The Incredible Sulk
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am concerned about this dual ban system that I am hearing about, I am going to use this suggestion forum to debate the subject.

My only concern is that there are users on both platforms, IRC, and the forums that maybe have a good reputation with no problems here, and somehow have a horrible reputation on IRC. I mean it does happen I am sure.

It also brings to rise the question of IRC mods effectively having the ability to ban people from the forums forever. All it take is say one bad encounter or disagreement and suddenly you find yourself unable to post on the forums, despite having a sparkiling record there.

Personally I think all bans handed out by IRC mods that want to dual ban should go through a case by case review of the situation of course unless the mod has that ability on both platforms, or say is way high up. I also think bans, from a week to perm should be discussed with multiple mods, with the person in question having the chance to put out their side of the story, because you know sometimes personal slips in there and some people might get banned forever for petty reasons and they never got a chance to defend themselves. I am saying i think this should be done in single platform or first/second time offences, if a person has been blatently breaking the rules day in day out thats a different story.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think, the difference in how IRC bans work and how they work here should merit that bans on IRC do not automatically carry over to the forums.

here, bans will usually be pre-empted by several warnings, usually with space in between for the member in question and the moderator in question to think things over. on IRC bans can often be spurious and depend partly or entirely on the mood of either party.

Therefore I would suggest that bans on the forum should carry over to IRC, but not vice versa

nb: i don't use gbatemp's IRC at all, just from my general knowledge of IRC/forums

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER