Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For flashcards, their ROM loaders patches the ROMs to read from it's microSD card slot instead of the Slot-1 card's ROM chip (in this case, the ROM in the chip starts up your flashcard).
When using a ROM loader like hbmenu, the ROMs aren't patched, so the ROM attempts to read the Slot-1 card's ROM chip.

I agree, this is the problem, but I don't know what has been done to make progress solving it.

I know that there's been talk of studying how flashcarts do it in order to recreate that but I don't know if anyone's working on it.

(I feel like I sound like I'm complaining. I'm not at all, people are doing excellent work and making incredible things happen! I'm only asking questions because it's fascinating to me and I want to understand more :D)

Reactions: astronautlevel

Billy Acuña

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I agree, this is the problem, but I don't know what has been done to make progress solving it.

I know that there's been talk of studying how flashcarts do it in order to recreate that but I don't know if anyone's working on it.

(I feel like I sound like I'm complaining. I'm not at all, people are doing excellent work and making incredible things happen! I'm only asking questions because it's fascinating to me and I want to understand more :D)
The main discover was that NTR mode now knows what is a "SD" and can fetch data from there (look for "Wood3DS" on YT for more details).

Reactions: Gray_Jack

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question.

Would any of the research here serve to do any advancement on actual DSi hacking? It's kinda sad to see the successor's backwards compatibility mode being hacked while the original console is pretty much unbroken xD
Most of what's been done here so far is only possible because of CFW. As far as I know, there's no usable exploits for CFW on the DSi. (A bootloader exploit like A9LH would be the best one, but good luck finding one.)

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

~Poke~

Trophies
XP
Country
For flashcards, their ROM loaders patches the ROMs to read from it's microSD card slot instead of the Slot-1 card's ROM chip (in this case, the ROM in the chip starts up your flashcard).
When using a ROM loader like hbmenu, the ROMs aren't patched, so the ROM attempts to read the Slot-1 card's ROM chip.
I don't know too much about this so feel free to just say "no" but... do flashcarts actually patch like this? I would've expected the ROM to try read from slot1 as usual, and since the flashcart is there it can redirect the read when it happens.
Maybe that sounds effectively the same, but it would rely on the flashcart sitting there in slot1 which is not what we want :P

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know too much about this so feel free to just say "no" but... do flashcarts actually patch like this? I would've expected the ROM to try read from slot1 as usual, and since the flashcart is there it can redirect the read when it happens.
Maybe that sounds effectively the same, but it would rely on the flashcart sitting there in slot1 which is not what we want :P
flashcards have to point to the rom itself and the save file stored on the sd card in most cases.

D

Deleted User

Maybe. Certain offsets in the header always points to the same locations in the arm9 binary (and arm9i binary for TWL sections). So what you need to patch out might at least be located in the same place. Hard to say until some one looks into it.
Hmm, well I guess I just have to hope someone skilled with this stuff looks into it.
Thanks for the info!

D

Deleted User

@Azheard to the rescue. If he figured out how to unlock sd init. I'm sure that shouldn't be a challange. He's a clever dude.
@ahezard you mean :P
Yeah that's exactly who I had in mind when i said that but I don't really want to bother him since he's already done so much with the twl firm stuff

Reactions: Shah Isah

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
How is this even possible at all? o.O
Iirc, this ctrQuake was based on vitaQuake. The reason why it is compatible is because vitaQuake is compatible with all Quake and ProQuake servers.
It's not really cross-play with vita especifically. It works with any Quake or ProQuake-compatible client/server.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x using Tapatalk

Reactions: AtlasFontaine

Stoned

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
doesnt work
NTR = White screen
TWL = Application Halted!

Hmm How Can i Use this?
I have Put it on my Flashcard and Start it. it give me Text
When i only must Have it on SD And Start a Game. It works than too!

Or What must i do whit this?
Sorry i´m a Noob in Ds/Dsi shit. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof