Hacking Hardware Will modding my switch get it banned.

Is it worth modding a switch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Modder_Boi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been thinking about modding my Switch Oled and have found a service and a chip I would like to use but I am unsure about several things. The main thing I'm worried about is getting my switch banned or getting banned from games. Does simply installing the mod chip cause the switch to get banned or is it modding games and/or using cheats? I was also wondering how the bans work (is it hardware, IP, or account). Also is there anything else I should know about before I modchip my switch?

Modder_Boi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. So am I able to use apps like ppsspp or similar apps besides homebrew? Also, I want to run Android on my Switch for various reasons and was wondering if this would cause issues with the original Nintendo software (or get me banned for some reason). Also, for those who have done it, how hard is it to install Android on the Switch?

belliq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you don't have an older console that you can mod for free (minus like $8 for a jig) I would say that it's not worth it just from a monetary perspective but also risk as well. Ryujinx can play practically everything by now in higher quality than the hardware, cheats/mods work with it, and games aren't difficult to find outside of Tinfoil shops, so unless you're desperate to play pirated games away from home that's not worth the ban risk. Animal Crossing is the only game I can think of where it's safe to run CFW online and there's a benefit to it, I guess MK8DX and Mario Party as well if you like model swapping mods. Also there's the potential of your chip dying or becoming loose for whatever reason which is more money potentially gone to fixing it. Let me be clear, if you do everything right 100% of the time there's practically no ban risk but it takes only one slip-up by loading the wrong side while still online and you've just lost online privileges permanently and I just don't see the point of potentially throwing away $500 to be able to play old PSP games away from your desk when you can do it for free at it.

ccarr6257

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
even if u pirate a ban is avoidable just got to make emunand, block nintendo with dns.mitm - this is then free range for whatever you want. for online gaming got to boot into stock which is without cfw and play your legit games on that. 2 years down the line still not banned on my og v1 switch

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been thinking about modding my Switch Oled and have found a service and a chip I would like to use but I am unsure about several things. The main thing I'm worried about is getting my switch banned or getting banned from games. Does simply installing the mod chip cause the switch to get banned or is it modding games and/or using cheats? I was also wondering how the bans work (is it hardware, IP, or account). Also is there anything else I should know about before I modchip my switch?
Any usage of CFW or homebrew can get you banned. That's literally how all bans have occurred. All of that data is recorded in this thread

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'm bumping this, but my switch just got banned for having CFW (niece updated my console and accessed the eShop). Is this just a console ban? Can I go buy a new one and have nintendo account unaffected?

Why did you not have DNS MITM or similar set up? And why is it always the niece, or younger brother, or the persons friends little sister? :rofl:

Reactions: Blythe93

vinheim

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.vinheim.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Why did you not have DNS MITM or similar set up? And why is it always the niece, or younger brother, or the persons friends little sister? :rofl:
lmao I dunno. She wanted to play some games lol. I even told her NOT to connect and bam, she did it. I just got CFW to play that TOTK leak lol. I even bought the game.

I don't care much for the switch itself, but I don't know what's the difference between getting banned from CFW and piracy

• Sad

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
lmao I dunno. She wanted to play some games lol. I even told her NOT to connect and bam, she did it. I just got CFW to play that TOTK leak lol. I even bought the game.

I don't care much for the switch itself, but I don't know what's the difference between getting banned from CFW and piracy
CFW doesn't get you banned, piracy does

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have to ask, were you even using an emunand/emuMMC? And who set the Switch up for you to run CFW, yourself or someone else? No DNS90 or DNS MITM? It wasn't even in airplane mode? LOL!

ccarr6257

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess I'm bumping this, but my switch just got banned for having CFW (niece updated my console and accessed the eShop). Is this just a console ban? Can I go buy a new one and have nintendo account unaffected?
If they access E shopping means you didn't even modify switch correctly anyway so you would've got banned at some point but yes it's a console ban

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom