Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
how far are you going to take the level editor? will we be able to make our own original stories, add sound efx, custom skins, graphics, etc? if its just a level making tool, i'll play around with it, but if its something more i would be really interested in trying to write my own story, etc.

i wonder how many others feel that way.

-another world

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
how far are you going to take the level editor? will we be able to make our own original stories, add sound efx, custom skins, graphics, etc? if its just a level making tool, i'll play around with it, but if its something more i would be really interested in trying to write my own story, etc.

i wonder how many others feel that way.

-another world
The level editor will probably strictly limited to making actual levels, however the textures, models etc. are all easily accessible and modifiable.
I'm not sure exactly how the story content will be handled yet, but in all likelihood it will just be a bunch of easy to edit text files (accompanied by sounds and images of course), so it should be easy enough to edit by hand. But again, I'm not sure how it will work yet, so I can't give you a definitive answer. :/

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for the explanation.
I always wondered how the 3D-in-portal worked. Some games have it integrated so well that it seems it's not a simple picture rendered on a surface (ou can place yourself between two area and look around, like in Prey or Portal). I like that effect.

If you open two portals in front of each other you see infinity wall? how many times is it rendered? I'm sure there's a limit to prevent the DS to freeze.

Good luck with this project!

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the explanation.
I always wondered how the 3D-in-portal worked. Some games have it integrated so well that it seems it's not a simple picture rendered on a surface (ou can place yourself between two area and look around, like in Prey or Portal). I like that effect.

If you open two portals in front of each other you see infinity wall? how many times is it rendered? I'm sure there's a limit to prevent the DS to freeze.

Good luck with this project!
Well in my case it's not a "simple picture rendered on a surface" either actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. That couldn't really work because of resolution problems for one thing (and also, I'm pretty sure that getting the projection right would be a huge pain in the ass). As I said, I do everything in post-processing so it looks pretty much as good as it possibly could. :P
Unfortunately though, you can't see a portal through another portal, as that would mean I'd have to render yet another scene and the DS simply can't do that much (actually, you could probably get it done with a software rasterizer, but that would be pushing it :P). So my game will run the same way portal does when you set "portal render depth" to 1.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow I can't believe this! This is just mind bogolingggg.. I've never saw this before. I was chasing over ds-dsi sandbox and now i found this after a year or more. I could imagen this very thing being handled with 3DS mode. I wanna beta test if you want. And I have an outdated 3DS.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
wow I can't believe this! This is just mind bogolingggg.. I've never saw this before. I was chasing over ds-dsi sandbox and now i found this after a year or more. I could imagen this very thing being handled with 3DS mode. I wanna beta test if you want. And I have an outdated 3DS.
No beta testing for now as the game isn't quite far along enough yet. I will need some dedicated testers at some point, but I'll make a small announcement when I do.

Also, *some* progress this weekend. mobile platforms, energy balls, cube dispensers and buttons all work, sort of.
laser2.png

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
RELEASE IT!!!!!!:wacko:
It's not playable yet ! Slowly getting there though. Got a few things working today, including turrets' lasers (which can go through a portal) and cubes activating buttons.

laserportals.png
laserportals2.png
buttoncubes.png

also, energy balls and energy ball launchers/now work (even through portals !).

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
New video ! Quite a bit of new stuff in there, mostly gameplay elements, including energy balls, turret lasers, mobile platforms, pressure plates, cubes dispensers... even the stuff being shown here isn't quite finished yet though, so don't expect too much.

Reactions: nakata6790

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to let everyone know that I've started working on a new level editor which will work like the one in portal 2. This way, making levels will be easier and it'll be possible to make stuff the old editor couldn't.
This also means there probably won't be any new screenshots/videos for a while, because right now, even though it kind of works, it looks like complete crap. :P

edit : just realized i never posted this screenshot here, so even though it's nothing new, here it is :
portaloutline.png

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Some progress on the level editor ! It's not exactly feature-packed yet but most of what's in it actually works pretty well so that's good. It works very similarly to portal 2's community chamber editor, so it's not only very easy to use but it's pretty flexible too.
leveleditor2.png
leveleditor3.png

The only real downside to this is that it means I'm unlikely to ever improve FPS maker's old editor... (which also means I should probably create a new thread just for portal)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over