Hardware Dual SATA dock with 1 HDD for vWii, 1 HDD for Wii U?

XC-3730C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently (finally) made the upgrade from Loadiine to Haxchi + CBHC on my Wii U after it sat around for about a year unused.

I have a spare dual SATA USB 3.0 dock (it doesn't have a USB hub, or memory card reader). Since installing Wii U WUP games to SD isn't possible, and flash drives on Wii U isn't reccomended, rather than having 2 external drives and swapping between them, would it be possible to have one drive in the dock (FAT32 formatted) for Wii/GC/WiiWare, and the other formatted for Wii U, and have them both accessible simultaneously?

Last edited by XC-3730C,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if it's using the same USB port, and you have a switch on your HDD dock, then it's never "at the same time". It's one or the other, just enable the one you need.
if you don't have a switch, and the dock is used to act as Raid0 or in a way where both hdds are mounted on the same USB Port, then it's acting as a hub.

WiiU works with HUB as long as you hide one of the drive with Ustealth. (I don't know how it would detect which hdd to partition or use if both drives are seen)
some vWii homebrew can use HUB, but not USBLoaders.

I wrote a guide to explain how to plug 2 or more drives at the same time on WiiU and vWii, it's kind of outdated now as the main problem was Nintendont, now it's compatible with multiple connected drives at the same time so just read the guide to get an idea of how the console is working.
I don't know if the guide will help you with your setup.
https://gbatemp.net/posts/7216091

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, using 2 different USB Port is working fine. A lot of users have this setup.

you need to be sure that :
- your hdds have enough power (externally powered, or y-cable is mandatory).
- you plug vWii data cable on the back-top (USB Port 0)
- you use Ustealth with the vWii drive, or else the WiiU menu will ask to format it.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place