Fan of Facebook? Advertising nightmare coming in summer.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Pretty sure this is going to drastically increase the amount of people using AdBlock (I can already imagine people sharing status updates about how new Facebook ads are too annoying and telling everyone to start using AdBlock)

Which means all ads will be blocked by default on a lot more computers all over the world.
This implies small websites like us will suffer, what with the income dropping and all.
If GBAtemp was actually a company, it would be terrible (thankfully, it isn't :P )

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pretty sure this is going to drastically increase the amount of people using AdBlock (I can already imagine people sharing status updates about how new Facebook ads are too annoying and telling everyone to start using AdBlock)

Which means all ads will be blocked by default on a lot more computers all over the world.
This implies small websites like us will suffer, what with the income dropping and all.
If GBAtemp was actually a company, it would be terrible (thankfully, it isn't :P )

I'm also sure those guys behind FB are pretty efficient ( besides questionable choices the team made over the years ) and will figure out a way around it.
I'm sure they are aware of adblock and such, maybe they really will make it so that if you block the ads you won't be able to see your regular pictures or posts.

Besides not everyone hates ads ( I know it sounds silly ) , but a couple of years ago I installed firefox adblock plus on my brother's girlfriend computer, and she was like whatever.
Then she had to open up a page with IE and her homepage came up with all the ads and she said it looked nicer !!
Go figure it out......some people just don't care.
The rest of us ....we'll just keep being smart....;)

Besides, it just occurred to me that up until a year or two ago, I was constantly adding elements to hide on most new pages, but it seems adblock ( i subscribed to one easylist of filters ) is gotten a lot smarter and really does most of the work for me, I can't remember when it was the last time I right clicked on an ad to hide it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind ads that are unobtrusive. I disable adblock on gbatemp, filetrip, and other sites that don't use annoyance tactics (invisible single-click self-destructing overlays can bite me), and many adblock plugins added an opt-out whitelist for non-obtrusive advertising like Google's ads and junk.

Reactions: chartube12

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Still a no go on donations? *nudge nudge*

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ad blocking is going to become semi-useless in a few years anyways. It is how facebook makes money. There are more than enough mainstream websites with ads people use on a daily basis for adblock to eventually be legally killed in a few years.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ad blocking is going to become semi-useless in a few years anyways. It is how facebook makes money. There are more than enough mainstream websites with ads people use on a daily basis for adblock to eventually be legally killed in a few years.

People have been killing and working around ads for decades now and the plenty of cases on the matter as it pertains to TV (the response has invariably been- TV company shit happens). Similarly there is unlikely to be a true technological measure to work around it and even if it somehow became "illegal" then it would just be like it is now with video codecs in places backwards enough to have software patents, failing that the "what is your hacking tool is my security tool" concept comes back into play (if you are on firefox click on tools -> options -> content and next to the "load images automatically" option there is an exceptions which could double as a crude adblock).

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Auto playing adverts have the opposite affect on people, they learn to hate the product because it gets in the damn way!

Well you'd think so but clearly this in unfortunately not the case... if these adverts didn't *work* then there'd be nobody paying to put them there and therefore they would cease to exist. But they're still here... which goes to show that they do work. Unfortunately.

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
Well you'd think so but clearly this in unfortunately not the case... if these adverts didn't *work* then there'd be nobody paying to put them there and therefore they would cease to exist. But they're still here... which goes to show that they do work. Unfortunately.
They certainly don't work for me :)

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm facebook is look like is not really private no more.. I never use such saito. I only use the chisana aoi no tori saito :-) little blue bird...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2