DSTT Firmware Mods - Anyone know how to?

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by ndsdave, Jan 5, 2008.

Jan 5, 2008
  1. ndsdave
    OP

Newcomer ndsdave Advanced Member

Australia
    I'd like to customize the DSTT firmware on my DS. In particular, I'd like to change what some of the text on the upper screen. I don't wont to modify how the firmware works, just some of the text. For example, I want to change the text "Name" "Size" "www.NDSTT.com" Firmware "1.07" etc...

I'm aware of the skin.ini and the language.ini files. Should I be starting here? I couldn't see the firmware and web address fields anyware in these text files. Where should I start? Any ideas?

2. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Most likely in the Language.ini file. Thats the file I had to hack to un-engrish my SCDS1 menu. Its a different card but the vast majority of thes carts are based on some version of Moonshell [​IMG]

3. ndsdave
    OP

Australia
    I've looked through the language.ini file & skin.ini files No luck! All the .sys, .dat etc... files are in jumbled text. A search with notepad to find the text I want was unsuccessful. Any other ideas?

4. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    try the r4 decryptor on the .dat files, they look very similair to the r4ds ones.

5. ndsdave
    OP

Australia
    I have r4 decryptor, and the .dat file in the same folder. I've searched around and found that r4 decryptor needs to be run from the command line, so... If I have the files in the folder C:\My Documents\ABC and I go to

Start -> Run ->???

I'm sure it's no too hard!

Thanks In advance...

6. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Start
    Run
    Type 'cmd' without 's and press enter
    Type 'cd C:\My Documents\ABC' without 's and press enter

I can't help you any more until I know how to use the program, there should be instructions with it.

7. ndsdave
    OP

Australia
  8. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Most is easy
    Edit the Language file
    Edit the bmp's :Psome txt on buttons is just in the bmp itself
    the url and version is in the firmware, but it's a start

9. ndsdave
    OP

Australia
    Yeah, I have played around with the .bmp's and language file. I now really wanted to get to the firmware for the web address & version number.

10. twit21

Member twit21 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, r4crypt isn't decrypting the file correctly. After processing and looking at the output with a hex editor, I get nothing but gibberish. I'll dink around with it some more and see if I can come up with a way to remove the ad.

Edit: TTMENU.DAT isn't encrypted, but it doesn't seem to contain the WWW.NDSTT.COM string, either. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried opening ttsystem.ini and setting DRAWINFO to 0? I can't test this myself because my DSTT hasn't arrived yet, but that appears to be a likely solution....

11. GodMedia

Newcomer GodMedia Member

United States
    I read on MaxConsole that changing DRAWINFO doesn't seem to have any effect.

12. twit21

United States
    Link please. I don't see anything in their forum about it. Better yet, somebody here try it and find out first-hand.

It's possible that the offending WWW.NDSTT.COM line is somewhere in that megalithic 5MB TTMENU.SYS file, but being a compiled binary I have no way to get in there and find out. A hex editor shows nothing but FF's for every byte of the file when you open it.

13. MadBob

Member MadBob Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

United Kingdom
    I think that the 5MB TTMENU.SYS file is simply a memory swap file.

14. pinobot

Newcomer pinobot Newbie

Netherlands
    I've tried it. Changing DRAWINFO to 0 disables the top screen info, so there's not text at all, not the web-adres, the firmware version or the information about the file.

15. twit21

United States
    Well that's...somewhat helpful. It would still be nice to have the file info without having to look at the web address, though. Anyone else had a crack at the file with a hex editor?

16. pinobot

Newcomer pinobot Newbie

Netherlands
    Strange thing is, when i change the [MSGCOLOR] colors nothing happends.

17. ndsdave
    OP

Australia
    Anyone? Anyone? If there are any guru's out there who can weave magic - your assistance would be greatly appreciated. I just hate that WWW.NDSTT.COM advertisement on the top screen!

18. MadBob

Member MadBob Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

United Kingdom
    Found an expander for TTMENU.SYS TTinflate and cannot find the url in there, although the call to the URL will still be in the menu or other associated files.
    For both of these go to Yasu's site http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/ and search the page for the name of the software, Yasu doesn't want these hosted anywhere else.

19. ndsdave
    OP

Australia
    Thanks MadBob. Homebrew OS for the DSTT. Sounds promising. Anyone had a play with YSMENU yet? I saw that YSMENU was noted on Yasu's page - but no download link yet (beta or otherwise).

(I Found it! Thanks)

20. twit21

United States
    It's there, ndsdave, you just have to look. I put it on my card, booted it up, then shut it down and put my original TTMENU.DAT back in its place. The fact that somebody out there has decoded it and knows how to write a firmware for the card is promising, but the current incarnation of his custom kernel completely lacks the ability to use skins. Plus it's in Chinese and, while I can read some Chinese, I'm much more comfortable using something that speaks my native language.

I gotta tell ya, though, the WWW.NDSTT.COM on the top screen doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as it seems to bother you. Most of the time I don't notice it, so I'm happy to keep using the current official kernel until the NDSTT team updates it.