English. English. English.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Our former prime minister has urged Singaporeans to adapt American English, as 'the number of American expats are significantly increasing in Singapore'.

English is a sophisticated language, divided by the American and the British. In Singapore due to historic reasons we adapted the British context. It doesn't seem as such anymore... So many British terms here are marked as 'incorrect' ("rubber" being the first) and due to the fact that most American words have fewer spellings (examples: color, favorite)... man, it just changed a lot.

Which do you prefer? American or British?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I take it you're in school?
Once you're out, nobody should really care how you spell it.

Hell, I'm British and I sometimes make mistakes spelling it the 'American' way and nobody cares.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
prowler_ said:
I take it you're in school?
Once you're out, nobody should really care how you spell it.

Hell, I'm British and I sometimes make mistakes spelling it the 'American' way and nobody cares.
I'm still in college so yeah.
happy.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Adapting American you say.... I am down with that.

Personally I am happy to have both still exist- vagaries in English are one of my favourite things to confuse people with and having two dialects (to say nothing of all the various tweaks within the UK) provides more opportunity to do things. I will take note of your post should I find myself back in Singapore looking for some rubbers although I guess I could care less.

Edit: Forgot the obligatory video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IfoUM6a4bA[/youtube]

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The Real Jdbye said:
If adapt means less Singlish then they should do it. I've been to Singapore and I have a hard time understanding a lot of the people there.
I know what you mean.

Want to avoid Singlish? Head to fancy hotels instead of kopitiams. But hell, they're expensive.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Uh don't scold me, but I prefer British English way of writing (Like Colour, Harbour) BUT I prefer talking in non-slang British English with American Accent. Because I dont understand shit when I converse with a British Citizen (sorry if you felt offended)

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
SamAsh07 said:
Uh don't scold me, but I prefer British English way of writing (Like Colour, Harbour) BUT I prefer talking in non-slang British English with American Accent. Because I dont understand shit when I converse with a British Citizen (sorry if you felt offended)
I like British spellings and American accents.

The main reason why I write in American spelling is because I hate to see that red underscore on my word which is spelled correctly.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SamAsh07 said:

So, Canadian. lol.
We spell things the same way as the british but use essentially none of their slang. We adapt a lot more American slang, and have our own as well.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I love the term American Accent. There are multiple American accents, just like British. I have no accent. I live in an area of the US that has no accent. Straight English.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
impizkit said:
I love the term American Accent. There are multiple American accents, just like British. I have no accent. I live in an area of the US that has no accent. Straight English.
You can't not have an accent.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:
impizkit said:

That spoken from someone that has one, likely. There truly is such a thing as no accent. I dont have a southern accent, Minnesota/Wisconsin accent or a New England accent or any other American Accent. If you were American, you would know what I mean.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Do non-native speakers use the American way of referring to collective nouns (where they're always referred to in the singular - the team is playing well, the enemy is defeated) or the British way (Where depending on context they can be singular or plural - The government is in trouble, the team are fighting amongst themselves, both equally correct)

Posts merged

impizkit said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
impizkit said:

That spoken from someone that has one, likely. There truly is such a thing as no accent. I dont have a southern accent, Minnesota/Wisconsin accent or a New England accent or any other American Accent. If you were American, you would know what I mean.

I'd be willing to bet that if I met you, I'd know you were an American by the way you said words. How is that not an accent?

The closest thing to 'no accent' would be Received Pronunciation. Which unless you're a narrator from a 1930s British Pathe newsreel, I'd be willing to bet you don't speak.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hells Malice said:
SamAsh07 said:

So, Canadian. lol.
We spell things the same way as the british but use essentially none of their slang. We adapt a lot more American slang, and have our own as well.
Yeah Canadian lol. Never heard a Canadian speak so...didn't know
tongue.gif

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Do non-native speakers use the American way of referring to collective nouns (where they're always referred to in the singular - the team is playing well, the enemy is defeated) or the British way (Where depending on context they can be singular or plural - The government is in trouble, the team are fighting amongst themselves, both equally correct)

Posts merged

impizkit said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
impizkit said:

I'd be willing to bet that if I met you, I'd know you were an American by the way you said words. How is that not an accent?

The closest thing to 'no accent' would be Received Pronunciation. Which unless you're a narrator from a 1930s British Pathe newsreel, I'd be willing to bet you don't speak.
Just because I am American doesnt mean I have an accent. You would recognize me as American because of my lack of an accent. Any Americans that can back me up here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    classic controller funky kong flame runner is overrated, i prefer wii wheel wario flame runner
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i returned
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm happy its first person.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All big titles should offer first and 3rd person it's been a thing since like gtaV
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing Killer Clowns from Outer Space all day, is pretty fun. Basically Friday 13th but with clowns. One of my favorite b rated movies from way back.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, is it a game or a movie? get decided!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its a game based off the old movie
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a down scene with slow drums
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh cool that Bodycam games out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ratings for it are calling it bad, but it looks cool. Damn 48/100 rating.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    looks are deceiving
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea people always down vote games anymore seems like, good or bad, bunch of haters
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, review bombing?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah seems like people hate on original ideas anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh were sorry our small dev team can't shit out a cod clone every 6 months
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly positive on steam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Eew, you use steam, I'm down voting you cause you not using or playing what I like.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yes and epic and gog, sleep with me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Homophobic
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, whats wrong with steam?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nothing, I was just teasing
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He's a big tease trying to take my booty