Does the pre-owned and used market kill the gaming industry?

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*cough*dlsite*cough*
*cough*rootkits*cough*
Yeah, the more absurd of an argument they present, the more they figure we'll just be too bewildered to think of the obvious solution of nullification(as in ignore when you see it happen and even discourage people from reporting it - not just [yourself] 'doing it anyways' like some think that means). If an adult keeps cheating at poker, you don't keep playing their game - when someone sees 'extra' decks, all hell breaks loose. If a child keeps changing the rules when they start to lose, no one will want to play with them.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes, used sales hurt an industry as long as its the recent games that are bought and sold used.
even if that used money is used to buy a new game, its going to be a new used one pretty often too.

on the other hand, i see the giant used market as a sign for crappy games. no replay value, no awesome story, nothing you'd want to show around much. you just shrug the old off and get the new one thats shrugged of just as fast.

obviously it may be different today, cause its so easy to sell used games around the world, but as a kid, i would've never sold my tekken 3 or super mario world :/

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
on the other hand, i see the giant used market as a sign for crappy games. no replay value, no awesome story, nothing you'd want to show around much. you just shrug the old off and get the new one thats shrugged of just as fast.

obviously it may be different today, cause its so easy to sell used games around the world, but as a kid, i would've never sold my tekken 3 or super mario world :/
^This. I've actually said this before, and was laughed at. The only time I ever give away or sell a game is if I genuinely didn't care for it. I just can't imagine giving away even games that were "succeeded" by sequels (id est, Brawl succeeded Melee), simply because I enjoy them so much and still play them.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
This is a way for the game stores to get money.
It would be unfair for the game companies to get all the money and not hire too many people.
We have to pay more and only they get the money, but with pre-owned money the game stores and game store workers get more money, most of the time the game store workers spend the money the make but it's nowhere near 1:1 and we get to get games for cheaper, pushing game companies to lower their prices.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country

I think the pre-owned / used game market doesn't kill the industry, I think this because I have purchased many used games that I think were over priced so I purchased second hand games and If I like a game enough then I'm likely to go and buy new games from the DEVs that made that game. Also when you trade pre-owned games you can trade them for new so I don't think it is killing the industry but infact in this case is helping it.

I also think that pirate games don't hurt as much as the industry makes out, because its a great way to try games out as most consoles the DS for example don't offer demo's of most of its games.

Well soon enough most games will be download only via a system like Steam so no more CDs or DVDs and not so much pirating then we will see just how well Game Devs do and I think this type of media will damage some sales of games.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Good luck on finding new Xbox or GCN games in a big retail gamestore.

I don't think used game stores are that bad.
At least you can still find a lot of 8, 16, 32, 64 bit games.

Reactions: 1 person

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird: We traded games all the time. No need for some game shop unless you're looking for something unpopular back then. Then again, we got bored with even 200+ titles at most video rental stores for their NES selection. Funny how they had the "Nintendo Seal of Quality" and so damn many of those games were absolute BS. I'm thinking TMNT, Wolverine... First one crashed a lot (not just on emulators) for example.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm bringing this thread back because of a recent development that ties right into the huge discussion we were having.

So remember how I was all "Well if you take copyright as the companies want it one step further it'd be illegal to [strike]sell your lawnmower[/strike] lend a book to a friend" and you all thought I was crazy?
http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-patent-prevents-students-from-sharing-books-120610/

Not making it illegal, but trying to prevent students from sharing or lending textbooks by making them tie in one-time purchase codes. Same sort of deal, they consider it piracy and think it's bad behavior and want to stop it.

Geeze, at this rate, I give it about another month before I raise this thread again with an example where reselling a DVD gets you into legal trouble.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
http://torrentfreak....g-books-120610/

Not making it illegal, but trying to prevent students from sharing or lending textbooks by making them tie in one-time purchase codes. Same sort of deal, they consider it piracy and think it's bad behavior and want to stop it.

Geeze, at this rate, I give it about another month before I raise this thread again with an example where reselling a DVD gets you into legal trouble.
Remember when companies had to CONVINCE us to spend money on their products instead of going for cheaper alternatives? I miss those days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1