English. English. English.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
impizkit said:
Just because I am American doesnt mean I have an accent. You would recognize me as American because of my lack of an accent. Any Americans that can back me up here?

Of course I fucking would, I'd recognise your AMERICAN way of speaking - your ACCENT! Americans clip certain words, you have certain ways of saying vowel sounds. Unless you speak like a robot, you have an accent! Does an Australian who doesn't speak like any one particular part of Australia not have an accent?

Record a tape of your voice, by all means. It's a bit of an insular and slightly ignorant attitude to think "My way of speaking is 'normal', any variations of it are accents.'

Do you say "oregano" the British way or the American way? Or 'neither' because you supposedly don't have any accent at all?

EDIT: People would say that I don't have much of an accent because I don't have much of a local accent. But if I spoke to you you'd immediately know I was British. Do I have no accent or a British one?

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
This conversation is over. I never said it was normal or right, just lack of accent. I dont think Im better than anyone. And to be honest with you, BlueStar, I love British accents. But this has gotten out of hand and without anyone to back me up, Im out.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
impizkit said:
Just because I am American doesnt mean I have an accent. You would recognize me as American because of my lack of an accent. Any Americans that can back me up here?
The way you speak, is your accent, so unless you don't speak, you have an accent.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Saying you have no accent is like saying Americans speak the one true English.

...which is kind of typical to be honest.

You have an American accent, get over it.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
impizkit said:
This conversation is over. I never said it was normal or right, just lack of accent. I dont think Im better than anyone. And to be honest with you, BlueStar, I love British accents. But this has gotten out of hand and without anyone to back me up, Im out.
facepalm.jpg

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, I'm using Internet Ingrish, it's nice too
smileipb2.png

At French school we learned British english in secondary, but then I don't remember. I guess it changed with the teacher's country origin.
I started playing video games (99% in American) and learned quicker and more things by playing than what they taught me.

School was great for grammar lessons, verb conjugation and little vocabulary, but most of what I know now is either from video games/internet/watching movie & anime with subtitles.
So, it's all a mixture of cultures and origins...

I don't know which one is best, I usually use the included American english dictionary in Firefox so I use that one to correct what I'm typing, and then tend to write the American version of the words.

BlueStar said:
impizkit said:
And to be honest with you, BlueStar, I love British accents.

I don't have an accent, I just speak like a normal guy. From Britain
smileipb2.png
Do you have only one accent from all over the Britain?

In France, every region have his own accent, even some towns have their unique accent and unique words/dialect.
Some regions don't have accent, when other have it. The accent is easy to learn and automatically change after few days of living at a new place. After speaking with someone with a pronounced accent, we tend to talk the same way. it's funny
tongue.gif

We know where the person is coming from only by his way of speaking. I like accent, and usually people like it too, it's "cute".

edit: also, we love British accent when you speak french
tongue.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
Do you have only one accent from all over the Britain?

In France, every region have his own accent, even some towns have their unique accent and unique words/dialect.
Some regions don't have accent, when other have it. The accent is easy to learn and automatically change after few days of living at a new place. After speaking with someone with a pronounced accent, we tend to talk the same way. it's funny
tongue.gif

We know where the person is coming from only by his way of speaking. I like accent, and usually people like it too, it's "cute".

edit: also, we love British accent when you speak french
tongue.gif

I'm being facetious because of the whole "I don't have an accent, I speak normally because I'm an American" thing. There are loads of accents in the UK, you only have to travel a short distance for there to be quite a variation - geordie, scouse brummie, cockney... I live in Newcastle, but I can tell the difference with someone who lives in Sudnerland or Ashington (Where they speak some kind of genetically modified super geordie: Here's some Ashington jokes - "A lorry load of terrapins has overturned in Ashinton. Local police say it's turle mayhem." "I went to a hairdressers in Ashington and asked for a perm. The hairdresser said "Ah wandard lurnley as a cloud...")

My Dad is a French, german and Spanish teacher and although you'd probably nail him as British even though he's fluent, the accent he speaks French is is very different to the one he speaks English in. Even when he says things like "Er" and "Um" it's that very deep, throaty French sound.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
BlueStar said:
Where they speak some kind of genetically modified super geordie
genetically
rofl.gif

I didn't get the joke in the two sentences, sorry.
Other British users will certainly understand them.

France have completely different dialects too. It's like a different languages, not French anymore.
They even made a famous anime in Breton (Mysterious cities of gold) and broadcasted it on TV.
There are so many things to learn.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Acekard instructions in Geordie dialect

Alreet? Have yuz got one o' them geet bonny AceKards, pet? Howay then, I'll larn yer how to set it up. In order f' the Acekard 2i te wark proper on a DSi or DSi XL wi FirmWare version 1.4/ 1.4.1, yee need te update the Acekard's internal firmware. This can ernly be dyun using a DS Phat/ DS Lite or a DSi wi FirmWare version =< 1.3. Aal new DSi's or DSi XL's will come wi FW1.4 preinstalled, so if yee divvent hev access te a DS Phat/ DS Lite or a DSi wi FirmWare =< 1.3 yee gorra purchase yer Acekard 2i frem a retailer such as ShopTemp whee will preupdate the Acekard so it's compatible wi FW1.4 as port of thor Premium Update + Flashing Service. Even if yee intend te use yer AK2i wi a DS Lite, yee should still hoy the firmware on cos mebbies some divvie or a bairn knackers yer DSL or ya gan get a DSi or DSi XL instead. It's also a canny idea even if yer DSi has FW 1.3 an'all, an yee intend te keep it tha way, someone else may gan an update the DSi's firmware and not let yuhs knaa.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer the American variety. I never find myself pronouncing a word like "color" as "colour".

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Uh... Colour and color are pronounced the same way, only the spelling is different. How do you think we say it? Culower?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Uh... Colour and color are pronounced the same way, only the spelling is different. How do you think we say it? Culower?
If they're pronounced the same way, then I see no reason for the debates that always spring up.
And yes, yes I do.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
It's said 'culler' or something similar depending on your accent whether its got a U in it or not. The debate's still pretty pointless, but its a spelling debate rather than a pronunciation debate
wink.gif

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Wish there was just one way of spelling English to be honest, makes things difficult for the people learning it, and more tricky for students using the web for their work (where American and British English are everywhere).

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I have a mixed way. In school, they taught us the british way (my teacher prefered it), but I learned by myself playing videogames/watching movies.
Personally, I prefer the way British people talk, I understand it more.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer American English because i'm an american
laugh.gif

Although I'm quite familiar with British English as well I'm not one of those people who accuses colour, analogue, matt, or tonne of being wrong.
I can at least do that much to avoid making myself sound like a jackass on the internet as if the united States created English

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spelling-wise, I don't really care if it's British or American [quite fun to confuse people sometimes]. Both systems [for lack of a better term] have their own little nuances, of course. Though when spoken, I love the British variant more. It just rings of the sophistication and depth, IMHO [of course it can be a tad confusing sometimes, aye, lads?]. In school, we were taught mostly the American system.

Really depends on you, I guess...

PS
There's also like an idea here in the Philippines to use English as the primary language in schools. Dunno how that'll end up....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I only drank alcohol once and it was by accident
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt know it was beer, it was on a juice bottle
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yeah, I'm addicted to smoking, sadly. It's very addictive but I wish I didn't start.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    May just order a 5700g for a nas/emulation set up tbh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast you were asleep on 4/20
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, you played that Mario flash game called Mario 63?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No, but I've seen it on Vinesauce's stream.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that game is one of the reasons i met newgrounds bc the full versión of it is in that site
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Also somebody is remaking it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the other game where I found newgrounds is new york shark
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Spoke to Tom Fulp the other day, if he can find his old Newgrounds site content like the mini Flash animations from the 2000's that played on the portal.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So far no response, but he did say that he'll find them. Wayback Machine doesn't have em.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast the 1999 versión of pico's school is avaliable (the difference between it, the 2006 versión and the 2016 versión is that the speed of the game depends of the speed of your computer and that it had the og soundtrack)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Another being Pico VS Bear, the original 1999 version before Jim Henson filed a DMCA takedown.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    The 2006 versión was made when the flash portal was made
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many people thought it was lost, but was discovered that he hid it on the same page.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, although the "secrets" system where the game was has been removed. Also pico vs uberkids had a netplay versión that was shutdown, although the swf file has been found
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nope. There are two download buttons on the same page, where you can download the original under a file called "bear.exe". "bear2.exe", however, is the updated game in a Flash projector. P.s. this was on the archived Pico page from 2000.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's been there for a long time, too. People who search for lost media don't look hard enough lmao.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also the pico 2 demos used to be only for the newgrounds patrons but they are on internet archive too (https://archive.org/download/picos_school_2)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Iirc the demos were removed from newgrounds in 2022
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds +1