FBI Wants Built-In Backdoors To Skype, Facebook, Etc.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe there not really asking for a backdoor. After all the companies wouldn't have to reval any trade secrets in open court ie. we cant tell you how the government did just that they did it . ( in reality they will just hand over the info )

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TOR is stupidly easy to spy on. Any of us could do it if we were willing to run a large enough exit node. It's unencrypted at the end points, for obvious reasons. Maybe everyone's thinking I2P or strictly sites on the onion top-level domain? Freenet and I2P are seemingly pretty secure but have some issues I'd rather not discuss here. If you've used them, you know.

Why would I care if the FBI is checking my facebook messages?
It would only be a worry if you are talking about underage sex or illegal stuff.
You obviously didn't pay attention in class when they discussed the war on drugs and this thing called interdiction - oh wait, they don't do that until college inside a classroom. ;) Essentially, in the 'War on Drugs', they've come up with all sorts of rather questionable actions that are justified with exactly such statements as 'they're probably guilty of something else' or 'drug dealers are evil', nevermind that nothing was proven or even heavily disproven. Property has no rights according to courts of the land.

LOL, who needs a warrant unless they want to convict? Nixon and his trial ring any bells? And you act like it's hard to get one, anyways. You don't actually need a warrant if there's probable cause, also.
By that logic, they're probably already tapping your phone. So why do you care if they read your facebook posts?
I don't mean for prosecution. Think politically, not criminally. Say, if you were trying to rig an election and needed blackmail stuff. But of course in that case, backdoors are pointless since you can just use 'other' means.

In civil society, there's this idea that the concept called a fishing expedition is immoral and should be illegal. It works like this. I record everything you could possibly have done but can't analyze or use all the information. I just store it somewhere for several years. I later have a reason to coerce you into (possibly not) doing something and can now concentrate on all the information I recorded to find habits and stuff that is legal but can be made to look bad. You don't have to be prosecuted for me to ruin your life. Even the most innocent of things can be made to look plain awful.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always wondered how do they wire in to your phone calls when there are so many people? Wouldn't it take forever to check everyones phone calls?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
You've got a phone number that identifies your account, your address etc. FBI goes to the phone company and says "Hey, we want to listen to the phone calls coming from or to this number. Here's our warrant" and the phone company has to agree.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You've got a phone number that identifies your account, your address etc. FBI goes to the phone company and says "Hey, we want to listen to the phone calls coming from or to this number. Here's our warrant" and the phone company has to agree.

Since you usually need a phone number and definitely address details to pretty much do any E-commerce or social networking anyway, why do they need the backdoor anyway, it's unnecessary.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its like the 1st Amendment, DOESNT EVEN EXSIST.

But seriously, this doesn't really matter since the FBI (and most of the government) already have access to these things, unless the FBI feels like posting penis-pics on everyones facebook wall I don't understand why they would need this.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys, there's a stupidly easy way to combat this.

Every start tweeting / FB status-ing / emailing random stuff about "bomb", "meet me at", "president", "election", "assassinate", "money" etc.

They'll have so many matches they'll just give up.

Reactions: 2 people

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
The major assumption here is the fact that they probably have the facilities to enter the back door wether the back door exists or not . they just want the approval to do what they do already .

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First, I have nothing to hide, so I don't care.

Second, I don't live in the U.S, so they can't actually touch me directly.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Luckily, I do not do inappropriate things on Facebook. Still, this is unnecessary invasion of privacy and I'm would like to think that legitimate terrorists wouldn't communicate over Facebook.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't really care, using social networks for private matters is stupid anyway.
It's not just about "social networks", stuff like skype and IMs would count, too. Pretty much any form of digitial communication with enough users would fall under this. Pick any sort of method you'd communicate with family/relatives over the internet, and it's bound to count.

And I'd be glad to tell you but that's going off topic.
u just love makin meh jelous

Just wonderin,
How secure are underground sites such as those accessible by only TOR users?
If we can google it, the FBI can google it.

Now I have seen some services/sites that have an agreement that states you cannot now or formerly be any member of law enforcement to access the site, but like many attempts whether that works or not is dubious.

The major assumption here is the fact that they probably have the facilities to enter the back door wether the back door exists or not . they just want the approval to do what they do already.
I think that's a little paranoid. The FBI doesn't magically have a bunch of power nobody else knows about. This isn't MIB here.

Exporting criminals?

EDIT: Typo. nor -> now

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First, I have nothing to hide, so I don't care.

Are you genuinely saying nothing to hide nothing to fear... I thought we got that one out of our system around the ID cards and data retention stuff a couple of years back.

As for can't touch me directly- I am pretty sure many of these services route through and indeed out of the US which via peculiarities with the laws (see videos, defcon one especially, in my previous post) there is scope for something.

Also have a word with your fellow countrymen- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/01/bodog_shut_via_verisign/

Guys, there's a stupidly easy way to combat this.

Every start tweeting / FB status-ing / emailing random stuff about "bomb", "meet me at", "president", "election", "assassinate", "money" etc.

They'll have so many matches they'll just give up.

If sigint agencies are still doing very basic keyword matching as their sole indicator.... yeah.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I can read from this is that it will encourage more encryption into various communication protocals and even the development of 3rd party programs that use these communication methods like Skype or IM, that wouldn't have these backdoors in them. It would increase secure communcation. That would in turn increase the development of powerful computers and decryption programs by the FBI and others to try and get around this, which in turn just makes this statement loop over and over and over and over again. The backdoors would then have to be made to be put in by the compilers, like GCC or Microsoft Visual Studios, so that they could be able to monitor the communication from the source even. Or the backdoors would have to be put into every OS, which nobody, not even the OS developers, would allow.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
All I can read from this is that it will encourage more encryption into various communication protocals and even the development of 3rd party programs that use these communication methods like Skype or IM, that wouldn't have these backdoors in them. It would increase secure communcation. That would in turn increase the development of powerful computers and decryption programs by the FBI and others to try and get around this, which in turn just makes this statement loop over and over and over and over again. The backdoors would then have to be made to be put in by the compilers, like GCC or Microsoft Visual Studios, so that they could be able to monitor the communication from the source even. Or the backdoors would have to be put into every OS, which nobody, not even the OS developers, would allow.
Uh, it's the FBI wanting backdoors for them installed into skype and such.

As in, they want to pass this amendment to the law, and the amendment would make skype and such legally be required to set up backdoors for the FBI.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission