• Views 69,684
  • Replies 208

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ViRGE said:
Not to be a negative Nancy, but I'm going to be surprised if game performance is anywhere near usable. DOSBox is a pure C++ x86 emulator; even fast chips like Core 2s can only reach the approximate performance of a 486 DX2/DX4. On a 733mhz PPC chip, this thing is probably only going to attain 386 speeds. There are going to be a lot of unplayable games at those speeds.
frown.gif

I'm thinking the same, very few old games will work if any!! I would like these to work: Jazz Jackrabit, Commander Keen 4,5,6, Blake Stone.

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tested and works for me also. Thanks Sashabel!!

I've put it into the package I created for easy use (credited Sashabel in the readme for compiling it), it's ready to extract to the apps folder on your card. Here's the link (and no, this one's not a rickroll lol):

http://sharebee.com/4ee0beeb

Sashabel: Did you have to do anything special to compile it? Or just use svn checkout and run make?
Can you let us know which version of devKitPro and what libraries you have installed?

I'd like to figure out why my devKitPro setup will compile it but the .dol doesn't load properly. There must be some difference that makes yours work properly, I would like to find this out so I can compile future versions on my own. Thanks!
smile.gif

Edit: On another note, I'm gonna test a game with it... good old StarFlight II, such an awesome game.
smile.gif

Sashabel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Dteyn, I edited makefile(makefile.wii) a bit.
LIBDIRS:= $(Currdir) to LIBDIRS:= $(DEVKITPPC)/libogc
And now it works.

I use latest devkit and latest sdl from svn

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Only way to find out is to try... the last link I posted has a working package, might as well give it a shot.
smile.gif

We should start some type of compatibility matrix on the Wiki, to determine which games work and which don't.

The best way to find games that'll work with DOSBox is to look for abandonware sites on Google, and search for the game you want to play.. then unzip it to it's own folder in the SD:\DOSBox folder, and you should be ready to try it in DOSBox.

D

Deleted-171178

OP
Im trying win 3.1 now
tongue.gif
ill report if it works.
Edit: It doesnt. Some white text flashes on then black screens.
frown.gif

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm strange... does it work on the PC version of DOSBox? That's the best way to test, see if it works on the PC one first, then try on the Wii. If you've done that already then my bad.
smile.gif

Edit: Did a google search, I noticed there's a guide to getting Win 3.1 working in DOSBox.. I wonder if the same steps would work for the Wii version?
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405

D

Deleted-171178

OP
Ive tried s60 v3 Phone and that works. I literally copied it straight across, complete with custom dosbox.conf file.

I might as well make the first post compatability.

mowfax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried some games but didn't tweak anything yet. I will when I find some time tomorrow.

Btw. these are all games that work on PC DOSBox.

Keen4 - Music stutters badly, I get into the actual level to play but after a few seconds, the game freezes
Death Rally - Title Screen is reeeeeeeeally slow... maybe 1-2 fps. Music stutters badly of course
Battle Isle 2 - Right after I start it, I get an error and I'm back at the prompt
Raptor - After the initial Loading Text-screen, I get a black screen. Maybe it's just too long until something shows up because of slowliness.

But I'm already impressed. Great first step and I hope to get some games working with some fiddling in the conf
smile.gif

D

Deleted-171178

OP
mowfax said:
I tried some games but didn't tweak anything yet. I will when I find some time tomorrow.

Btw. these are all games that work on PC DOSBox.

Keen4 - Music stutters badly, I get into the actual level to play but after a few seconds, the game freezes
Death Rally - Title Screen is reeeeeeeeally slow... maybe 1-2 fps. Music stutters badly of course
Battle Isle 2 - Right after I start it, I get an error and I'm back at the prompt
Raptor - After the initial Loading Text-screen, I get a black screen. Maybe it's just too long until something shows up because of slowliness.

But I'm already impressed. Great first step and I hope to get some games working with some fiddling in the conf
smile.gif
Thanks, ill add them.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dteyn, i tried the guide for windows 3.1 on PC dosbox. The s3 drivers and such didn't help. No it doesn't work with wii. Textmode setup completes, but the GUI portion never starts, just hangs with a black screen.

I'm quite upset.
frown.gif
When i saw this come out, Windows on Wii was the first thing to go through my mind.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Windows 3.1? could you share how? I'm DYING to run Windows on my wii...

Maybe its because im using WFWG 3.11? I have an original 3.1 around on floppies if need be...

EDIT: Tried MS Flight Simulator 5.1, doesn't work "Error 0008: Out of memory" after the title screen. I even tried putting in on low quality graphics, turned off sound, and edited the config file to have more memory (gave it 30MB vs. the default 16).

D

Deleted-171178

OP
Basically extract the files from the disk.
Put them on your SD.
Run Setup.exe.
follow it through.
Then run WINDOWS\Win.com.
Voila!

Akdul

Trophies
Website
raulbojalil.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
This is sweet, i love DOS. Thanks for compiling it. I just tested Alleycat and Prince of Persia and they both work perfectly , with sound and no slowdowns. Im gonna try more games when i have time
yaynds.gif

EDIT: In Prince of Persia you cannot move, EDIT2: Nevermind, just set the joysticktype setting to none and it works great now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up