E3 2008: DS Accelerometer / New DS Forthcoming?

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
US, July 14, 2008 - It's E3 time and the rumors are spreading like wildfire. Sources tell IGN that development studio Activision is preparing to release a new peripheral designed to give Nintendo DS motion/tit functionality. The small add-on will take a cue from Guitar Hero: On Tour and plug into the Game Boy Advance slot on the DS. One of the first games to make use of this new peripheral will be the next version of Tony Hawk.

Insiders also assert that Nintendo itself may alternatively be planning to release new DS cartridges with built in accelerometers, a possibility that could eventually negate the importance of Activision's peripheral.

In semi-related news, IGN has separately heard from trusted insiders that Nintendo could be planning to debut a slimmed down version of its handheld complemented by a dramatically reduced (sub-$100) price tag. Whether or not this made-over DS will include built-in accelerometer functionality is not known. There is a chance that the Big N will show off the updated DS at E3 2008 this week.

A redesigned DS might ship sans a GBA slot, which could explain why Nintendo might be separately developing accelerometer-based cartridges despite Activision's own efforts.

As always, until IGN can validate the information through multiple sources, readers should consider the hearsay posted in this article as rumor. We will update with new details as they become available.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/889/889216p1.html

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I wonder if they created their own or asked for permission to use the designs for NDSMotion Pak/NDSMotion Card?
It's probably the first alternative though.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Well.. the add-on strategy worked well for Guitar Hero DS.. wouldn't be surprised if Activision tried something similar with another game..

Now, a new DS redesign coming out? Sure! If you look at the history of Nintendo's handhelds.. it's certain that we'll get a new one sometime (maybe tomorrow even).. Now, the new one coming with an accelerometer? I found it very hard to believe.. well.. we'll know about it in less than 24 hours
smile.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Argh! Not another redesign so soon! Didn't they learn with the GBAMicro? At least here it wasn't so great since the DS release was too close to it. I guess.

Not having the GBA slot is a little strange, seeing how the processor is still going to be there. I wonder how much smaller we're talking too? Hrmm...If they axe the other processor, some DS games won't be able to run.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Cutting Gba-support wouldn't improve the DS it would just make it worse.

Gba-support>Smaller DS

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well it does make sense that if the made a new DS design, they wouldnt just be adding like a bigger screen and adjusting the graphics and stuff. if they added this accelerometer
but then again
i doubt the price will go down
wont this add-on increase the prices?
p.s. does that mean if we trade in, it wont be as expensive? XD

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather have the add-on than new built-in hardware I'm rarely going to use. I mean, let's ignore the fact that I have a slot-2 flashcart. How often did I use the Rumble Pak? Yeah.

I guess we'll have to wait and see then.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Doomsday Forte said:
I'd rather have the add-on than new built-in hardware I'm rarely going to use. I mean, let's ignore the fact that I have a slot-2 flashcart. How often did I use the Rumble Pak? Yeah.

I guess we'll have to wait and see then.

Well.. this would screw up "Guitar Hero - On Tour" (which is a big seller) and you wouldn't be able to trade pokemons from your GBA games..

So.. I don't think Nintendo will get rid of the slot-2..

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait. is this accelerometer like the wario add on for the GBA? the one where it sensors movement? so like, its pretty much incorporating the wii feature on the DS (i mean, if it were true).
so...does that mean we could get like say..mario kart wii on the DS (by that i mean, just the function to control a kart by tilting your DS)?

Lupigen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WarioWare Twisted! had a Gyroscope, which measures rotation. Accelerometers involve the measurement of acceleration and direction.

As for whether they would put an accelerometer inside the DS redesign, I would highly doubt it. Think about it: What would be the point of putting one inside the DS redesign if it is going to be included in every slot-1 cart of the game? It would be redundant to have multiple accelerometers when only one is needed, and a built-in one would only serve to benefit Activision and pirates.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd think it'd be, overall, cheaper if the things are included in the system, though, rather than each and every cart :/

Acceleration? I don't want to see gimmicks where I imitate throwing my DS in a direction
frown.gif

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There were rumors of this at last E3. We will find out if its true this time around.

And if they introduce a new DS without a GBA slot, who says the will stop selling lites? They will be sold alongside the lites, like the micro was with the SP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare