Gaming English of the Dead

concealed identi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anybody played this yet, or have any links to reviews, detailed info, etc.? I'm really interested in getting it, but I have no idea how much depth there is, how many play modes there are, or what levels of English / Japanese it focuses on (or offers).

Obviously I'm waiting for the game to be dumped so I can try it out first, but I'm curious if anybody's played it yet. I don't really have the funds to buy it without trying it, but who knows, you might convince me. Hopefully it'll get dumped sooner or later so I can make up my mind. Wow, I'm an impatient bastard. It does look pretty damn cool, though.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waiting for it myself. Japanese have had it in stores for a week now, just need a kind dumper to give it us.

I know someone who has played it and he says its pretty good, the main mode is similar to the Typing of the Dead. A word comes up in Japanese and you have to write it down on the touch screen but the word is actually spoken in English so it acts like more of a spelling test for those who don't know Japanese. He also said that the word recognition is very good though there are a few problems with some capitol letters.

There is an online demo, its not of the main game but only a tutorial:
http://eod.sega.jp/taiken/

Also this trailer is pretty lenghty and goes through all the modes, though I can't understand a word of it.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Typing of the Dead 2 PC is pretty good too, SEGA needs to localise it, though the Japanese version does use Western words.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was admittedly wondering what had happened to the dump for this game. Aside from Summon Night, this one was one I was looking forward to quite a bit. Looks like campy fun, and who knows, maybe I'll actually pick up a thing or two. I am kind of surprised that no one has yet come out with a Japanese-learning game for English-speaking markets. It seems like all things Japanese are pop culture these days, so I'm sure there's money to be made from it. Ubisoft has tinkered with just about every other language, with respect to edutainment games on the DS. Of course, I wouldn't want them to be doing this game, but they could surely publish it outside of Japan, since the game is already complete.

concealed identi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aw man, so there's no mode where you have to write Japanese (maybe there is, but I can't watch the trailer right now)? That's too bad, I guess I'll have to wait for the dump and try it myself to see if it's worth it.

kaspal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
a japanese typing mode would be a no-no for most of westerners... i myself, while i know japanese and all, dont like to play (much) games where i have to draw kanjis... i have enough kanji drawin in my japanese course back then... typing on a virtual keyb. with the stylus its a lil faster, imo.

concealed identi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kaspal said:
a japanese typing mode would be a no-no for most of westerners... i myself, while i know japanese and all, dont like to play (much) games where i have to draw kanjis... i have enough kanji drawin in my japanese course back then... typing on a virtual keyb. with the stylus its a lil faster, imo.

Right, but this game isn't made for westerners; it's a Japanese game. Therefore, I'd like it to go both ways (E-J and J-E). It would probably have you draw hiragana instead of kanji to make it more gameplay friendly, anyway.

kaspal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
concealed identity said:
kaspal said:

Right, but this game isn't made for westerners; it's a Japanese game. Therefore, I'd like it to go both ways (E-J and J-E). It would probably have you draw hiragana instead of kanji to make it more gameplay friendly, anyway.
true... but i think that a kana keyb its the way to go then... its faster (for me, at least) to locate a kana in a virtual keyb, than drawin them, since drawin recognition can get a lil bit tricky sometimes.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kaspal said:
concealed identity said:
kaspal said:

true... but i think that a kana keyb its the way to go then... its faster (for me, at least) to locate a kana in a virtual keyb, than drawin them, since drawin recognition can get a lil bit tricky sometimes.

this game is targeted to japanese people.... its much easier to write out a word in japanese than to use your stylus to locate a kana on a virtual keyboard (when the keyboard keys are so small).

Its analogous to using the virtual keyboard in Opera browser. I freakin hate using that small keyboard and often don't type the letters I intend to. It would be much easier for me to just write the letter out in big letters.

just my opinion (coming from a bilingual japanese/english speaker)..

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say the reason we don't see a game for English-speakers to learn Japanese is that Nintendo, whilst aware of the international market, still isn't fully recognizing that English speakers want to learn Japanese, as I'm sure they all know it themselves. However, I am surprised that a third-party developer hasn't brought one out.

concealed identi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Private|Parts said:
I'd say the reason we don't see a game for English-speakers to learn Japanese is that Nintendo, whilst aware of the international market, still isn't fully recognizing that English speakers want to learn Japanese, as I'm sure they all know it themselves.

I'm sure that's not it at all.

The lack of not being able to try this game out is killing me though. I just realized that lately I've been playing nothing but Dementium and Kanji Kentei...maybe my brain is trying to tell me something.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awww, i was hoping this would let me set the placement and spin whilst hitting zombies with golf clubs and/or pool cues.

OR

Wow, if we get a shitily translated game, it would be more like "Engrish of the Dead" AMIRITE?!

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Please be sure to tip your bartenders and waitresses.

kaspal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
@Unchi:
your pov its respectable, and may hold true... but i'd like to disgress... again, my kanji drawing its not the fastest in the world, and i know the game its targeted for japanese native ppl... but once again, i dont find the vkeyb. to be so small... i've used it in various games, and i think its pretty much usefull... and it has alwys been in half of the touch screen... but anyways... it wouldnt kill us to have both options in the game (kana drawing and vkeyb), right?

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
looking at the trailer you definitely have to write out the words on the touch screen w/ the stylus. hopefully for your sake there is a vkeyb, but i highly doubt it....

But actually I think it would be better practice for you (who is trying to learn japanese) to write out the words w/ a stylus rather than typing it on a vkeyb (using english letters).

concealed identi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kaspal said:
@Unchi:
your pov its respectable, and may hold true... but i'd like to disgress... again, my kanji drawing its not the fastest in the world, and i know the game its targeted for japanese native ppl... but once again, i dont find the vkeyb. to be so small... i've used it in various games, and i think its pretty much usefull... and it has alwys been in half of the touch screen... but anyways... it wouldnt kill us to have both options in the game (kana drawing and vkeyb), right?

I don't know any Japanese games where you use kanji as an input, unless it's a kanji training program. Considering that writing hiragana and katakana is quick and easy, and Japanese people use an English keyboard to input kana, writing it out is the obvious choice.

kaspal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
actually, im pretty profficent on writtin kanji already (i'v been studyin for like 3 years now... so its a no brainer now), and it seems you havent seen the japanese keybs... i have one, and while its true they can use a QWERTY keyb, there are some keybs that comes with the kana drawn instead of western letters, so, instead of typing, say "kanji" which takes 5 typings, some checkin (to choose the word you want out from various choices) and accepting, you just type the key for "ka" the key for "n" and 2 keys for "ji"... now, i know my example its ridiculous (yeah, savin a couple keystrokes... blah blah blah), but i guess you know what im tryin to say anyway.

aaaaaaanyway, whatever the input method the game has, whenever i have the chance to try it out i will... hope not to suck big time at it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs