Hacking Drawbacks of Leaving NANDs Linked?

Ailuros27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I try not to post duplicate threads, but given the influx of new users into this area of the forums due to downgrading now being possible above 9.3, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have this on the front page.

My question is simple: What are possible drawbacks of leaving NANDs linked?

I know that going into Data Management on sysNAND will delete all CIAs installed into emuNAND when the two are linked. But does that work the other way around? And as I do not intend to install many CIAs in either NAND other than a few utilities like SaveDataFiler and whatever might be necessary to get online and in the eShop, are there any other drawbacks that might make me rethink leaving my NANDs linked?

zetaPRIME

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linked NANDs can't have separate themedata, which includes Menuhax; I haven't tested, but the initial payload from menuhax on one version may be incompatible with another, thus keeping you from being able to set up autobooting to emuNAND if it's on a different FW version and you haven't unlinked.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The biggest problem I can think of is that all of your games installed from .cia files re-wrap themselves. So every time you boot emuNAND you'll need to unwrap them again.

It doesn't bother me, but for many others it's main reason for unlinking.

Ailuros27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm... Like I said, I don't intend to install CIAs for games. I can use Hans if I want to play things like BD Uncensored or Pokemon romhacks. If that's the biggest drawback then I think I'll leave them linked. At least on my old 3DS. I'll continue to monitor this thread in case someone comes up with a more significant reason, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up