EZ-Flash Definitive Ed. - M&L and Other EEPROM 64K Games Not Saving

Shift

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my EZODE and tested some games out. Many work and save great, but one that didn't was M&L: SS. I played in Clean Boot mode, but when I got to the save book, it said "Save failed. Save data may be corrupted." I tried changing the save type from Auto to every available option, but none worked. Boot with Addon mode let me make a save state, but that's not how I like to play and would rather save normally.

I looked up what gaves have what save types and M&L apparently uses EEPROM 64K saves. The save types the EZODE offers are:

AUTO
SRAM
EEPROM8K
EEPROM512
FLASH64
FLASH128

I tested two other games with 64K saves: Gunstar Super Heroes and Mega Man Zero 4. Both also wouldn't save the actual game files, but they did save certain things. Gunstar saved what character and difficulty mode I last chose, and MMZ4 recorded the first boss in the Database on the main menu.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my EZODE and tested some games out. Many work and save great, but one that didn't was M&L: SS. I played in Clean Boot mode, but when I got to the save book, it said "Save failed. Save data may be corrupted." I tried changing the save type from Auto to every available option, but none worked. Boot with Addon mode let me make a save state, but that's not how I like to play and would rather save normally.

I looked up what gaves have what save types and M&L apparently uses EEPROM 64K saves. The save types the EZODE offers are:

AUTO
SRAM
EEPROM8K
EEPROM512
FLASH64
FLASH128

I tested two other games with 64K saves: Gunstar Super Heroes and Mega Man Zero 4. Both also wouldn't save the actual game files, but they did save certain things. Gunstar saved what character and difficulty mode I last chose, and MMZ4 recorded the first boss in the Database on the main menu.
Seems u have a bad rom here is mine from an old fw
f8754b1625e9a0438d1505d28d4c6b27.jpg

Shift

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems u have a bad rom here is mine from an old fw
Thanks, it's good to know something works, but all three of the games I tried? They're from the no-intro set, too. I also just ripped my own copy of M&L and it's the same deal.

Last edited by Shift,

Shift

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also saves
I also have my own copy of Gunstar that I just ripped and tested. This time the save showed up, but when I tried to save anything new, the entire save file erased. If I delete the save and re-add the ripped version, it shows up again but disappears when I save in the DE.

I went and downloaded 3 different versions of M&L to check, including a Rumble patched version and a PAL copy, and none of them saved. Other games like the Pokemon titles, Kirby NiD and Golden Sun work, but I haven't checked everything.

I have the newest fw kernal, so I don't know if that's the problem. I can't find any older versions on the website, and I don't even know if it can be reverted.

Last edited by Shift,

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
If you have ever manually adjusted the save type, then you need to delete all files inside the saver directory about this rom name, including a sav file, an mde file, because different save types create different size sav file, which will also cause the save to fail.

for the clean rom, the auto mode will work well. no need to change it.

Shift

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have ever manually adjusted the save type, then you need to delete all files inside the saver directory about this rom name, including a sav file, an mde file, because different save types create different size sav file, which will also cause the save to fail.

for the clean rom, the auto mode will work well. no need to change it.
I only changed the save type after the auto save mode failed. It's the same with every other game I used: after auto failed, I tried every other save type. I just deleted everything and tried again, and it‘s still the same.

EDIT: In case anyone asks, I tried more than one SD card, Toshiba and Samsung, and also used the Mode B switch. No change.

Last edited by Shift,

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Let's start over again.

First. You must ensure you upgrade to the latest firmware and kernel. the kernel is 1.03, firmware is 4.

then format the SD card as FAT32 , 32KB file allocation unit size.

copy the rom to the root folder of the SD card. rename the rom name to the shorter one. like aaa.gba, bbb.gba. This is to circumvent bugs that may be caused by some file names or folders.

enable the auto save in the kernel setting.

direct boot the rom, without change the save type.

in-game save with progress.

reboot console.

wait the kernel backup the save file.

shutdown the console. take out the SD card. copy the sav file in the saver folder. upload to somewhere I can get it.

plug back SD card, power up the console, restart game, check the save status.

Shift

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's start over again.

First. You must ensure you upgrade to the latest firmware and kernel. the kernel is 1.03, firmware is 4.
Check.
then format the SD card as FAT32 , 32KB file allocation unit size.
Reformatted using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Check.
copy the rom to the root folder of the SD card. rename the rom name to the shorter one. like aaa.gba, bbb.gba. This is to circumvent bugs that may be caused by some file names or folders.
Renamed to MLSS.gba. Check.
enable the auto save in the kernel setting.
Check.
direct boot the rom, without change the save type.
Check.
in-game save with progress.
Gave message, "Save failed. Save data may be corrupted. Please try again. This save data cannot be used."
reboot console.

wait the kernel backup the save file.

shutdown the console. take out the SD card. copy the sav file in the saver folder. upload to somewhere I can get it.

plug back SD card, power up the console, restart game, check the save status.
Did all that, no change. Save and RTS: https://easyupload.io/spah8h

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Check.

Reformatted using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Check.

Renamed to MLSS.gba. Check.

Check.

Check.

Gave message, "Save failed. Save data may be corrupted. Please try again. This save data cannot be used."

Did all that, no change. Save and RTS: https://easyupload.io/spah8h
Why using third party format tool? Are you using Windows?
Why have a RTS file? I remember that I said direct boot.....

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Then I did the step again

I'm using the US release rom, MD5(MLSS.gba)= 4b1a5897d89d9e74ec7f630eefdfd435

I random picked an EZ-FLASH OMEGA Definitive Edition from the stock.

run the game with direct boot. it saves well.

restart the console, the kernel actual backup the save file. start the game again. the save is existed.

the save file actual contain data. not filled with FF.

Attachments

• msll.png
    msll.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 75
  • hex.png
    hex.png
    328.5 KB · Views: 83

Shift

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I did the step again

I'm using the US release rom, MD5(MLSS.gba)= 4b1a5897d89d9e74ec7f630eefdfd435

I random picked an EZ-FLASH OMEGA Definitive Edition from the stock.

run the game with direct boot. it saves well.

restart the console, the kernel actual backup the save file. start the game again. the save is existed.

the save file actual contain data. not filled with FF.
Okay, I went through the steps again with just Windows formatting to FAT32, 32KB, using Direct Boot in NOR. When I reach the save book, it gives the same error message.

My copy has the same hashes:
ROM MD5 4B1A5897D89D9E74EC7F630EEFDFD435
ROM SHA-1 7C303CDDE5061EE329296948060B875CB50BA410

Attachments

• MLSS_Error.jpg
    MLSS_Error.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 82

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Okay, I went through the steps again with just Windows formatting to FAT32, 32KB, using Direct Boot in NOR. When I reach the save book, it gives the same error message.

My copy has the same hashes:
ROM MD5 4B1A5897D89D9E74EC7F630EEFDFD435
ROM SHA-1 7C303CDDE5061EE329296948060B875CB50BA410
Let's ask the question in a different way. Are the other games saved properly, except for the ones you mentioned?

other save type's game like sram flash eeprom

Shift

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's ask the question in a different way. Are the other games saved properly, except for the ones you mentioned?

other save type's game like sram flash eeprom
Yes, many other games save correctly such as the Pokemon games, Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, Golden Sun and Mother 3. Are there any games in particular of different save types I should test?

EDIT: Here's an example: Donkey Kong Country uses a 4k EEPROM, and it records the save perfectly. Donkey Kong Country 2 uses 64k, and it does not keep the save.

Last edited by Shift,

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
So that's why I can't understand, All the save data are saved to FRAM after firmware's software simulation, if there is a firmware error or FRAM error, then all the games should fail to save, instead of having only one type of save failure alone. In the past failure cases which a few games failed to save, mostly due to the use of non-clean rom, or the manual use of the wrong save type.

In your case, according to your description, I cannot conclude a result.

Or you can contact the dealer for replacement.

Kirtide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm having a similar issue too, games like Pokemon Emerald and Sonic Adventure 2 save just fine, if I try saving in say M&L or DKC it'll fail, sometimes it might succeed if I try saving a second time. However if I try power cycling the GBA where it then backs up the save and then try opening the game again, the save data is gone.

I've considered opening it up and reflowing the save (S98?) chip and seeing if that might work but at this point I'd rather get a replacement or wait for a firmware update assuming its software related.

edit: i've also tried this on my gameboy player and nds and they both yield the same results

Last edited by Kirtide,

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm having a similar issue too, games like Pokemon Emerald and Sonic Adventure 2 save just fine, if I try saving in say M&L or DKC it'll fail, sometimes it might succeed if I try saving a second time. However if I try power cycling the GBA where it then backs up the save and then try opening the game again, the save data is gone.

I've considered opening it up and reflowing the save (S98?) chip and seeing if that might work but at this point I'd rather get a replacement or wait for a firmware update assuming its software related.

edit: i've also tried this on my gameboy player and nds and they both yield the same results
Go official site and download the newest kernel and firmware to fix it. DOWNLOAD

• Love
Reactions: Kirtide

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Switching my home routing/firewall solution from pfsense to OPNsense. Boy how I hate networking...