• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Federal appeals court expands gun rights

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
I know there's americans in this thread (mostly) so whilst not intending to cast pearls at swine, if I may say - why are you focusing on this being an issue where the domestic abuser might be able to get a gun. If someone is going to break the law they will get a gun irrespective, however wouldn't it stand to reason this also allows a victim of abuse or someone intending on self defense to have the firearm which may save their life?

but no, aericans hear the word trump and start frothing at the mouth.
Post automatically merged:

I know there's americans in this thread (mostly) so whilst not intending to cast pearls at swine, if I may say - why are you focusing on this being an issue where the domestic abuser might be able to get a gun. If someone is going to break the law they will get a gun irrespective, however wouldn't it stand to reason this also allows a victim of abuse or someone intending on self defense to have the firearm which may save their life?

Reactions: sombrerosonic

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
however wouldn't it stand to reason this also allows a victim of abuse or someone intending on self defense to have the firearm which may save their life?
By the time I have sent this message, the victim would be dead. In less than a full complete second.
Again, ya'll assume that they abuser is going to scream and shout. AND THEN the pull the gun out, for the victim to see and pull out theirs.

That's not how that would play out, the abuser is going to be extra pissed that they got a restraining order against them. and they'll pop that person without warning, no indication.
20 milliseconds is what your up against. 20 milliseconds is the amount of time it takes to pull the trigger.
For comparison, it takes 100 milseconds for us to complete a full blink.

Instead of presuming the victim is going to have enough time to pull out their weapon in less than 20 miliseconds and fire. Or be lucky to at least see the abuser pulling out the gun and comprehend it within that time frame. And have the training and the skill to both pull out the fire arm, and aim it within that near exact time period. Which is pretty unrealistic because the abuser pulled out the gun first and likely will be able to fire first.

It's better to prevent the abuser from getting a firearm.
Because with this court ruling, it punishes the victims, and enables the abuser.
Instead of the victim having to worry about that abuser most likely violating the restraining order. They now have to worry about a unforseen gun they can pull. And have MUCH MUCH easier access to that option.

Edit: for some reason I said microseconds. That is incorrect. 0.2 was referring to seconds. I have amended my posts with that change.

You are admitting that restraining orders are worthless. The aggressor should be nowhere close to the other person to even use a gun
Not really. And two
The aggressor shouldn't have a damn gun in the first place.
The aggressor comes at any point close the victim. The victim can call police fight back whatever it takes. Including, threatening with a gun.
and threaten even more legal action.
You can't do that while your dead.
The victim cannot do that when they are shot first. And that's a situation they should never be put in.
The abuser is going to have to make their case why they should be able to have a fire arm again. That's how it should be.

Not this insane court ruling where the victim has to defend themselves, AGAIN.
The victim shouldn't have to make a case asking that they (the government) don't give the piece of crap who has already assaulted them, more power.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,
Reactions: IncredulousP

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fourth amendment requires a judge or jury consider the case, and due process requires the same. Proper legal procedure is followed when it comes to red flag laws, certainly more so than when it comes to no-knock warrants being issued.
The 4th Amendment requires a judge or jury to make a decision of guilty/not guilty in a case. Due process requires both parties to be present in court so the defendant can actually, you know, defend themselves. Restraining orders are served to people outside of court along with a court summons.
And you know full well that there has been no meaningful police reform since 1991, if anything they've since been granted carte blanche to get away with even more criminal activity. Once again you demonstrate that you aren't capable of arguing in good faith.
Doesn't matter. You can't assign malice to people from a source of different people. You continue to gaslight and then say I don't argue in good faith. Gtfoh, LOL!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Xzi

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Victims of abuse could always get guns in the US so I don't know what this comment has to do with the news story

The only thing that changed is those under restrictions for domestic abuse/accused of such no longer have the restrictions

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Anyone convinced of demotic abuse shouldn’t be allowed to get a gun. Not just that but honestly a lot of people shouldn’t be allowed to have guns and a basic psychological test and social media screening could easily weed them out. There’s a reason why the US is literally the only devolved country with such a massive gun problem and it’s definitely not because the “good guys” don’t have guns. And no, denying these people guns doesn’t not violate their 2nd amendment rights. It is not your God given right to own a gun.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone convinced of demotic abuse shouldn’t be allowed to get a gun. Not just that but honestly a lot of people shouldn’t be allowed to have guns and a basic psychological test and social media screening could easily weed them out. There’s a reason why the US is literally the only devolved country with such a massive gun problem and it’s definitely not because the “good guys” don’t have guns. And no, denying these people guns doesn’t not violate their 2nd amendment rights. It is not your God given right to own a gun.
Your authoritarianism is showing.

Last edited by Flame,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone convinced of demotic abuse shouldn’t be allowed to get a gun.

I assume you meant "convicted" and "domestic," but that is the law and has been the law for a long time. Almost 30 years. Look up: Lautenburg amendment.

Of course, a lot of people out there who've been convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors possess a firearm anyway, just as many convicted felons do, even though the law prohibits it. That's because gun control laws only restrict the behavior of people who obey the law. Just like how drunks and drug addicts keep on driving DUI even after their license is revoked. The law only works on people who obey it. And people who obey the law, generally, don't do violence anyway, without justifiable circumstances. Ironic, isn't it?

Anyway, the decision being discussed in this thread is about "domestic violence restraining orders" which are issued when a person simply alleges to a magistrate, family law judge, or other judge (depending on state law) that they are in fear of their domestic partner. It's not an allegation of a crime, it's not a conviction for committing any crime. It's just a warning to stay away from the person who asked for the order. Until this decision, 18 US Code 922(g)(8) said those people also couldn't possess firearms, and if they already owned any then law enforcement would require their surrender. It was a deprivation of their civil rights, even though there had been no proof or adjudication that they had done anything wrong. Well, unless the US Supreme Court reverses the decision (it's possible, but I wouldn't hold breath waiting), 922(g)(8) is now defunct.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I assume you meant "convicted" and "domestic," but that is the law and has been the law for a long time. Almost 30 years. Look up: Lautenburg amendment.

Of course, a lot of people out there who've been convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors possess a firearm anyway, just as many convicted felons do, even though the law prohibits it. That's because gun control laws only restrict the behavior of people who obey the law. Just like how drunks and drug addicts keep on driving DUI even after their license is revoked. The law only works on people who obey it. And people who obey the law, generally, don't do violence anyway, without justifiable circumstances. Ironic, isn't it?

Anyway, the decision being discussed in this thread is about "domestic violence restraining orders" which are issued when a person simply alleges to a magistrate, family law judge, or other judge (depending on state law) that they are in fear of their domestic partner. It's not an allegation of a crime, it's not a conviction for committing any crime. It's just a warning to stay away from the person who asked for the order. Until this decision, 18 US Code 922(g)(8) said those people also couldn't possess firearms, and if they already owned any then law enforcement would require their surrender. It was a deprivation of their civil rights, even though there had been no proof or adjudication that they had done anything wrong. Well, unless the US Supreme Court reverses the decision (it's possible, but I wouldn't hold breath waiting), 922(g)(8) is now defunct.
I am sorry but why is it always an argument of "bad people will do bad thing anyways?" Just because they will doesn't mean they should be enabled to through legal means. If someone shouldn't legally own a gun, then their guns should be taken away from them for violating the restrictions put on them. Someone convicted of domestic violence they should not own a gun, they are a threat to their victims and future victims. You can explain the law to me but honestly, I do not care.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am sorry but why is it always an argument of "bad people will do bad thing anyways?" Just because they will doesn't mean they should be enabled to through legal means. If someone shouldn't legally own a gun, then their guns should be taken away from them for violating the restrictions put on them. Someone convicted of domestic violence they should not own a gun, they are a threat to their victims and future victims. You can explain the law to me but honestly, I do not care.
You want to take guns away from people who can legally have them and make it easier for the police, who I believe somebody mentioned earlier tend to abuse their power, to take guns away from people, giving the police even more power.

In a nutshell, the left wants to give the police even more power to take away people's right to self defense over accusations of thought crimes (not actual crimes), but also complain that the police abuse their power and are domestic abusers themselves from a poll taken in 1991.

Riddle me this... why would any gun owner hand over their weapons to a bunch of white supremacist cops? Isn't police brutality bad enough right now? Imagine if we were all disarmed.

You guys need to work this out amongst yourselves and come back with something coherent.

Reactions: Dinomite

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You want to take guns away from people who can legally have them and make it easier for the police, who I believe somebody mentioned earlier tend to abuse their power, to take guns away from people, giving the police even more power.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I want the laws to be consistent, which means taking guns away from abusive police officers just the same. And since we know far too many judges play buddy-buddy with cops, making convicting them exponentially more difficult, a restraining order obtained against them on grounds of domestic violence should prove they aren't responsible enough to own firearms. Therefore limiting them to desk jobs or, preferably, removing them from the force altogether.

This is one area where Biden has been weak, given that he promised a police misconduct database and hasn't delivered.

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
...a restraining order obtained against them on grounds of domestic violence should prove they aren't responsible enough to own firearms.
Why? Because someone has accused them? That isn't proof of anything.
As members have stated many times in this thread, an accusation isn't a conviction, therefore the citizen's right to arms shall not be infringed. That includes people employed in law enforcement.
No one here is saying a convicted felon should have firearms, that's long been established in the US.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why? Because someone has accused them? That isn't proof of anything.
No, a restraining order requires more than a simple accusation to be granted, and the burden of proof to have one granted against a police officer is even greater. It has to be reviewed by a judge all the same.

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, a restraining order requires more than a simple accusation to be granted, and the burden of proof to have one granted against a police officer is even greater. It has to be reviewed by a judge all the same.
If someone makes an accusation when filing a petition for a protective order, the judge will issue a temporary restraining order until the date of the hearing. So yes, it does require a simple accusation.

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do the courts focus on this shit instead of not going after the ATF for their bullshit gun accessory confiscations or striking down Ronald Reagan's Fully automatic ban?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do the courts focus on this shit instead of not going after the ATF for their bullshit gun accessory confiscations or striking down Ronald Reagan's Fully automatic ban?
courts aren't allowed to review any law they want. They can only review cases brought to them naturally - and if they feel the law in question in the case is unconstitutional they can effectively nullify it

So you're gonna have to wait for such a case to organically happen

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
courts aren't allowed to review any law they want. They can only review cases brought to them naturally - and if they feel the law in question in the case is unconstitutional they can effectively nullify it

So you're gonna have to wait for such a case to organically happen
Ok bad examples, but an instance I can think of is that NY and CA conceal carry challenge from this summer. They could’ve easily said constitutional carry is the law of the land and it would’ve been constitutionally coherent (and probably favored by the population writ large), but instead they just sort of skirted around the issue. Dunno why they don’t have the balls to protect our rights as much as they possibly can.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If someone makes an accusation when filing a petition for a protective order, the judge will issue a temporary restraining order until the date of the hearing. So yes, it does require a simple accusation.
Well I'm not suggesting guns be taken away before the hearing, so any temporary orders are moot. Hell, I'm not even suggesting normal citizens should have their guns taken away before a criminal domestic violence conviction, only that we hold those who are supposed to protect and serve the citizenry to a slightly higher standard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: