Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

KIlly728

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a DSi with the most recent release of both Unlaunch and Twilight Menu ++ (As of yesterday). The DSi came with Unlaunch on it, and though it was the current edition, I did run the updater just in case.

Two Questions relating to what Unlaunch can boot.

- Question: I wanted to run my Gamecard slot off an Unlaunch Hotkey, but it is inconsistent with my games. Is there a way to reliably boot my games without running into issues? (Information below)

From Unlaunch, launching the main cartridge launcher is a gamble on whether or not an error occurs. The main cartridge launcher (which takes the name of the cart) can hang on a black screen (Crafting Mama, Pokemon Heart Gold, Kirby Mass Attack, LoZ Spirit Tracks, Pokemon White), boot without sound (Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem), or run without any problems (Pokemon Blue Rescue Team, Brain Age, a few others).

When I try to boot the gamecards from Slot-1 Launcher (from the Twilight Menu directory), a similar gamble.
The game and/or game audio is slowed down (Crafting Mama, Super ScibbleNauts), I get a white screen (Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem, Kirby Mass Attack, Pokemon White), or the game runs just fine (Pokemon Heart Gold, Brain Age, Pokemon Blue Rescue Team, a few other games).

The Gamecard slot and all game carts tested are in working order as all games play through the Default DSi Menu without error. So I assume it's some compatibility issue unless there is an issue with my Unlaunch or Twilight Menu install.

-Question: Can I add ROMs to the Unlaunch Hotkeys, or do I always have to go through the Twilight Menu to access the emulators?

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the dsi launcher was reverse-engineered well enough to allow properly booting cards from homebrew yet. so both unlaunch and twilightmenu don't quite know how to properly set up cartridges for booting, compared to what the dsi launcher does. some games work fine, some don't, and most flashcarts just fail

unlaunch can only run dsi code from the file menu, excluding cartridge roms. so you can run system apps, and you can run homebrew files. for ds roms you can make forwarders, and you might be able to run those forwarders through unlaunch file menu/boot hotkey instead of running them from dsi launcher, and in theory it should run the game through nds bootstrap just the same

https://github.com/RocketRobz/NTR_Forwarder/releases
https://github.com/lifehackerhansol/NDSForwarder-DSi/releases

for emulators, I guess you could make it work if a forwarder was used, but I don't think anything like this exists at the moment. in theory there is no reason that wouldnt work though. it would just be a simple dsi homebrew that does nothing except pass the filename of a game over to the emulator and then run the emulator

Reactions: KIlly728

KIlly728

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the dsi launcher was reverse-engineered well enough to allow properly booting cards from homebrew yet. so both unlaunch and twilightmenu don't quite know how to properly set up cartridges for booting, compared to what the dsi launcher does. some games work fine, some don't, and most flashcarts just fail

That makes sense. darn.

unlaunch can only run dsi code from the file menu, excluding cartridge roms. so you can run system apps, and you can run homebrew files. for ds roms you can make forwarders, and you might be able to run those forwarders through unlaunch file menu/boot hotkey instead of running them from dsi launcher, and in theory it should run the game through nds bootstrap just the same

https://github.com/RocketRobz/NTR_Forwarder/releases
https://github.com/lifehackerhansol/NDSForwarder-DSi/releases

Brilliant! Exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know such a thing existed.

And if anyone stumbles across this, setting a game to the Hotkey Y will always bring up the ntr-forwarder config. A, B, and X work just fine.

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could probably change it in the code so that config uses a different button instead of Y, then you would be able to use Y hotkey without automatically bringing up the menu

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
So i'm getting a blank screen whenever I try to play the eng translation of Chou Soujuu Mecha MG, the original ROM runs fine on my iEDGE so I dunno what's wrong with the patch. Never had this issue with any of the other eng translated games that use xDelta before either.

• Sad
Reactions: radicaleinward

I_am_a_rock

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

Changing language on a DSi XL cartridge via R4i???​

I'm wondering if anyone here knows if it would be possible to access a DSi cartridge and manually switch the files regarding the language of the game from one language to another. The game in question is Pokemon White 2 (German). So far I think it might be possible with a R4i dongle and access to files for the english translation of the game but I wanted to ask here in case anyone knows a better way or has experience in translating cartridges.

What do you think?

xperiax2050

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Since there's already one for the 3DS, I thought why not make one for the DS(i) as well?
With the recent rise of the DSi scene with users using Unlaunch, hiyaCFW, and TWiLight Menu++ with nds-bootstrap, it's about time there's a noob paradise for the DS(i).

Basically, this thread was made so that hopefully this subforum won't get clogged with the same question(s). :P

If you need help urgently or you aren't getting your question answered here, you can also try asking in those servers below.

DS⁽ⁱ⁾ Mode Hacking! Discord server: https://discord.gg/yD3spjv

Links to the dsi.cfw.guide and DS-Homebrew Wiki FAQs:

Common FAQs

Q:
How do I update Unlaunch?
A: Download the latest one here: https://problemkaputt.de/unlaunch.htm, and extract "unlaunch.dsi" to the SD root.

If you're on 1.8 or later:
Power on your DSi console, then select "UNLAUNCH".
After selecting it, select "INSTALL NOW".
You should now be on the latest version.

If you're on 1.7 or below:
Extract "unlaunch.dsi" to the SD root.
Rename your existing "bootcode.dsi" file to "hiya.dsi" (if using hiyaCFW), then rename "unlaunch.dsi" to "bootcode.dsi".
Put your SD card in the DSi console, then power it on.
If you see an "INSTALL NOW" option, select it.
You should now be on the latest version.

Q: How do I uninstall Unlaunch?
A: Follow this guide: https://dsi.cfw.guide/uninstalling-unlaunch.html
hey rocket robz i posted a thread in gbatemp and i write in it that i need help to fix the problem of wfc you know it's imited with only wep so can you and your friends create a software that makes nds games work with only wpa2 please i really wanna play mario kart ds online btw i have black dsi

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

uranium334

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
is there anyway to get more rows of games like on 3ds or will it be added in the future? The 3DS theme would be pretty complete if this was possible 🙏

Razzee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can I use this product to clean the screen?

In the image it does not look like it, but it is dirty. Just bought the console.

talosfriend

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i need help with my r4 card, i tried every kernel but didn't find soluction at moment...

Attachments

• r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • erro r4.jpg
    erro r4.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Barbie meet MJ +1