Downsides to disabling Deflicker?

moch123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was just wondering if there were any downsides/game incompatibilities with having the deflicker filter disabled in USBLoaderGX? I was reading the other day about games such as Metroid Prime Trilogy not properly disabling the filter. On a side note, does the USBLoaderGX deflicker patch also work with Gamecube games, or is there a different process required? Thanks!

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Bumping because I'm actually interested in other's responses regarding deflicker in Wii.

I have the Priiloader Menu Hack enabled.
I have Deflicker to Off (Extended) in USB Loader.
I have Force NTSC in Nintendont, although there's the Force (Deflicker) option but not sure if it forces it On or Off.

I honestly don't see any real difference other than a bit of sharpness improvement in FCEUGX and SNES9XGX.

About your issue with USB Loader; have you actually tried and see for yourself instead of waiting for an answer that might depend in multiple factors?

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a deflicker question too is deflicker disabled by default on nintendont or do i have to disable it in the settings and how do i do that?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
To disable in Nintendont you force Ntsc or Pal60 video modes and it's gone for most games. A few ones will require to modify the iso liie soulcalibur 2.

In my tests pretty much all games work with either of the 2, regardless of region (and PAL games have 60hz support or are modded to play at 60hz).

The "downsides" of removing deflicker I can think of are an actual one and a "matter of taste" one.

If you play at 480i, so no Progressive Scan, depending on what TV you are using you will be seeing the flicker. Basically you will see the screen shaking a bit, which is exacly why the filter was made in the first place. It can strain your eyes and with certain color combinations it can be very visible.

This, of course, does not happen on Progressive scan.

Playing on hdtvs, they tend to have their own filter for interlaced content (depending how you connect them, it might not happen with digital inputs like hdmi) so you may gain some sharpness by taking it out as you would get twice the filter. On CRTs it can vary a lot.

Besides that, a few games use dithering to attempt to give more depth to the picture, and removing the filter will make it more aparent. In said cases, you can just make the loader use a less strong filter so you gain some sharpness but without going all in to avoid it.

Because pretty much all third party games use the strongest filter (default option on the sdk if I remember right) by using a lighter one you still improve the picture.

There's really no downsides besides the case of 480i. Now if someone would rather have a blurry picture over a filterless one it's entirely their choice.

About the deflicker in emulators, I would bet they use the lightest filter mode, and no the stronger ones. Retroarch does for example.

I assure you only a handful of games use the less obnoxious ones, selected first party games. I checked well over a hundred games when this was being researched and was a bit sad to realize devs probably didn't even care one bit about changing or removing it.

Except HAL Labs, which took it out for games like Brawl and Kirby's RTDL. Good guys, know what they are doing. GoodFeel might also have not used them, if I remember right.

TLDR:

There's no reason to have the filter with Progressive scan unless you want blurry picture or as mentioned, camouflage dithering which you can still use a weaker filter and gain sharpness.

Xcali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
I also tested deflicker option on retroarch it can blurr the image quite badly and i didn't see much difference other wise so i turn it off and smooth the image with the vi trap filter if not the image become really sharp and nasty with some artifacts because 480i
240p also looks quite nice but deflicker filter dosent work if you are in 240p

CheeseBurgerwithLove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendont has a small issue related to the deflicker that apparently they have not solved (nor are they interested in fixing it because it does not affect american players, only european ones) and that is that if a PAL game with a 50/60hz selector you select 60hz it will that the filter is reactivated again despite having it disabled in the options. So to avoid this you have to hit 50hz on the selector and that way the filter will not be reactivated and will go to 60hz since the game will pay attention to the loader options that you have previously adjusted before launching it (forcing PAL60 in video mode).

Reactions: larryd

Xcali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Nintendont has a small issue related to the deflicker that apparently they have not solved (nor are they interested in fixing it because it does not affect american players, only european ones) and that is that if a PAL game with a 50/60hz selector you select 60hz it will that the filter is reactivated again despite having it disabled in the options. So to avoid this you have to hit 50hz on the selector and that way the filter will not be reactivated and will go to 60hz since the game will pay attention to the loader options that you have previously adjusted before launching it (forcing PAL60 in video mode).
why not just force ntsc is your tv not compatible or something, i also have PAL wii and i did notice pal60hz have some weird noise over composite not just in nintendont that's why i just force ntsc and there is no noise and better colors

if you wanna get that fixed you should go to nintendont github and ask there

CheeseBurgerwithLove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not just force ntsc is your tv not compatible or something, i also have PAL wii and i did notice pal60hz have some weird noise over composite not just in nintendont that's why i just force ntsc and there is no noise and better colors

if you wanna get that fixed you should go to nintendont github and ask there
Because not all PAL games can be forced to NTSC like Tales of Symphonia or Animal Crossing. Those that are PAL50 will give a black screen when launching them.

Xcali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco

Because not all PAL games can be forced to NTSC like Tales of Symphonia or Animal Crossing. Those that are PAL50 will give a black screen when launching them.
ah that sucks you right chance getting that fixed is slim i also want a 240p option like swiss, just trie another loader or patch the iso

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto