FBI Wants Built-In Backdoors To Skype, Facebook, Etc.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
senior FBI officials argue the dramatic shift in communication from the telephone system to the Internet has made it far more difficult for agents to wiretap Americans
[...]
The FBI general counsel's office has drafted a proposed law that the bureau claims is the best solution: requiring that social-networking Web sites and providers of VoIP, instant messaging, and Web e-mail alter their code to ensure their products are wiretap-friendly.
[...]
The FBI's proposal would amend a 1994 law, called the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, or CALEA, that currently applies only to telecommunications providers, not Web companies.
Now at first I thought this would have no chance of passing since the web companies and such will have to be the ones that pay for the extra development (and we all know how "lazy" some companies are), but it seems the FBI's aware of that and is trying to appease them.

FBI Director Robert Mueller is not asking companies to support the bureau's CALEA expansion, but instead is "asking what can go in it to minimize impacts," one participant in the discussions says. That included a scheduled trip this month to the West Coast -- which was subsequently postponed -- to meet with Internet companies' CEOs and top lawyers.
icon11.gif
Source

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Shouldn't a point be to try to stop them from prying into things, instead of just avoiding what they're prying into? I mean they're going to get into something you can't avouid using one of these days.

Anyways this would only apply to people like normal wiretap stuff, people suspected of a crime and all that jazz, the problem is building backdoors into programs. I mean look at how people exploited the rootkit form the Sony/BMG issue.

Reactions: 4 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's going to get to the point where using the Internet is a reason to label someone as a suspected terrorist.

Paranoia is a pretty serious thing, you should have it checked out.

Even then IDGAF if the FBI sees my hilarious conversations and my unimportant Facebook messages. Go ahead, I ain't go nothing to hide from you guys.

Reactions: 2 people

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
It's going to get to the point where using the Internet is a reason to label someone as a suspected terrorist.

Even then IDGAF if the FBI sees my hilarious conversations and my unimportant Facebook messages. Go ahead, I ain't go nothing to hide from you guys.
Seeing as having more than a week's worth of food is reason to label someone as a suspected terrorist, it really isn't that far fetched.

Edit: I forgot. You pay for coffee with cash? You're a goddamn terrorist.

Reactions: 4 people

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it had nothing to do with enforcing laws or stopping crime. Isn't it about the guy selling the (patented) spy-hard-ware that sits in the middle? Hint: It's almost always about the money.

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Seeing as having more than a week's worth of food is reason to label someone as a suspected terrorist, it really isn't that far fetched.

Edit: I forgot. You pay for coffee with cash? You're a goddamn terrorist.

Really? Guess us Mormons are all screwed since, you know, we try to have at LEAST 3 months worth of food for emergencies.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Oh, by all means, please do!
I'd love to take advantage of a pre-existing backdoor built into the program rather than having to find a flaw in skype and exploit it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The one thing I have to say is, where are they going to get the money for this?
The individual companies themselves would need to do it. Companies with lots of connections and such (facebook, etc.) shouldn't find it too hard if forced, but some smaller companies may have to hold off on normal development for a while to get this done, or might just back out entirely due to moral concerns.

Doesn't really matter if you have nothing to hide.
So when's the last time you had sex? Why don't you tell us all about it?
I mean you don't have anything to hide, right? :P

That said, this would just be an extension to current wiretapping measures from what I'm reading, meaning they'd need to go through the same stuff as getting the ability to wiretap your phone through your service provider.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't use social networking, VOIP, or instant messaging. And email, web or otherwise, is inherently insecure. Guess I don't have much to personally fear from this :shit:.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.