DSiware on Lite?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Causton, Jun 1, 2009.

Jun 1, 2009

DSiware on Lite? by Causton at 6:50 PM (1,246 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Causton
    OP

Newcomer Causton Member

United Kingdom
    Ok, I'm just wondering but has anyone managed to or will possibly be able to get dsiware games on lite's and phats using flashcarts?

2. NaokiKitsuhine

Member NaokiKitsuhine GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    No because DSi Games are made for DSi and not DSL

3. GhostToast

Member GhostToast GBAtemp Regular

United States
    it will never work.

4. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    DSi has more memory, faster processor, 2 cameras and an SD card slot.

You would probably have to emulate it, and emulation on a previous system = fail.

5. EliteKill

Member EliteKill GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Most DSiWare title probably won't use any resources the DSi has over the DSL and Phat. If a team manages to run a DSiWare on a DSL/Phat flashcart, it will be amazing.

6. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    YES i managed that in my dreams~!
    i guess you can do that as well

7. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Not possible and never will be. This has been asked hundreds of times. DSiWare runs off of the DSi Firmware like an Operating system so it would be impossible for the DS Phat or Lite to ever run them.

8. EliteKill

Member EliteKill GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There might be a way. If some dumper/hacker manages to get the DSiWare as a NDS file, it will be playable on all flashcarts (technically).

Actually, it makes sense that DSiWare is composed of NDS files because Nintendo already made a hardware that can read it...

So what I'm saying is that it might be done if dumped especially for that purpose.

9. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    No, there is no way. The DSi and DS are far to different. When a DS loads a game, it clears all memory and the game itself runs on its own. Basically the game acts like the Operating System and has to handle everything including ahrdware support, wifi, touch screen detection and so on. With the DSi and DSi games and DSiWare, the apps get loaded on top of the DSi Firmware. The Firmware acts like an operating system while the DSiWare runs off it. Its like running a pogram off Windows XP. So it would be impossible for a DSiWare to un by itself and requires the DSi firmware to load it.

Before you ask, no, its not possible for the DS Lite or Phat to emulate the DSi and no its not possible to hack the DS Lite or Phat to run the DSi firmware. The DS firmware is only 256 Kilobytes while the DSi firmware has 10 megabytes of on bioard memory it can use. Its simply not possible.