Micolash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
https://insider-gaming.com/ubisoft-not-owning-games-comfortable/

One of the things we saw is that gamers are used to, a little bit like DVD, having and owning their games. That’s the consumer shift that needs to happen. They got comfortable not owning their CD collection or DVD collection. That’s a transformation that’s been a bit slower to happen in games. As gamers grow comfortable in that aspect… you don’t lose your progress. If you resume your game at another time, your progress file is still there. That’s not been deleted. You don’t lose what you’ve built in the game or your engagement with the game. So it’s about feeling comfortable with not owning your game.
Ubisoft thinks there's going to be shift like how we used to "own" DVDs and now we stream our content.

What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT: damn just noticed typo on title :cry:

Metal64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
>GET COMFORTABLE’ WITH NOT OWNING GAMES
461.png

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The point is not "not owning DVDs"

The point is not being sure to get a PERMANENT license, which can't be taken away randomly at any point.

Being at the mercy of some digital storefront, where you only right is "the right to pay" -- that is the problem.

Get comfortable not getting any money under these conditions.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They're talking about the same model as Game Pass, but the difference is that Microsoft isn't stupid enough to say something like this out loud. Also that Game Pass has a large third-party library, unlike Ubisoft who have been churning out mostly duds the last five years or so.

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah yes, the same trick that Steam has pioneered and mastered, the very same one every other company has been trying to copy for the past decade or so.

Reactions: Metal64

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
What the hell is this. They can go to hell after saying that kind of statement. I love seeing my shelves full of games. So many good memories and moments. I enjoy randomly opening one game case with my son, looking at the instructions booklet and talking about the game. This goes far beyond just owning a "cd". Hope they get some kind of backlash from this stupidity.

Reactions: sKoMo

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know I'm not going to make any friends with this statement, but environmentally, it's good for the planet, this shift to digital distribution only. All those game cartridges, CDs, DVDs, not to mention the jewel cases and plastic boxes to protect those discs, all this e-waste is a disaster waiting to happen for the environment. Digital only is much better for us and for future generations. But piracy is also fine with digital distribution, so I'm all for it.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arrr, be ready ta git comfortable not selling me any video games, matey! But me coffers will still be full of me precious booty, make no mistake.

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know I'm not going to make any friends with this statement, but environmentally, it's good for the planet, this shift to digital distribution only. All those game cartridges, CDs, DVDs, not to mention the jewel cases and plastic boxes to protect those discs, all this e-waste is a disaster waiting to happen for the environment. Digital only is much better for us and for future generations. But piracy is also fine with digital distribution, so I'm all for it.
All digital is fine, so long as it's something like GoG (or whatever would be better) and DRM free and you own it in a digital state that you are responsible for keeping.

Reactions: Dust2dust

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Man, I think there are SO MANY more pressing matters regarding environmental damage than plastic boxes from games. I mean, yes your idea is good and noble, but you know that the elite from the planet don't give a fuck about the pollution.

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We used to be able to own slaves? How did that go. Sometimes we have to let things go and just give people money for nothing. I do it with my grandfather all the time.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man, I think there are SO MANY more pressing matters regarding environmental damage than plastic boxes from games. I mean, yes your idea is good and noble, but you know that the elite from the planet don't give a fuck about the pollution.
I understand your point of view, but if all we do, as a community, is blame the big guys for all the problems with pollution, then continue on our merry way to pollute with all these small e-waste, the situation is never going to improve, it will just keep deteriorating. If everyone does his part, it can only help improve things faster.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not setting video games on DVD's or even CD's damages the companies that aren't that popular and actually create the disks. Does Ubisoft not care about them? Or perhaps they created the disks and the people who knew how left so now they have no reason to do it and cannot.

Regardless, this is ignorant. I understand why they want to do it, but many of us would rather purchase a disc just in case the company that created the game/disc goes away so we cannot get them digitally again. It almost feels like Ubisoft went:

"Fuck the gamers wanting this product we feel is useless and cannot create any longer. Idiots."

And as long as DVD/CD's have been used in gaming products, this is a horrific choice and will likely leave them hurting. Idiots.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know I'm not going to make any friends with this statement, but environmentally, it's good for the planet, this shift to digital distribution only.
Do you have an idea what environmental impact "clean" digital streaming services have? If you don't touch anything physical, nothing has been consumed to provide it!? I'm not convinced this is fundamentally better than physical distribution.
The abundance of overly energy hungry powerful computers and storehouses full of HDDs, complete data centers busy with nothing more than distributing video again and again.

Expanding this to gaming in "The Cloud" will surely not lower the energy demand, both in producing hardware and in operating it. Hell, even re-download of current HUGE games is notable strain for the internet. And the demand for highest level hardware to be produced again and again because it wears down quickly.

Where is the continued(!) environmental pollution by the 1000s of physical discs three meters in front of me? They are here. They don't do anything. Passive material, operable since decades.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1