Homebrew DS FPS Maker

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it does ! I think gruetzkopf from #dsdev might have tested it and if it didn't work I'm sure he'd have let me know. (so basically, I'm not absolutely sure, but it should)

Cool! I'll give it a try later, let you know the outcome.

UPDATE EDIT: Seems both FPSMAKER and ACOTSYE work just fine in Sudokuhax! ACOTSYE runs fast and smooth, I haven't played it off flashcart so don't have any point of comparison.

Assuming your DSCRAFT and Portal projects will work in Sudokuhax too, it's finally looking like I have a use for the exploit beyond playing Quake!

Thank you for your great work on this!

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Cool! I'll give it a try later, let you know the outcome.

UPDATE EDIT: Seems both FPSMAKER and ACOTSYE work just fine in Sudokuhax! ACOTSYE runs fast and smooth, I haven't played it off flashcart so don't have any point of comparison.

Assuming your DSCRAFT and Portal projects will work in Sudokuhax too, it's finally looking like I have a use for the exploit beyond playing Quake!

Thank you for your great work on this!
That's good to hear ! I'm not sure DScraft will work though, it uses a rather different version of libfat to stream worlds and I'm not sure it will be compatible with the DSi's SD card reader.
If FPSM/ACTOSYE run fine though, portal won't have any problems when it does get released.

For fps maker what will you do if you want it to be open world
Not sure what you mean; FPSM definitely isn't made for open world games, so if that's what you want then FPSM probably won't be of much help to you. :/

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
That's good to hear ! I'm not sure DScraft will work though, it uses a rather different version of libfat to stream worlds and I'm not sure it will be compatible with the DSi's SD card reader.
If FPSM/ACTOSYE run fine though, portal won't have any problems when it does get released.
Ya, DScraft goes pretty good in DSi mode. The double-tap jumping is a bit off though.

ThatGuy25

Flutternaut Recon.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a bit of problems getting FPSMaker to work. On No$GBA, the game loads but the area where the tools are is just white boxes. Also, I can't run it on DS.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a bit of problems getting FPSMaker to work. On No$GBA, the game loads but the area where the tools are is just white boxes. Also, I can't run it on DS.
It not running on no$gba is completely normal - no$gba doesn't support dldi/fat emulation and so FPSM can't access the files it needs to work properly. (and even if it could, you wouldn't be able to save your creations) It not running on actual hardware is a bit more troublesome though; can you be a bit more specific about the problem ?

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
I haven't worked on portal as much as I would like during the last two weeks (read : not at all), but I'm slowly getting back to it, so here's a new video showing the progress begin made :

not much in there is actually new, most of the stuff I show in that video is just a refined version of something that already existed. There's still a lot of work to be done, but it's slowly becoming more and more playable. It's also looking like Lobo will be making portal's graphics (for those who don't know him, check out his website : http://www.infectuous.com/ ; I've worked with him many times before this, so I'm confident he'll do an awesome job :D).
It'll most likely be a few months before the finished product is released, but I think things are looking up !

Reactions: Another World

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been lurking in this thread for a while, checking up on it every so often. That last video is effing amazing. The entire time I kept thinking "this is running on a friggin DS. This is running on mere fractions of percentages of my computer's CPU power and RAM, and it's got almost all the core gameplay down pat."

Bravo good sir. Looking forward to your future updates, no matter how long it takes!

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
I've been lurking in this thread for a while, checking up on it every so often. That last video is effing amazing. The entire time I kept thinking "this is running on a friggin DS. This is running on mere fractions of percentages of my computer's CPU power and RAM, and it's got almost all the core gameplay down pat."

Bravo good sir. Looking forward to your future updates, no matter how long it takes!
Thanks ! There's still a lot to work and a lot of it will be tough though, so don't expect too much from the final release. :)

Anyway, lobo has started working on some 3D models and textures for the game and so far it looks fantastic, I'm really excited to be working with him again ! :D

graphics.png

EDIT : some in game tests :

turrets.png
turretcube.png

Reactions: jerbear64

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks ! There's still a lot to work and a lot of it will be tough though, so don't expect too much from the final release. :)

Anyway, lobo has started working on some 3D models and textures for the game and so far it looks fantastic, I'm really excited to be working with him again ! :D

graphics.png

EDIT : some in game tests :

turrets.png
turretcube.png

Nice! Can't wait for a final release.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
what is the plan for this? a full on portal game?

-another world
That's the idea, yes. Basically I want to get all the mechanics from the original Portal in there (so turrets, energy balls, mobile platforms, water, cubes/buttons, emancipation grids...), and then build a short campaign with an original story.
The game will also include an on board level editor (the editor from FPSM, but improved) so players can create and share their own levels. I don't expect a lot of people to actually use it (if anyone :P), but I'll be using the editor to build the campaign so there's no reason not to include it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It already looks really good!

I'm curious how the portal effect is done.
Is it a real 3D map copy appened to the portal location to do the depth effect, or a flat picture of the second portal rendered on portal1 based on the player's position?
(Maybe I don't explain very well)

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
It already looks really good!

I'm curious how the portal effect is done.
Is it a real 3D map copy appened to the portal location to do the depth effect, or a flat picture of the second portal rendered on portal1 based on the player's position?
(Maybe I don't explain very well)
Your first solution couldn't work as for example, if you had a portal on a pillar, you couldn't just render the second part of the map within the pillar without having conflicts everywhere.
So the way I do it is I render the warped scene separately after doing the appropriate transformations. Once I have that scene (which I can render off screen thanks to a nifty feature of the DS), I copy it into the player's view with a bit of post processing. (getting this to work within an acceptable timeframe was actually a lot more of a pain than it sounds)
Sorry for the lack of detail, but it's not a very easy thing to explain. :P

Completely unrelated : new model from lobo, the energy ball catcher thing from the original Portal :
energyballcatcher.png

Reactions: Cyan

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nifty. So, now I'm wondering, how will the controls work?
I mean, you need two buttons to shoot, and then a button for use.. Would it work to have switch portals/use buttons in corners of the touch screen or something?

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Very nifty. So, now I'm wondering, how will the controls work?
I mean, you need two buttons to shoot, and then a button for use.. Would it work to have switch portals/use buttons in corners of the touch screen or something?
I'm not sure yet as the current control scheme has all sorts of debug functions assigned to buttons, so I can't say anything definitive right now, but I'm leaning towards the use button being on the touchscreen and switching between portals on the touchscreen as well... that still leaves the gravity gun though (the touchscreen "use" button probably wouldn't be very comfortable for that, and double tapping is taken up for jumping already so...), so I'm not sure at this point.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure yet as the current control scheme has all sorts of debug functions assigned to buttons, so I can't say anything definitive right now, but I'm leaning towards the use button being on the touchscreen and switching between portals on the touchscreen as well... that still leaves the gravity gun though (the touchscreen "use" button probably wouldn't be very comfortable for that, and double tapping is taken up for jumping already so...), so I'm not sure at this point.
Since when is there a gravity gun in Portal? :o
EDIT: Owait did you mean picking up items and stuff?

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Since when is there a gravity gun in Portal? :o
EDIT: Owait did you mean picking up items and stuff?
Yeah that's what I meant. I mean sure it's not as powerful as a gravity gun but it's still the same concept. :P
Also, I should have mentioned that this time around I'd like to make the controls fully customizable, as you would see in a PC game, so hopefully everyone will be happy.

Reactions: Janthran

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over