Hacking DSTT Firmware Mods - Anyone know how to?

ndsdave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd like to customize the DSTT firmware on my DS. In particular, I'd like to change what some of the text on the upper screen. I don't wont to modify how the firmware works, just some of the text. For example, I want to change the text "Name" "Size" "www.NDSTT.com" Firmware "1.07" etc...

I'm aware of the skin.ini and the language.ini files. Should I be starting here? I couldn't see the firmware and web address fields anyware in these text files. Where should I start? Any ideas?

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to customize the DSTT firmware on my DS. In particular, I'd like to change what some of the text on the upper screen. I don't wont to modify how the firmware works, just some of the text. For example, I want to change the text "Name" "Size" "www.NDSTT.com" Firmware "1.07" etc...

I'm aware of the skin.ini and the language.ini files. Should I be starting here? I couldn't see the firmware and web address fields anyware in these text files. Where should I start? Any ideas?

Most likely in the Language.ini file. Thats the file I had to hack to un-engrish my SCDS1 menu. Its a different card but the vast majority of thes carts are based on some version of Moonshell
ph34r.gif

ndsdave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've looked through the language.ini file & skin.ini files No luck! All the .sys, .dat etc... files are in jumbled text. A search with notepad to find the text I want was unsuccessful. Any other ideas?

ndsdave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have r4 decryptor, and the .dat file in the same folder. I've searched around and found that r4 decryptor needs to be run from the command line, so... If I have the files in the folder C:\My Documents\ABC and I go to

Start -> Run ->???

I'm sure it's no too hard!

Thanks In advance...

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Start
Run
Type 'cmd' without 's and press enter
Type 'cd C:\My Documents\ABC' without 's and press enter

I can't help you any more until I know how to use the program, there should be instructions with it.

ndsdave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, I have played around with the .bmp's and language file. I now really wanted to get to the firmware for the web address & version number.

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, r4crypt isn't decrypting the file correctly. After processing and looking at the output with a hex editor, I get nothing but gibberish. I'll dink around with it some more and see if I can come up with a way to remove the ad.

Edit: TTMENU.DAT isn't encrypted, but it doesn't seem to contain the WWW.NDSTT.COM string, either. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried opening ttsystem.ini and setting DRAWINFO to 0? I can't test this myself because my DSTT hasn't arrived yet, but that appears to be a likely solution....

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link please. I don't see anything in their forum about it. Better yet, somebody here try it and find out first-hand.

It's possible that the offending WWW.NDSTT.COM line is somewhere in that megalithic 5MB TTMENU.SYS file, but being a compiled binary I have no way to get in there and find out. A hex editor shows nothing but FF's for every byte of the file when you open it.

pinobot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've tried it. Changing DRAWINFO to 0 disables the top screen info, so there's not text at all, not the web-adres, the firmware version or the information about the file.

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's...somewhat helpful. It would still be nice to have the file info without having to look at the web address, though. Anyone else had a crack at the file with a hex editor?

ndsdave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anyone? Anyone? If there are any guru's out there who can weave magic - your assistance would be greatly appreciated. I just hate that WWW.NDSTT.COM advertisement on the top screen!

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Found an expander for TTMENU.SYS TTinflate and cannot find the url in there, although the call to the URL will still be in the menu or other associated files.
QUOTE said:
Ttinflate (2008/01/16)
LZ compression-decompression TTMENU.DAT only.

There is also a homebrew replacement TTMENU called YSMENU being worked on. QUOTE? YSMENU development (2008/01/21 02:25)
DSTT for your own kernel. SAV backup support.

For both of these go to Yasu's site http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/ and search the page for the name of the software, Yasu doesn't want these hosted anywhere else.

ndsdave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks MadBob. Homebrew OS for the DSTT. Sounds promising. Anyone had a play with YSMENU yet? I saw that YSMENU was noted on Yasu's page - but no download link yet (beta or otherwise).

(I Found it! Thanks)

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's there, ndsdave, you just have to look. I put it on my card, booted it up, then shut it down and put my original TTMENU.DAT back in its place. The fact that somebody out there has decoded it and knows how to write a firmware for the card is promising, but the current incarnation of his custom kernel completely lacks the ability to use skins. Plus it's in Chinese and, while I can read some Chinese, I'm much more comfortable using something that speaks my native language.

I gotta tell ya, though, the WWW.NDSTT.COM on the top screen doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as it seems to bother you. Most of the time I don't notice it, so I'm happy to keep using the current official kernel until the NDSTT team updates it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I...