Files on MicroSD are screwed up

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Alato, Feb 22, 2009.

Feb 22, 2009

Files on MicroSD are screwed up by Alato at 12:46 AM (1,218 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Alato
    OP

Member Alato GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Over the past couple of years, problems have come up with my microSD cards.

I recently bought an EDGE with a nicely loaded 2GB Kingston MicroSD for a friend. A bit less than a week later he told me that it's not working anymore. The MicroSD may have screwed up when attempting to save with Colors!.

It's a problem that I'm familiar with, it doesn't load with the flashcard, and when reading it on computer, all the files are gone, and three folders with weird jumbled names are present.

The first few times this happened to me, I'd reformat my card, which was okay since I usually had a pretty recent backup. One time, however, I didn't and couldn't format it, even though all my data was gone- it's a long process getting everything on, and I didn't want to look at all my work being gone. I left the card for about a week and when I had the time to format it, all my files were back. Of course I was very happy, backed up all my files and played some games.
    Then it happened again. This time I just checked the card for errors(or maybe I ran scandisk?), and all my files came back(some filenames were shortened, like "DONKEYK1.SMC").

Anyway, being his first week with a flashcard, he played it a lot, and had a lot of images he drew, music he made and saves of games he played. I told him to check it for errors, but this did nothing to save the files, it only made the corrupted folders go away. It's still full and doesn't allow him to put anything on it, but it's screwed up.

So are there any ideas of what I/he can do to fix it without formatting the card?

2. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    He's got view hidden folders turned on right? (sorry if it's a dumb question, but thought it best to check. Any file fragments Scandisk finds it will attempt to put in a hidden folder on the card)

3. Alato
    OP

Canada
    No, no, I actually haven't asked which I should of, so I'll ask him now.

EDIT: Nothing appears.

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    format it and start over

5. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It sounds like someone forgot to use "safely remove hardware" and their microSD card got corrupted.

-Bri

6. Alato
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, may be the case, although it was working on his DS in the morning and stopped later, and he hadn't been on computer.

Either way, I guess I'm going to have to help him set it up again, and maybe find some close saves on Gamefaqs.

7. kenman1

Member kenman1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The samething happen to me but i lost all my files and i don't back up [​IMG] so yea i am screwd