E3 2008: DS Accelerometer / New DS Forthcoming?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by satel, Jul 15, 2008.

Jul 15, 2008
  1. satel
    OP

Member satel Luigi's Big Brother

Tokelau
    US, July 14, 2008 - It's E3 time and the rumors are spreading like wildfire. Sources tell IGN that development studio Activision is preparing to release a new peripheral designed to give Nintendo DS motion/tit functionality. The small add-on will take a cue from Guitar Hero: On Tour and plug into the Game Boy Advance slot on the DS. One of the first games to make use of this new peripheral will be the next version of Tony Hawk.

Insiders also assert that Nintendo itself may alternatively be planning to release new DS cartridges with built in accelerometers, a possibility that could eventually negate the importance of Activision's peripheral.

In semi-related news, IGN has separately heard from trusted insiders that Nintendo could be planning to debut a slimmed down version of its handheld complemented by a dramatically reduced (sub-$100) price tag. Whether or not this made-over DS will include built-in accelerometer functionality is not known. There is a chance that the Big N will show off the updated DS at E3 2008 this week.

A redesigned DS might ship sans a GBA slot, which could explain why Nintendo might be separately developing accelerometer-based cartridges despite Activision's own efforts.

As always, until IGN can validate the information through multiple sources, readers should consider the hearsay posted in this article as rumor. We will update with new details as they become available.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/889/889216p1.html

2. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I wonder if they created their own or asked for permission to use the designs for NDSMotion Pak/NDSMotion Card?
    It's probably the first alternative though.

3. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Well.. the add-on strategy worked well for Guitar Hero DS.. wouldn't be surprised if Activision tried something similar with another game..

Now, a new DS redesign coming out? Sure! If you look at the history of Nintendo's handhelds.. it's certain that we'll get a new one sometime (maybe tomorrow even).. Now, the new one coming with an accelerometer? I found it very hard to believe.. well.. we'll know about it in less than 24 hours [​IMG]

4. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Argh! Not another redesign so soon! Didn't they learn with the GBAMicro? At least here it wasn't so great since the DS release was too close to it. I guess.

Not having the GBA slot is a little strange, seeing how the processor is still going to be there. I wonder how much smaller we're talking too? Hrmm...If they axe the other processor, some DS games won't be able to run.

5. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    If this is true, thats more of a reason for there to be a new DS. But why slimmed down? Is it not slim enough?

6. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    Redesigned without a GBA slot?
    Wouldn't...wouldn't that screw over a lot of games with GBA=>DS unlockables?

7. Minox

Sweden
    Cutting Gba-support wouldn't improve the DS it would just make it worse.

Gba-support>Smaller DS

8. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    well it does make sense that if the made a new DS design, they wouldnt just be adding like a bigger screen and adjusting the graphics and stuff. if they added this accelerometer
    but then again
    i doubt the price will go down
    wont this add-on increase the prices?
    p.s. does that mean if we trade in, it wont be as expensive? XD

9. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Whatever comes out, it better not block flashcarts [​IMG]

10. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    What, are they trying to make a it as slim as a knive? The project will fail if they get rid of the GBA slot.

11. Minox

Sweden
    I don't think thay can do that easily since the DS's encryption has been hacked.

12. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'd rather have the add-on than new built-in hardware I'm rarely going to use. I mean, let's ignore the fact that I have a slot-2 flashcart. How often did I use the Rumble Pak? Yeah.

I guess we'll have to wait and see then.

13. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Well.. this would screw up "Guitar Hero - On Tour" (which is a big seller) and you wouldn't be able to trade pokemons from your GBA games..

So.. I don't think Nintendo will get rid of the slot-2..

14. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Wow, can't believe they never thought of this before.

Sounds like a great idea...hopefully it will improve upcoming DS games [​IMG]

15. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    wait. is this accelerometer like the wario add on for the GBA? the one where it sensors movement? so like, its pretty much incorporating the wii feature on the DS (i mean, if it were true).
    so...does that mean we could get like say..mario kart wii on the DS (by that i mean, just the function to control a kart by tilting your DS)?

16. Lupigen

Newcomer Lupigen Advanced Member

United States
    WarioWare Twisted! had a Gyroscope, which measures rotation. Accelerometers involve the measurement of acceleration and direction.

As for whether they would put an accelerometer inside the DS redesign, I would highly doubt it. Think about it: What would be the point of putting one inside the DS redesign if it is going to be included in every slot-1 cart of the game? It would be redundant to have multiple accelerometers when only one is needed, and a built-in one would only serve to benefit Activision and pirates.

17. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'd think it'd be, overall, cheaper if the things are included in the system, though, rather than each and every cart :/

Acceleration? I don't want to see gimmicks where I imitate throwing my DS in a direction [​IMG]

18. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    There were rumors of this at last E3. We will find out if its true this time around.

And if they introduce a new DS without a GBA slot, who says the will stop selling lites? They will be sold alongside the lites, like the micro was with the SP

19. VISHI SO FISHI

Member VISHI SO FISHI Cricket My love!

India
    whats a accelrometer?

20. science

Member science science rules

Canada