Ez flash 3 in 1 life

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by bxnice33, Jan 3, 2008.

Jan 3, 2008

Ez flash 3 in 1 life by bxnice33 at 5:25 AM (2,322 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. bxnice33
    OP

Newcomer bxnice33 Member

United States
    I heard that the ez flash 3 in 1 will not work after a period of time because it has a battery like the gba carts do, is that true?

2. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    Yep. It's true. The battery is used to keep saves. When it's used up, you lose the ability to save on the 3 in 1.
    It lasts around 2-4 years though.

~Nero

3. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    So if the battery runs out, are all the saves lost?

Is there a way where you can put the saves on the slot 1 microSD card? That way the saves wouldn't get lost when the battery runs out?

4. Nero

United States
    When you save in the EZ Flash 3 in 1... It saves in the SRAM. Go to your Slot-1 and boot up Rudolph's Tools. You can press B to backup your saves in a folder named 'Saves' in your "GBA" directory.

~Nero

5. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    Ok sweet thanks!

Also, is there a way to replace the battery on the ez flash 3 in 1 on your own once the battery dies?

I just ordered one and just want to make sure I know everything about it.

6. Nero

United States
    Besides getting a new one, and ripping the battery out of that, taking out the dead battery in your old 3 in 1, and placing the brand new battery in there? No.

EDIT: No problem! Anytime. [​IMG]

~Nero

7. betawind

Member betawind GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've always been under the impression that the battery recharged over time (hence why if you had saving problems when you first got it you just left the DS on for a while in GBA mode) is this incorrect?

8. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I always thought the same thing, so you're probably right.

But maybe the battery will be really bad after a long time...

9. ZPE

Member ZPE GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    The Pokemon GBC games had this problem, the saving would just not work. Only way to fix it was to replace the battery inside.

10. Nero

United States
    I believe that is false. The 3 in 1's battery doesn't "recharge"

Once it's dead, it's dead.

~Nero

11. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Just to clarify, the 3-in-1 can only hold one game with one savefile at a time. Other games are all kept on the slot 1 microSD, along with their savefiles. So only the save for the game you played last is held on the 3-in-1 itself.

To replace the battery the hardest part would be finding one; I don't know if the situation's any different now but rechargeable cell batteries used to be a bitch to find, especially seeing as the ones that come pre-installed in these carts all come from Japan to begin with. If you could find one with the contacts already glued on I don't see it being a problem to install it (it would require soldering knowledge, mind). Or there might be a non-rechargeable equivalent you can use, if you don't mind it running out frequently. It's too early for anyone to have investigated it yet, information will probably only come out when someone has the problem.

About the 3-in-1 battery, Nero do you have a source for that 2-4 years figure? [​IMG]

12. foob

Member foob GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    as long as the ez-flash V 3-in-1 cart is easy to take apart, i can't imagine the battery being too hard to replace if you go to your local electronics store and source it there. Or is it?

Either that or buy the EZ Flash IV 3-in-1, which has no battery back-up [​IMG]

Longevity is something that concerns me too, so I like the line of questioning taken in this thread [​IMG]

13. Nero

United States
    I don't have a source, but I heard it from countless amounts of people/Tempers, so I'm going with that.

~Nero

14. 2dere

Member 2dere GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Wow. I always figured that the battery would recharge with use like in computers and the pokemon games (Because I always thought the battery died due to lack of use.) Though, to be honest. I wasn't aware (or ignorant enough to ignore) the battery.
    Though in 3 years time, as long as there are DS I'm sure someone will be making slot 2 devices and there's bound to be something superior by then anyway.

15. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    Come on guys, the bloody thing costs 18$ (that's 9 pounds for ye Brits!). If it will keep working for at least a year and you complain, you are a bunch of cheapskates. [​IMG]

16. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Which is much easier than you make it sound. And it is rechargeable anyway.