Fake Wiimote or updated/Japanese model?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Chemodile, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Chemodile
    OP

Chemodile Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I recently bought an extra Wii remote on eBay and I'm almost certain it's a cheap Chinese fake. However, the differences are subtle and I'm wondering if it's possible that this is just a newer model, as he advertised it as a Japanese import. Detailed writeup and comparison pictures here.

It works but my main concern is that it doesn't work with my rechargeable battery packs. Then I thought that since they're third party hardware there could be other reasons they're not working with this model, which has me second-guessing my initial judgment. The build still looks cheap in some areas so I'm leaning towards fake, but I'd like some outside input. Is it a fake or just a newer/Japanese model with different plastics that doesn't work with my battery packs for some reason?

2. ddp127

ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    probably fake, but there are a few things i like about them [​IMG]

just buy recharchable battery's, they are much cheaper [​IMG]

(dont know if i may say this) dealextreme sells very cheap wii-motes and nunchucks (compared to europe, dont know what the american price is)

3. Chemodile
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Cheaper than the rechargeable battery packs I already have? [​IMG]

The prices on Dealextreme are about what I'd pay in-store, but they do have user-submitted photos of the Japanese controllers that help me quite a bit, so thank you for that. I now know for certain that some of the things I noticed on my fakes are definitely not just a trait of the Japanese models. Guess I'll try getting my money back before reporting the guy I bought it from to eBay... If only I'd paid the extra $20, I wouldn't have to deal with this garbage. [​IMG]

Let this be a lesson to anyone trying to save money on Wii controllers.

4. david432111

david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2008
    Denmark
    If you payed via paypal you should be able to file a claim and get your money back.

5. Chemodile
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the advice. I filed a claim with paypal this morning and they issued a full refund not even 6 hours later. Very happy with these results.

Now do I:
    a) Take them apart for SCIENCE (and post pictures of the pcb/inerts)
    b) Keep them around as a backup controller
    c) Try to sell them honestly to someone who doesn't mind having a very accurate knockoff for a cheap price

I'm leaning toward C but I'm not sure where I'd be able to offload them that allows knockoffs on their site.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice