Facebook: Disappearing by 2020?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jun 7, 2012.

Jun 7, 2012

Facebook: Disappearing by 2020? by Gahars at 1:13 AM (3,294 Views / 0 Likes) 35 replies

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    So, I'm sure everyone here has heard about the Facebook IPO (more like I.P.U., am I right?) kerfuffle; you'd have to live under a rock on the far side of the moon to have missed the news.

A lot of people have been speculating what it bodes for the future of Facebook and other social networks. According to Eric Jackson, the road ahead isn't looking too hot.

[​IMG] Mashable

I hope there are enough hundred dollar bills in Mark Zuckerberg's vast fortune to wipe all the tears.

Seriously, though, it isn't all bad. I mean, no matter what, we'll always have MySpace, right? Right? You guys?

So, what do you think? Does this guy have a friend request with irrelevancy, or is the company going to have to face(book) the music?

2. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    My company printed the IPO for Facebook it was a fucking disaster. I wish Facebook would just disappear.

3. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Nothing lasts forever. If it lasts until 2012, that would be amazing.

I would expect something knew to out-do it before then.

4. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    I second your motion..

I've had nothing but trouble with facebook and the level of idiocy it hosts is downright pathetic.

My so called "friends" threatened me that must add them.
    On every posted letter I got a ton of criticism from everyone and I'd been forced to join those stupid retarded games.

It also took a century before I finally got rid of my account cause fb wouldn't delete it straight away ;/

I personally hope that FB becomes the new myspace or that people would finally realize that it's seriously invading someone's privacy.
    Burglars are known to pick houses based on people that posted that they where away on vacation.

3 people like this.
  5. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    Horray for google+
    :hrth: :toot: :grog: :teach:

1 person likes this.
  6. Gahars
    OP

United States
    To pitch in my two cents: I honestly have no real problems with Facebook. It's a fine way to communicate and coordinate with my friends, and it makes keeping up with the movies, games, bands, etc. I like a bit easier. I just don't use it for anything else beyond that. I never got into the social gaming scene, and I haven't bothered to update my photos, statuses, profile, etc. for quite a while. Facebook is just kind of there for me.

If it goes? I can't say that I'll be too heartbroken.

11 people like this.
  7. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I've predicted this, as well as the fall of Social Media. In the not-so-far future, I believe that we'll have already evolved past Social Media and gone into some medium that allows us to almost literally be connected to the rest of the world. I'd say something similar to Eden of the East.

1 person likes this.
  8. adrian2040

Member adrian2040 GBAtemp Fan

Peru
    People want to communicate with as many other people as possible. Thus, most people will prefer to use the single most popular social app/website, leaving the others behind as they won't be as effective and can be seen as a waste of time regardless of how good they are. So I see things happening on two different ways: Either most people will remain on Facebook or, at some point, there will be a mass movement of users into a single new or revitalized social network.

There is another scenario I can see happening. People would be more eager to use different social networks if they were compatible with each others, like phones. Thus, they would be able to use their social network of choice and still be able to talk with friends who uses other social networks. However, I doubt that companies (Currently Facebook) will give up their monopolies so easily.

9. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    Hey isn't gbatemp just a big fat web site also?

10. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I assume you mean a "Social Media Website", and as similar to one it has become after that one update (that made it like...all of this), I still don't think forums count.

11. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Meh. Facebook is just where I go to creep on my female friends fap to my female friend's pictures see what my friends are up to. That's about it really...I won't be all that sad when it goes, I'll just move on to the next thing.

5 people like this.
  12. Gahars
    OP

United States
    No, we're a big boned web site. There's a difference, I swear.

17 people like this.
  13. pubert09

Member pubert09 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I must live under a rock....I had no idea about this. :(
    I don't use Facebook anyway, so it would make no difference to me...well it would be good for me actually, because I would stop hearing people talk about it STILL.

14. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    die facebook die

1 person likes this.
  15. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I hope so
    Oh god I hope so
    And I know it's a longshot, but maybe they can take with them the ever rising popularity of the internet in general? I want the casual to leave.

1 person likes this.
  16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Maybe if their mobile app didn't suck...

I agree with him here. We already see so many "old" companies that have no clue how to market things to the current generation.

1 person likes this.
  17. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I highly doubt that Facebook will just "disappear" by 2020.

I believe people will still continue to use it.
    And IF it were to disappears, the reason would be "something better came and took its place".
    By that, I mean people will probably always use social networks. Again, that's until something better takes their place.

5 people like this.
  18. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I just really wish social networking would become incredibly uncool so I can stop seeing all this fucking facebook integration on every site.
    It drives me nuts that you can basically use a facebook account as an all-access pass to the entire internet.

I'm also tired of hearing about Facebook all the time.

Facebook dying is inevitable. It's going to die. Myspace was booming one minute, and dead the next. I'm sure facebook will do the same. Unfortunately, it'll just be replaced by some even more obnoxious site that lets morons post even more revealing details about themselves so they can get in even more compromising situations.

7 people like this.
  19. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Zuckerberg said himself, mobile apps is what will kill facebook. On phones, not only does their app suck, but you get no ads, thus them not receiving any money.

The only reason I go to Facebook anymore is to keep up to date with posts that I can't see on Twitter. Otherwise, I use twitter for everything.

20. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    I was actually thinking about this the other day... While Facebook is heavily integrated in other sites (you can login to anything by using your facebook account), it's still a social media site. We all saw what happened to Myspace. It died after being so popular. I can only assume Facebook will face its death eventually.