Figure News: Certain Amiibo will not last forever

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Dec 9, 2014.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    [​IMG]
    There have been some rumor's going around the past couple of days that certain Amiibo figures, although only being on the market for a couple of weeks, had already been discontinued. I first learned of the news from temper Soulx, who shared with me this tweet from a local gaming shop.​
    [​IMG]
    At first I was skeptical, until coming across a recent article from gamespot getting official confirmation of the cancellation.​
    :arrow: Source
    Prices for the 3 Amiibo's listed above have already skyrocketed, from the initial $12.99 MSRP, to as high as $60-70 online on Ebay and Amazon.com. ​
    If you plan on purchasing Amiibo's, but are curious as to which ones may disappear sooner rather than later, I actually have some strategic news for you. There are obvious reasons why certain amiibo's have sold out faster over others.​
    Let's take a look at the Amiibo's listed above.​
    Marth, a fire emblem character that has next to no merchandise associated with it other than about 2 existing figures made by Figma. ​
    Villager, from a popular Nintendo franchise that has never had a figure release other than the Isabelle Nendoroid by goodsmile.​
    And Wii Fit Trainer, which has next to no existing merchandise connected to the franchise. ​
    As you can see, franchises that typically have no recognition will typically be the first ones to fly off the shelf, whereas the heavy hitters will most likely stick around for the duration of their lifespan. ​
    So if you plan on picking up anything from Amiibo Wave 2, which launches this Decemer 14th, and consists of Zelda, Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Pit, and Diddy Kong, you may want to focus on grabbing a Falcon, Little Mac, and Pit, as merchandise for those specific characters is sparse. ​
    Amiibo Wave 3 will launch in February 2015, and will be the first wave to include retail exclusive Amiibo's, which include the following:​
    Shulk - Gamestop Exclusive​
    MetaKnight - Best Buy Exclusive​
    Lucario - Toys R Us exclusive​
    Also reportedly, the Lucario Pre-order is already sold out.​
    :arrow: Source
    All retailers for wave 3 will also include Bowser, Toon Link, Shiek, Ike, King DeeDeeDee, Sonic, and MegaMan.​
    So what effect does this news take on anyone here? Do the Amiibo's play any significance in your life, or are you a scalper looking to make some bank off a Nintendo fans need for collectible figures? ​

:arrow:PPOTW - Got amiibo?

2. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    I think it's ironic that Wii Fit lived on store shelves for $99 for years and years and years.

chavosaur likes this.
  3. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Yep typical Nintendo tactics creating artificial demand and scarcity. Now every time a non core character is released people will go into a frenzy to buy it because its "limited" and it will end up being $50 on places like ebay straight away.

4. chavosaur
    OP

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucario-Ami...519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9d816a9f
    Speak of the devil
    3 sold within an hour of the listing going up.
    People are freaking nuts I tell you.

5. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Amiibos where an obvious money gouge right from the start and I am really not surprised that this is their marketing strategy, the sad thing is the people that will make the most money will be resellers and not Nintendo. I can already see the collectible market being ridiculous for these things a few years down the line with this news now and its sad that so many suckers will fall for it and pay through the nose for their nintendo branded skylanders.

6. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Nintendo's just being a dick because considering these could and would have been their Skylanders it's sad to see that they're going to throw it away with stupid decisions like these.

I don't even care about the Amiibos but instead of giving scalpers the fame they should be the ones selling the Amiibos for the proper prices.

7. Serious_Heavy

Serious_Heavy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    France
    Noir York City
    It sucks for Marth, oh well I never planned to buy Amiibos but, who understands Nintendo's moves?

8. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Picked up a few myself today lol I couldn't resist!

Here is a pic of my amiibos for those of you who can't find them to treasure forever (nostalgic filter effects added by me):
    14181630098550.jpg

Now you can see these rare amiibo whenever you want!

chavosaur and Serious_Heavy like this.
  9. Serious_Heavy

Dec 9, 2014
    France
    Noir York City
    At least we can see these amiibos... forever!

T-hug likes this.
  10. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    Why, Nintendo? Why do you consistently do this sh*t??

11. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Oh well... I passed by Marth amiibos several times in a Mediamarkt at the end of November, and I remember not buying any of them because the eyes looked like painted by a blind person suffering Parkinson.
    I hoped I could find one figure that got luckier during the manufacture process, guess not anymore.

12. Serious_Heavy

Dec 9, 2014
    France
    Noir York City
    Like when Nintendo dropped GC retrocompatibility with the latter Wiis?

13. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Really Nintendo? You just screwed me! I was waiting to get an amiibo of Marth and now you cancel it. Figures

14. BlackKnight666

BlackKnight666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2014
    I can understand that they wouldn't last forever, as much as a fire emblem fan as i am, they really need to stop using marth. He isn't the only fire emblem character lol

15. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    God dammit. I bought 9 already hoping to eventually get the full set (Wii fit trainer being one of them). Now I'll just not bother with the rest and thank god it's only 9 that I wasted money on.

Stay classy nintendo

16. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Well my ones I'll get are
    are

Wave 1
    Samus,kirby,Dk, link,(they prob last a while),fox (for my sis)

Wave 2
    Pit,Mac and falcon( as they will go fast) and Luigi (hell last)

Wave 3
    Most of them except toon link and shiek and bowser

17. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Anyone that wanted to get them I would recommend still checking stores right now. My local ones have loads of them all except for Villager which they'll have on the 16th.

18. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    You bet im going to call all the stores for them even the ones like Victoria's secret because you never know they could have a Wii fit trainer!

19. chavosaur
    OP

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    The nearest Marth at a target near me was 167 miles away :lol:

20. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Pretty much the only reason for me to get the Pit amiibo cus it's Pit.
    I might get 2, one in a box and one for display.