Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't get a satisfactory answer on Google, so I'm going to ask:

What version of roms should I get Decrypted or Encrypted ? For NDS and DSi. (Not 3ds if that matters)
It does not matter, but if you use a flashcard, and if you're not using nds-bootstrap as a game loader, it might be better to use decrypted.
What is the different use case scenario for each romset?.
I do not know.
Is there a difference in using one or the other on a Fashcard (with twlmenu) versus nds-bootstrap?.
Should be no difference.
Are they also related to AP?.
No, they aren't.
And one additional question: it is better to play DSi-enhanced games and Dsiware games on a flash card (DSTWO) or better on NDS-bootstrap.

THANK YOU
It is better to play them on nds-bootstrap in DSi mode.
On DS flashcards,
  • DSi-Enhanced games will only run in DS mode, so the DSi features wouldn't be used.
  • DSiWare games can only be launched with TWiLight Menu++ installed on your flashcard, in order to boot them using nds-bootstrap.
    As the DSiWare also run in DS mode, not every game will work, and a few will require a Memory Expansion Pak.

Reactions: one-piece

one-piece

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It is better to play them on nds-bootstrap in DSi mode.
On DS flashcards,
  • DSi-Enhanced games will only run in DS mode, so the DSi features wouldn't be used.
  • DSiWare games can only be launched with TWiLight Menu++ installed on your flashcard, in order to boot them using nds-bootstrap.
    As the DSiWare also run in DS mode, not every game will work, and a few will require a Memory Expansion Pak.
Currently my setup is booting to the DSi Sd TwlMenu, then i swap the file explorer (dsi theme) to the flashcard twlmenu to select the games, (so the games are on the flashcard sd). To get better compatibility, should I put Dsiware and enhanced games on the Dsi part of twlmenu and boot them there? Currently I have my games structured in folders by series, so i will have to split my games (DSi Sd/ Flashcard Sd) or Is there a way to get all games to be displayed in the menu and manually select how to launch them?.
Amazing responde, and Thanks you very much and i know is a weird question to ask

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently my setup is booting to the DSi Sd TwlMenu, then i swap the file explorer (dsi theme) to the flashcard twlmenu to select the games, (so the games are on the flashcard sd). To get better compatibility, should I put Dsiware and enhanced games on the Dsi part of twlmenu and boot them there? Currently I have my games structured in folders by series, so i will have to split my games (DSi Sd/ Flashcard Sd) or Is there a way to get all games to be displayed in the menu and manually select how to launch them?.
Amazing responde, and Thanks you very much and i know is a weird question to ask
You can keep the DSi-Enhanced & DSiWare games on the flashcard, if you want. If you have the SCFG Slot-1 setting enabled in TWLMenu++ Settings, or if the Slot-1 microSD access setting is enabled along with using an R4(i) Ultra flashcard, you'll be able to run those games in DSi mode from your flashcard.
By default, for DSiWare, launching one will have it's ROM and save data get copied to a temporary location on the SD card, in order to maintain compatibility. When returning to TWLMenu++, the save data will get copied back to your flashcard.

Currently, there is no way to display games from both the SD and flashcard in one page.

Reactions: one-piece

Trip_Away

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Question:
I teleported bread.
Twilightmenu++ had troubles when you use DS games can connect with Wii like Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum with My Pokemon Ranch or Pokemon Battle Revolution in 3DS?
I tried to connect my save of Pokemonm Diamond in my 3DS save to My Pokemon Ranch and every time i had error.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question:
I teleported bread.
Twilightmenu++ had troubles when you use DS games can connect with Wii like Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum with My Pokemon Ranch or Pokemon Battle Revolution in 3DS?
I tried to connect my save of Pokemonm Diamond in my 3DS save to My Pokemon Ranch and every time i had error.
It is a known issue with no known fix available.

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there a fix somewhere for Pokemon "Refined Gold Overhaul"? The game randomly freezes with a black screen, after entering battle. I'M on the latest Twillightmenu version.

v26.1.0

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the translation patches for the DS SaGa remakes known problems in Twilightmenu or am I doing something dumb? They work fine in emulators.
Do the original untranslated ROMs work?
Post automatically merged:

v26.1.0
Includes nds-bootstrap v1.0.0 (GBATemp thread)

What's new?​

• @DeadSkullzJr: Updated AP-fix for Pokémon: Refined Gold Overhaul to v2.0.
  • Box art / Game cover display now supports transparency!
    • Useful for if you want to use game logos in the 3DS theme instead of game covers.
  • Removed broken AP-fix for Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, as nds-bootstrap now properly handles the patching.
  • Added ESRB ratings for
    • Asphalt Urban GT
    • Asphalt Urban GT 2
    • Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled

Improvement​

• Various: Updated translations.

Bug fixes​

• Fixed wrong placement of wireless icon(s) in DS Classic Menu.
  • Fixed a long-standing bug where a DSiWare title that doesn't use save data would get moved to the saves folder when re-opening TWLMenu++.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Very,very awesome Work.😮❤️👍
Thank you very much.

Also thank you for the interesting Report for "Golden Sun".
(Posted it so you all MUST read this historical Piece of Work.🤣❤️😉)

How is Golden Sun: Dark Dawn working now? What has been done?​

NOTE: This is a lengthy read. If you don't want to know the full specifics, scroll down to In short.

For the longest time since nds-bootstrap's first release supporting retail/commercial games, one of those games has never worked, despite the many compatibility fixes implemented throughout each later release.
That game is Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. When trying to boot it, it would only show two black screens.

The reason for that, is due to an AP measure in the game itself, and the AP-fix included with TWiLight Menu++ has unfortunately never patched it out, despite it being known to work with flashcards.
You might be wondering, but then how does the demo version boot sucessfully? It simply didn't include any AP measures.

After a long wait, and gaining a little bit of ARM ASM knowledge from playing around with it and getting DSiWare games working on DS/DS Lite, I've decided to implement a new AP-fix for Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, with some help from Gericom (the GBARunner2/3 developer) and the NO$GBA debugging emulator.

The first AP measure takes place in overlay 335, which contains DSProtect v2.01s.
By comparing what happens in the game's code with and without nds-bootstrap, I was able to patch the overlay to reproduce what occurs without nds-bootstrap.
As a result, the game now boots into the company logos and the title screen.
From there, the name entry menu would appear, and after entering the name, the company logos would then appear again, and after fading out, the game crashes.

The next step was to patch overlay 334, which contains DSProtect v2.01 (with no s at the end, and works differently from the other one).
After applying the patch, as well as a new checksum for the overlay, the game no longer crashes, and the title screen appears once again.

To make the company logos and title screen not appear again after entering the character's name, the next step was to make the patch for overlay 334 return the proper value the game expects (which is 0x11F).
As a result, the game's opening cutscene now plays. Unfortunately, after it has played, the game once again goes back to the company logos and title screen.
To fix that, the patch for overlay 334 has been made to only return the 0x11F after name entry, and the game's first cutscene after the opening one now plays.

After going through the dialog boxes, the game's main protagonist can now be moved in the overworld, right? Well, sort of.
The overworld is nothing but a black screen and a few icons at the screen corners.
The protagonist can be moved to the right for him to appear, and the background of Haidhia Lookout will shift in close to him as a flat texture.
Touching the bottom-left icon (or pressing the X button) will open the main menu, and can be navigated normally, but when exiting the menu, a battle against Dim Dragon will trigger.
The battle gets triggered because there's still an instance of the overlay 334 checksum which hasn't been patched with the new one.
Patching the checksum instances found in the USA ROM has not removed the battle encounter, but it has been sucessfully removed in the European ROM.
Apparently, some checksum instances are encrypted along with the overlay's code.
To remove the battle encounter in the USA ROM, the patch code has been made so that it looks for an instance of the checksum, once an overlay has loaded.

Furthermore, when I tried a save file which gets past the black area, some features wouldn't work correctly, such as using Psynergy.
It would only work when one is assigned to either the L or R buttons.
Getting an item would also either appear as the wrong one, or crash the game.

The final step is to fix those remaining AP issues, and to do that, the patch code has been slightly reworked to not affect the checksum, but that alone will not fix it.
After some more looking into and patching, the patch code for overlay 335 has been ported over to 334.

For those who understand ASM code, here's what nds-bootstrap does to the overlay code (offsets are for the USA/AUS region, but the patch works with other regions):

Overlay 335 (DSProtect v2.01s)

1. At 0x021F8284, change the beq instruction (0A000005) to b.
  2. At 0x021F82D8, change the ldr instruction (E59D1028) to mov r1, 0h.
  3. At 0x021F82DC, change the ldr instruction (E59D0040) to mov r0, 0h.
  4. Change instructions at 021F82E4 & 021F82E8 to nop.

Overlay 334 (DSProtect v2.01)

1. At 0x021F910C, change the beq instruction (0A00000E) to b.
  2. At 0x021F91A8, change the ldr instruction (E59D102C) to mov r1, 0h.
  3. At 0x021F91AC, change the ldr instruction (E59D0044) to mov r0, 0h.
  4. Change instructions at 021F91B4 & 021F91B8 to nop.

After all of this looking into and fixing/patching, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is finally supported by nds-bootstrap!

In short​

The AP-fix that has been included with TWLMenu++ for a while was broken, so a new & better AP-fix has been implemented into nds-bootstrap. It has taken 8 days with lots of changes & improvements to the code to ensure that everything was working properly.

Great work @RocketRobz and @Gericom .❤️👍

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Two days before my Birthday and I get the best present I could have wished for. I finally can play Golden Sun Dark Dawn. Thank you so so much @RocketRobz and @Gericom and good luck to my boyfriend in getting me a better present than this :rofl2:

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Two days before my Birthday and I get the best present I could have wished for. I finally can play Golden Sun Dark Dawn. Thank you so so much @RocketRobz and @Gericom and good luck to my boyfriend in getting me a better present than this :rofl2:

I mean finding enough candles for your age is hard enough, you want a present too. how rude.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I thought this was MY birthday present! (My birthday is also just around the corner :rofl: )

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do the original untranslated ROMs work?
Post automatically merged:

v26.1.0
Includes nds-bootstrap v1.0.0 (GBATemp thread)

What's new?​

• @DeadSkullzJr: Updated AP-fix for Pokémon: Refined Gold Overhaul to v2.0.
  • Box art / Game cover display now supports transparency!
    • Useful for if you want to use game logos in the 3DS theme instead of game covers.
  • Removed broken AP-fix for Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, as nds-bootstrap now properly handles the patching.
  • Added ESRB ratings for
    • Asphalt Urban GT
    • Asphalt Urban GT 2
    • Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled

Improvement​

• Various: Updated translations.

Bug fixes​

• Fixed wrong placement of wireless icon(s) in DS Classic Menu.
  • Fixed a long-standing bug where a DSiWare title that doesn't use save data would get moved to the saves folder when re-opening TWLMenu++.
Thanks RocketRobz for your amazing works!

haoye

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The Chinese version of "Super Mario 64ds" I played cannot read the archive in Sav format after Twilight update 😢 I hope to fix it in the next version (I don't know English, so I used goole translation)

Reactions: Tarmfot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto