[EASY] Solderless Trinket M0 dongle with 1" connector and CR2032 battery

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by DollyWhipDoll, Sep 22, 2018.

1. DollyWhipDoll
    OP

DollyWhipDoll You're on ignore.

May 18, 2018
    United States
    This is for those who...

1.Don't know how to solder and/or don't want to buy soldering equipment for a, potential, 1 time use

2.Want quick and easy access to spare dongle parts, if {when...battery} necessary

3.Want everything open source so they know what's going into their Switch

The 'hardest' part of this is the, initial, wait for shipping because I went for the best prices I could find.

Buy 2, 1 as a backup or split the costs with someone else!

Have used this, flawlessly, many times!

Cut off about 3"/76mm wire, strip off long enough ends around on each side of the wire {leaving enough plastic on the middle of the wire}, and wrap around the connectors. For each wraparound, tug a little to get a stable grip. About 5 should suffice. Do as many as it takes to make it feel secure to you.

Bat to {+}
    Gnd to {-}

Make sure your Trinket M0 has a button. As you can see in the 3rd photo above 'Trinket M0' at the bottom, mine doesn't {didn't notice it right away}. I tapped some ALUMINUM foil in that section until the UF2 boot loader menu came up on my computer, then I copy, pasted, and overrode the UF2 file on the Trinket M0.

To hold the Trinket M0 to the CR2032 holder, I am using some poster putty and it holds very well. You could, carefully, place a little hot glue to hold it in place. I'm using a little bit of putty on the smooth side of the micro USB OTG adapter to hold it in place with the USB C OTG, as well.

That little plastic square you see is some shrink plastic tinkering I'm doing to make a case, but that requires sealing and stuff... You could use painter's tape or, maybe, find a Lilypad file to 3D print at home or a library.

Items used and price examples...

Photos...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by DollyWhipDoll, Sep 22, 2018
    Don Jon likes this.
  2. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    Ghettodongles.com

Mouser X likes this.
  3. pandavova

pandavova @pandavova FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

Oct 27, 2015
    Germany
    Windows 10 Pro
    well its better then no dongle. its actually pretty good.

DollyWhipDoll likes this.
  4. DollyWhipDoll
    OP

May 18, 2018
    United States
    ...can't imagine which 1 of those things I have on ignore is in this thread...

Thank you! It's like 'Circa;before the $10 dongles started showing up', lol.

5. mattytrog

mattytrog Not on my watch.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Obsessed with placing people on ignore aren't you Dolly? Get a life my friend.

If you require help with your dongle feel free to get in touch.

6. Maupiti

Maupiti GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2018
    France
    That’s all the fun of D.I.Y... Well done @DollyWhipDoll !...
    By the way... I love your pink tape measure...

Last edited by Maupiti, Sep 26, 2018
  7. qwasy

qwasy Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2017
    Germany
    You could have get an Gemma M0 instead of a Trinket. The Gemma is same as a Trinket, but has a plug for a battery pack. So no soldering needed.
    And the micro usb and usb c adapters are really nice.

8. DollyWhipDoll
    OP

May 18, 2018
    United States
    Thank you! :)