Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

ahezard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
ARM9 speed in 3DS is 133mhz, like in dsi. There is already the possibility to use this enhanced speed (arm9 ds speed is 66 mhz) in normal ds games via Nitrohax & NTRLauncher and forwarders and this can enhance the experience in some cases. If I am able to achieve a rom loader this will be included for sure. ARM11 speed is completely off topic, there is no way to leverage that.

Shah Isah

Trophies
XP
Country
So. What's the progress? How far are we from loading NTR roms on the 3ds?

Also. Will it work on o3ds? This question has been bugging me...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

only 1

one devloper is doing it though
Correction. Two. ApacheThunder is also on the scene.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

We are close, but not close at the same time. We don't know if it is possible to universally redirect all slot 1 reads/writes to sd. It will work on o3ds if it does happen because its not emulation

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Correction. Two. ApacheThunder is also on the scene.

Yeah, basically what @undergroundmonorail said.
DS games have hardcoded reads to slot-1 whenever it loads its assets. Technically, you can convert a DS game to a CIA. This is what will happen:
-Load the code from the CIA.
-The code says to get its assets (things like graphics) from slot-1.
-There's nothing in slot-1. The code reacts like this:

(It crashes)
However, in our new expanded NTR mode we have DSi hardware access without breaking DS mode games. (TWL mode would normally break a DS game if you forced it to launch from it) All that's left for DS games off SD card is for devs to write an app that runs in a separate thread on the DSi mode hardware (while the game, of course, runs on the DS mode hardware) and patch out calls to slot-1 to the SD card. Obviously, this won't be easy at all, but it's doable.
I hope thos answered any questions you had, @AntnioMoura ;)

It should work fine on o3ds, it has the same DSi mode hardware that we have access to in expanded NTR mode.
Also, just put @hacksn5s4 on your ignore list. I wrote a detailed post a while back on why he should be locked from this thread (tl;dr he's trashing it) and it got ignored by mods.

Last edited by Swiftloke,

Shah Isah

Trophies
XP
Country
It should work fine on o3ds, it has the same DSi mode hardware that we have access to in expanded NTR mode.
Also, just put @hacksn5s4 on your ignore list. I wrote a detailed post a while back on why he should be locked from this thread (tl;dr he's trashing it) and it got ignored by mods.
Is there no way to ban him? Everytime I stumble across his posts, my head goes like that video. @hacksn5s4 if you're reading this. Just stop what you're doing because it's not helping. If you want to play this so called "dscraft"...Get yourself an NDS and an r4 flashcard and play it that way. It's not rocket science. And it saves all of the users heads of this thread from exploding!

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there no way to ban him? Everytime I stumble across his posts, my head goes like that video. @hacksn5s4 if you're reading this. Just stop what you're doing because it's not helping. If you want to play this so called "dscraft"...Get yourself an NDS and an r4 flashcard and play it that way. It's not rocket science. And it saves all of the users heads of this thread from exploding!
and you should also learn to ignore posts you do not like every on has their own opion on things if you do not like it ignore also it sucks this site does not let you delete your own posts some times i don't realize i asked the same thing over again and i cannot delete it like they should add that so if people hate my post i can get rid of it

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
and you should also learn to ignore posts you do not like every on has their own opion on things if you do not like it ignore also it sucks this site does not let you delete your own posts some times i don't realize i asked the same thing over again and i cannot delete it like they should add that so if people hate my post i can get rid of it
Mate... if you're afraid you're going to say the same thing over again, just log off, don't post.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not to get Rude but People like you who know they're in teh wrong that Shit post in threads like these is what get's em closed, why not just sit back and Watch /read as things are discovered/posted. when rom loading is achieved you'll know it. and drop the unrealistic "Hope"/Expectation that its done in a month or 2, we're likely going to not even see it till some time next year at the verry least. Yes only 2 devs are working on this "IN THIER FREE TIME."

Billy Acuña

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
not to get Rude but People like you who know they're in teh wrong that Shit post in threads like these is what get's em closed, why not just sit back and Watch /read as things are discovered/posted. when rom loading is achieved you'll know it. and drop the unrealistic "Hope"/Expectation that its done in a month or 2, we're likely going to not even see it till some time next year at the verry least. Yes only 2 devs are working on this "IN THIER FREE TIME."
4 if you count @Robz8 and @Shutterbug200.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 if you count @Robz8 and @Shutterbug200.
even then ungreatfull lil shits like the "Person" who Keeps dragging this thread down don't realize just because they have no life or a shit Job or no family. that these Devs don't and do this as a Hobby and not a Job. the only way anyone here have Any sort of a resemblance of a "Right" to demand more progress is if they were paying them enough to Make it thier Job.

with that said i'm grateful to @Apache Thunder on his Stage 3 launchers that came outta this research or otherwise my R4i Gold 3DS card would be still taking a Dirt Nap.

Last edited by Dracari,

Shah Isah

Trophies
XP
Country
@Billy Acuña You're the OP. Take action. I say block him till it's confirmed that roms load. That way we'll see less of him and he can't shitpost and trash the development discussion..

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your phone has a browser yes? You can do it from there. ;)
I was to lazy to do that, but ready, hope this could stop his shitposting.
I looked. Unfortunately, you can't lock users from your threads. It seems only mods can do that :unsure:
On-topic:

ARM9 speed in 3DS is 133mhz, like in dsi. There is already the possibility to use this enhanced speed (arm9 ds speed is 66 mhz) in normal ds games via Nitrohax & NTRLauncher and forwarders and this can enhance the experience in some cases. If I am able to achieve a rom loader this will be included for sure. ARM11 speed is completely off topic, there is no way to leverage that.
How could this enhance the experience? Wouldn't it crash games because they would never expect that? And if not, wouldn't the games run faster, making them worse off?

ahezard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If a game does not reach perfect 60 fps framerate due to CPU limitation this could help, for sure it could also crash other games but this is not so common it seems. This is why the cpu boost option is not the default in NitroHax/NTRLauncher, you have to press a button. I encourage you to test with the physical games you have or your ds flashcart.

~Poke~

Trophies
XP
Country
How could this enhance the experience? Wouldn't it crash games because they would never expect that? And if not, wouldn't the games run faster, making them worse off?
I think it depends really. A lot of old Dos/Amiga games relied on the cpu being the exact speed they expected, and would run at 1000x speed if you booted them natively with a modern cpu. But any modern PC game can account for different speeds since it runs based on system time or framerate.
I think most 3ds games don't rely on the cpu speed, since new3ds speeds through HANS don't break them. Maybe some DS games do rely on it, but it still sounds rare so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk