your current explanation that "You played ff7 and it isn't all that great" is irrelevant to your claims that it is "the same game." In fact, your original claim was not that you aren't hyped, but that by telling us that it was the same game, you were "raining on the hype train" aka ruining other peoples hype and therefore your subjective level of hype is not and never was in question.

Again, take it easy a little bit. This isn't a huge deal. You're blowing what I said out of proportion and trying to make me seem like I think my word is law. I'm not trying to attack you or your game I just offerred a bit of opinion about remakes. I'm sorry if it seemed aggressive, that's not at all the mood or point I was trying to convey.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, take it easy a little bit. This isn't a huge deal. You're blowing what I said out of proportion and trying to make me seem like I think my word is law. I'm not trying to attack you or your game I just offerred a bit of opinion about remakes. I'm sorry if it seemed aggressive, that's not at all the mood or point I was trying to convey.
I love how you think every reply to you is from an angry person for some reason XD. You need to realize that just because you've been corrected doesn't mean we're angry.

Reactions: tabzer
D

Deleted User

Why would you offer an opinion on something that you demonstrably have no clue about? That's begging to start a fire online.

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't mean to rain on the hype train but.

You played it once you played it before, a remake is just a game you're paying for again but slightly prettier.
Just seen this and what a load crap you talk- first it was released in 1997 and thers gonna be quite a lot of people out ther who havnt pld it since so it's gonna be nice to come back to a game tht was full of greatness and this is a complete overhaul the graphics and the gameplay - this is what I wanted a mor action based game its going to be totally different from what I pld originally and plus thers going to be a different trophy list which lots of gamers play for - so it's not just a remake it's gonna be a classic remake

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up