Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Last I recall, I was able to get NTR games to work from NTR Launcher booted from sudokuhax. Now this version of Sudokuhax had it's header modified though. I did not enable bit31 though, so aside from cartridge stuff, NTR games could in theory work. But their audio and touch screen will be fudged up. (because the mode switch can't happen like it should) It's the memory layout settings of arm9 SCFG_EXT that prevents them from booting at all and that is able to be changed from Sudokuhax. So maybe you could get rom loading working from Sudokuhax on a DSi. But the games would be somewhat broken. :P

You'd have to do what ever Cyclo iEvolution did to make NTR games run in TWL mode. They probably did the same thing by altering SCFG_EXT on arm9 and then patching games to use TWL SWI functions correctly so the audio isn't fudged up and to fix touchscreen controls.

This is before you even have to start worrying about getting them patched to run off SD. :P

If you want to try to see how NTR games currently behave from sudokuhax, get the new ntr mode switching hbmenu and use it as boot.nds of sudokuhax. Then launch a DS Download Play demo. The game should still boot. Audio/Touchscreen will be non functional. Audio will work partially with some garbled sounds/missing music notes. But touchscreen will be completely useless. Currently the only app on a DSi that has bit31 unlocked on 0x1b8 it's header and therefore has full arm7 SCFG_EXT access is Retail Launcher. So you'd have to exploit Retail Launcher or something before it (like boot2 or bootrom) to gain an environment where you can properly mode switch and launch NTR games from slot-1 and eventually from SD.

Well I found this page which seems to have some info on the checks Apache Thunder mentioned.
https://gist.github.com/Steveice10/08e75915d9993ec4efe2
I wasn't expecting this to work, but I went to the digest sector table offsets specified on the github page and 0'd them out in the rom, and it no longer boots in an emulator. So something else must need to be edited.

Maybe. Certain offsets in the header always points to the same locations in the arm9 binary (and arm9i binary for TWL sections). So what you need to patch out might at least be located in the same place. Hard to say until some one looks into it.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I have a question.

Would any of the research here serve to do any advancement on actual DSi hacking? It's kinda sad to see the successor's backwards compatibility mode being hacked while the original console is pretty much unbroken xD

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have a question.

Would any of the research here serve to do any advancement on actual DSi hacking? It's kinda sad to see the successor's backwards compatibility mode being hacked while the original console is pretty much unbroken xD
well there nand hardmods

ecaep42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question.

It might, but TWL was modified to work on the 3DS only and stuff here is only being tested on a 3DS, no DSi hacking advancements here.

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Thank you to provide me a window launch!! :)
This is promising as Hell, and I'm really curious to see how you guys will handle such a hard project!!! I hope we will have some words to explain if it was really sick and stuff like that xD

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've been following this thread pretty closely and... is there a reason people think non-homebrew is coming soon? My understanding is that the progress that has been made with homebrew software was only possible because we have the source.

Have there been developments that I missed? Because, while I mean no offense to the people working very hard and doing a great job, it doesn't seem like we're any closer to launching cartridge games from SD than we were a few weeks ago.

It's entirely possible that I misunderstood something, though.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been following this thread pretty closely and... is there a reason people think non-homebrew is coming soon? My understanding is that the progress that has been made with homebrew software was only possible because we have the source.

Have there been developments that I missed? Because, while I mean no offense to the people working very hard and doing a great job, it doesn't seem like we're any closer to launching cartridge games from SD than we were a few weeks ago.

It's entirely possible that I misunderstood something, though.
@Apache Thunder said so himself. :)

We can now switch from TWL mode to NTR mode with SD access preserved, no patches to TWL_FIRM needed. That's how my recent forwarder templates work.

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Apache Thunder said so himself. :)

We can now switch from TWL mode to NTR mode with SD access preserved, no patches to TWL_FIRM needed. That's how my recent forwarder templates work.

Ah, I must have missed him saying so. He would know better than me.

Out of curiosity, though, why is that such a leap forward? Switching between TWL and NTR so we don't need a patched TWL_FIRM is nice, but it still seems like the largest barrier (i/o patching) is unaffected.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I must have missed him saying so. He would know better than me.

Out of curiosity, though, why is that such a leap forward? Switching between TWL and NTR so we don't need a patched TWL_FIRM is nice, but it still seems like the largest barrier (i/o patching) is unaffected.
For flashcards, their ROM loaders patches the ROMs to read from it's microSD card slot instead of the Slot-1 card's ROM chip (in this case, the ROM in the chip starts up your flashcard).
When using a ROM loader like hbmenu, the ROMs aren't patched, so the ROM attempts to read the Slot-1 card's ROM chip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back