ROM Hack RELEASE EmuTool - Move partition Emu on another SD, Switch Emu type on SXOS and more

TheyKilledKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can this be used to simply clone one card to another? Im a bit confused. It seems like you have to convert the hidden partition to a file. Im not sure why or if I would want to do that? I am moving from a 256GB to 512GB.
Yes and No,
If you have emuMMC or Emunand on file, you don't need this tool to upgrade to a bigger card, you can manually copy the SD contet from one card to another.
Using this tool you can make a backup of your current emuMMC on Hidden Partition to your pc and than restore it in any other (bigger) card with the needed free space.
There isn't any data conversion during the backup and restore, I only decided to use the same format of emunand on file to backup the hidden partition emunand, so the backup itself can be used in other ways.

To upgrade your sd card with an hidden partition emu and keep all your installed games you need to:
  • Backup your emunand with EmuTool
  • Create a partition on the new sd card (see previous post on minitool partition wizard)
  • Restore emunand on the new sd card with EmuTool
  • Place all your preferred cfw files on new SD (good time to clean and upgrade everything )
  • Copy the Nintendo folder of your emunand (generally in sd:\emuMMC\Raw1\Nintendo) or Emutendo folder if sxos from old SD to new SD (EmuTool tells you where at the end of restore process)
  • If you use the same SD card also on sysnand, than copy the Nintendo folder you can find on the root of your old SD card to the root of the new one.
Ciao!

Tierry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I understand the process but when I did it on EmuTool it showed my sd cards with 2 partitions on each.
I noticed that both sd have a 29.15gb partition on them which I used TegraExplorer to create, so do I copy those partitions from my old sd to the new one?
I also tried copying the main partitions which is 30gb and 119gb respectively but always got a RAW9 folder at the end, not RAW1.
My apology for being bad at expressing my confusion, honestly I'm so confused I don't even know how to describe the situation I'm having.

xxcthomasxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please help me get this working. I have tried a few diff methods and every method ends with the same result. The switch will not load my emunand. hekate boots right back to the hekate menu. I have my emunand on an SD partition. I first tried hdd raw image tool to make a full rip of my old sd card. I then applied it to the new and it booted fine. Upon resizing the sd card it stopped detecting emunand and started the booting back to hekate. I then found and used this tool to make a backup of my hidden atmosphere partition into a file. I then restored the file as a hidden partition on the new sd card. I have checked the ini file and the sector is correct according to the emutool. Using the tool causes the same thing to happen. Hekate doesnt detect emunand and it boots back to itself.

TheyKilledKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I understand the process but when I did it on EmuTool it showed my sd cards with 2 partitions on each.
I noticed that both sd have a 29.15gb partition on them which I used TegraExplorer to create, so do I copy those partitions from my old sd to the new one?
I also tried copying the main partitions which is 30gb and 119gb respectively but always got a RAW9 folder at the end, not RAW1.
My apology for being bad at expressing my confusion, honestly I'm so confused I don't even know how to describe the situation I'm having.
Sorry for late reply.
You have to select only the 30Gb partition.
First of all from the starting SD card copy the 30Gb as source to a file format as target (choose your preferred) on your PC, then set the files format as source and restore to the new SD 30GB partition as target.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@TheyKilledKenny Its not detecting any of my drives...Got any thoughts?
If you have already checked the "Show All Drive" checkbox in the Drive selection windows, sorry I don't know why.
Which OS are you using?
How do you connect the SD card to the PC?

Ciao!

Can someone please help me get this working. I have tried a few diff methods and every method ends with the same result. The switch will not load my emunand. hekate boots right back to the hekate menu. I have my emunand on an SD partition. I first tried hdd raw image tool to make a full rip of my old sd card. I then applied it to the new and it booted fine. Upon resizing the sd card it stopped detecting emunand and started the booting back to hekate. I then found and used this tool to make a backup of my hidden atmosphere partition into a file. I then restored the file as a hidden partition on the new sd card. I have checked the ini file and the sector is correct according to the emutool. Using the tool causes the same thing to happen. Hekate doesnt detect emunand and it boots back to itself.
During resize did you changed from FAT32 to exFAT? and your Emunand have the exFAT support?

If you have used Emutool, try to format SD in fat32 and boot emunad from the generated file. It may take up to 20 minutes to launch a File emunad filewith Atmo (at least on my consoles).

Ciao!

Last edited by TheyKilledKenny,
Reactions: SpaceJump

Tierry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did it and a new emummc folder was created on the 30Gb partition, I then moved it to the 90Gb partition and copied the entire content of my old SD to the new one, except the emummc folder which I only copied the Nintendo folder to the RAW9 inside of it and everything is working perfectly now. Thank you for creating the tool!

lieder1987

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for late reply.
If you have already checked the "Show All Drive" checkbox in the Drive selection windows, sorry I don't know why.
Which OS are you using?
How do you connect the SD card to the PC?

Ciao!

Ciao!

Using Windows 10 and I tried both a USB reader and the switch itself. Both times it shows up in file explorer.

SethPDA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@TheyKilledKenny I'm trying to create an atmosphere partition from a hekate backup. The tools does it's things, but then it asks me to "copy the nintendo folder" over to the emummc partition of the sd. What Nintendo folder and where?

vaanen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I followed the tutorial closely, yet i ended up having the same issue as Tierry. It made the emummc folder on the 30gb partition, and it was a "raw9" folder and not "raw1". I copied the folder as he did on the bigger partition, but it did not work. in hekate, it is written "emummc enabled" and it finds the nintendo folder and the right sector, but launching emummc does not work (unknown pkg1, failee to launch hos) my 30gb partition is empty, and when i press migrate emummc to see if hekate finds anything, it says there is no emummc. I checked the sector of the partition and it is the right one, i'm confused

EDIT : i got it working. i tried, from that point, after doing all the tasks said above, cloning my old emummc partition from the old sd card to the new one. Sectors changed, so i had to launch emutool again and find the new sector of the cloned partition. Emutool renamed my emummc to "Raw9", so it was not finding my installed nsp, after renaming everything to Raw1(folder and in the ini) everything works !

Last edited by vaanen,

TessQueen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Same for me here, it's only detecting C, i'm using windows 10 and a sd card reader, I also checked the show all drives box.

Just to let you know I've tried with another compter and it worked like a charm, thanks a lot, you saved my emunand (and the saves files that was in it!)

TheyKilledKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am very sorry that I was not able to reply to these posts.
This is a very, too hot time at work and I don't have a minute left for myself and my hobbies.

I did it and a new emummc folder was created on the 30Gb partition, I then moved it to the 90Gb partition and copied the entire content of my old SD to the new one, except the emummc folder which I only copied the Nintendo folder to the RAW9 inside of it and everything is working perfectly now. Thank you for creating the tool!
Happy you solved, I try to answer for future reference.
This is a strange problem. How did you manage to see both partitions (the 90Gb and 30Gb partitions) of the SD in Windows?
Maybe you've created a primary and an extended partition and formatted both, but that's not the correct way.
You have to create a primary partition (the big one) and format, then create a second primary partition, but don't format it.
Let me know if I'm wrong.

I followed the tutorial closely, yet i ended up having the same issue as Tierry. It made the emummc folder on the 30gb partition, and it was a "raw9" folder and not "raw1". I copied the folder as he did on the bigger partition, but it did not work. in hekate, it is written "emummc enabled" and it finds the nintendo folder and the right sector, but launching emummc does not work (unknown pkg1, failee to launch hos) my 30gb partition is empty, and when i press migrate emummc to see if hekate finds anything, it says there is no emummc. I checked the sector of the partition and it is the right one, i'm confused

EDIT : i got it working. i tried, from that point, after doing all the tasks said above, cloning my old emummc partition from the old sd card to the new one. Sectors changed, so i had to launch emutool again and find the new sector of the cloned partition. Emutool renamed my emummc to "Raw9", so it was not finding my installed nsp, after renaming everything to Raw1(folder and in the ini) everything works !
It seems the same case, what kind of partition did you create in the first step? Two primary partitions or one primary plus one extended?

I didn't understand the RAW9 folder problem. This is just a folder name, I chose RAW9 to not conflict with other RAW1 or RAW2, etc. that you could have created using Hekate.
The ini file created inside emummc should already point to the correct RAW9 folder.
All the NSPs installed on the SD card are stored in the Nintendo folder that you must manually copy from the old sd emummc/RAWxx/Nintendo (or wherever it is in your installation) to the new sd in the sd:\emummc\RAW9\ so the result is sd:\emummc\RAW9\Nintendo.

@TheyKilledKenny I'm trying to create an atmosphere partition from a hekate backup. The tools does it's things, but then it asks me to "copy the nintendo folder" over to the emummc partition of the sd. What Nintendo folder and where?
When you are copying from SD to PC, it asks you to manually copy your current Nintendo folder (maybe in /emummc/RAW1/Nintendo) on your PC. When you restore the emunand from PC to SD, it tells you to manually copy the Nintendo folder to the sd in emummc/RAW9/Nintendo.

Just to let you know I've tried with another compter and it worked like a charm, thanks a lot, you saved my emunand (and the saves files that was in it!)
I can't find out why some SD players don't appear as removable or fixed drives. I'm sorry, but I don't have a solution for this problem at the moment.

Sorry again for late reply.

Ciao!

Reactions: SpaceJump

TragicKnight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question. My real only access to any type of computer is this chromebook sadly but I can install linux on it. I was wondering if there would be a way to do this through linux. I do have a pc thats in this house but its like an old tower from like 2005 and i have no idea if it runs. But right now I switched from atmo to sxos and I want to merge my Emunands together

jpmasterflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello im having an issue with moving my atmopshere emunand partition from my old sd to a new bigger one. Reading the posts here i followed the tutorial...i backed up my emunand from my old sd using emutool: (partition to file), then copied the old partition over to the new sd. About 30gb..Then i restored the emunand(file to partition) to the new partition. After it finished it said move nintendo folder from raw9 to sd etc. Once i did that..i tried booting it through hekate but it keeps giving me a black screen that for some reason blinks when i press the power button. I tried renaming the folders to raw 1...that didnt work...and yes i used mini tool wizard to mkae sure i knew the correct physical sector to put in emu tool but still black screen...im stumped...am i missing something? I have two partitions...the main one for the other files and the emu partition...it cant mean i have to copy the emummc folder from the old sd to the 30 gb emummc folder can it? It would never fit. Since my emunand partition is only 30gb and my nintendo folder in emummc is over 100. I have no idea what to do at this point.

Update: I figured it out...apparently i just needed to set the emunand partition file system to unformatted...then restore the backup...Your instructions were saying create the emunand partition as fat32 with no drive letter but dont format it...which confused me since creating the partition as fat 32 requires formatting..

Last edited by jpmasterflex,

TheyKilledKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Question. My real only access to any type of computer is this chromebook sadly but I can install linux on it. I was wondering if there would be a way to do this through linux. I do have a pc thats in this house but its like an old tower from like 2005 and i have no idea if it runs. But right now I switched from atmo to sxos and I want to merge my Emunands together
This tools can run on windows XP with very low system resource requirements, so if your pc is able to run XP it will be able to run EmuTool, my concern is about SD reader speed, so the backup and restore can be a very long process, and if emutool will be able to find the SD drive as someone are reporting.
I didn't had the time to try on any linux windows emulator. I don't know if wine is able to emulate kernel32 functions, maybe a qemu with a ultralight windows xp can do the job, but I don't know if it will be able to find SD drives, Sorry.

Ciao!

Hello im having an issue with moving my atmopshere emunand partition from my old sd to a new bigger one. Reading the posts here i followed the tutorial...i backed up my emunand from my old sd using emutool: (partition to file), then copied the old partition over to the new sd. About 30gb..Then i restored the emunand(file to partition) to the new partition. After it finished it said move nintendo folder from raw9 to sd etc. Once i did that..i tried booting it through hekate but it keeps giving me a black screen that for some reason blinks when i press the power button. I tried renaming the folders to raw 1...that didnt work...and yes i used mini tool wizard to mkae sure i knew the correct physical sector to put in emu tool but still black screen...im stumped...am i missing something? I have two partitions...the main one for the other files and the emu partition...it cant mean i have to copy the emummc folder from the old sd to the 30 gb emummc folder can it? It would never fit. Since my emunand partition is only 30gb and my nintendo folder in emummc is over 100. I have no idea what to do at this point.

Update: I figured it out...apparently i just needed to set the emunand partition file system to unformatted...then restore the backup...Your instructions were saying create the emunand partition as fat32 with no drive letter but dont format it...which confused me since creating the partition as fat 32 requires formatting..
Sorry for the misundersanding, I corrected the little minitools guide.

Ciao!

Galebourn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can I use this tool to change my SXOS emunand to an Atmosphere emummc on the same SD card without creating a new partition? I just wanna convert my old emunand.

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,
does anyone know what could be the cause of this error message?

Anmerkung 2020-04-04 013416.png

justincase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks like the exact tool I need, however when attempting to choose SD card (run as Admin), everything is blank. Even ticking show all drives doesn't list any drives at all. Any suggestions? I'm attempting to migrate to a larger SD card. Thanks!'

When entering the SD into my computer, I can see both partitions (and the usual Windows 10 error that it doesn't like the hidden partition). It's only EmuTools that can't see any SD cards.

Last edited by justincase,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Andy didn't get any catholic toys because they wouldn't go limp when they saw him