ROM Hack Emulation DS VC Games won't double resolution

Tur7L3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So, been, trying to double the resolution on two eShop DS games (testing with 64 DS and Mario Hoops 3-on-3). Looked for the file with FTPiiU once installed and changed the required value from 1 to 2. Also should note that I changed the brightness of emulation (default is 80, changed to 100). However, the resolution just won't change a bit in neither of the games, although the brightness part DID work. Even took some screenshots, both 3D games, looking the literal same after the editing (USA Regions btw)

trogdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some games, they ignore that part of the ini entirely so you can’t double the resolution on there. The way to do it would be injecting the ROM’s for those titles into a base that the resolution doubling works for. The bases I’ve used successfully for this were New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart DS

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, been, trying to double the resolution on two eShop DS games (testing with 64 DS and Mario Hoops 3-on-3). Looked for the file with FTPiiU once installed and changed the required value from 1 to 2. Also should note that I changed the brightness of emulation (default is 80, changed to 100). However, the resolution just won't change a bit in neither of the games, although the brightness part DID work. Even took some screenshots, both 3D games, looking the literal same after the editing (USA Regions btw)
You're not going to have a great time with SM64 - the official VC copy disables the RenderScale function because the emulator struggles to maintain the framerate at double resolution. If you really want to use it, you will need to inject an SM64 rom into a different DS VC game.

We've been discussing some improvements to SM64 over here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/super-m...ra-rotation-with-right-analogue-stick.605122/

Last edited by emcintosh,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I haven't checked all of these games, but I do know that Wario: Master of Disguise was the last VC game released with RenderScale support, so the games that most likely support RenderScale are the following Nintendo DS VC titles up to and including Wario: Master of Disguise:
  • Big Brain Academy
  • WarioWare: Touched
  • Yoshi's Island DS
  • Mario Kart DS
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day (aka Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training)
  • Yoshi Touch & Go
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
  • Star Fox Command
  • Kirby Squeak Squad
  • DK: Jungle Climber
  • Wario: Master of Disguise
If you're looking to use RenderScale, you should start by injecting into one of these titles. Note: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon released six weeks before Wario, but does not support RenderScale.

It's a bit ironic, but personally I mostly use the RenderScale option for 2D games, because it causes slowdown in most 3D games. Using it on 2D games doesn't look as striking (although it improves things like sprite scaling and rotation), but it makes them look a bit sharper even when using the bilinear filter, because you're basically working with a 2x prescale.

Reactions: trogdon

trogdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we are talking about renderscale doubling, does it crash for anyone else when exiting the game using the menu? I can’t get back to the regular Wii U menu without a hard reset. It’s pretty easy to just save state and shut off instead but I was just curious if anyone else encountered this.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Since we are talking about renderscale doubling, does it crash for anyone else when exiting the game using the menu? I can’t get back to the regular Wii U menu without a hard reset. It’s pretty easy to just save state and shut off instead but I was just curious if anyone else encountered this.

Yep, happens to everybody. DS VC seems pretty temperamental, you can make it hang on exit if you look at it wrong.

Reactions: Tur7L3 and trogdon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: i heard a buzzing sound from a flying cockroach and ran away