Hardware Do you think the Wii U would have benefitted from having 3DS games playable?

Do you think WII U would have been made more popular with 3DS "content"?

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all know the wii u has virtual console, that much is true. But let's think a bit different. Nintendo has made there portable systems available to play on consoles before, Super Nintendo has Super Gameboy, allowing you to play Gamboy carts on there even with special functions only for super gameboy, Nintendo Gamecube, another system which did much of the same thing, play Gameboy advance games on gamecube, not to mention the gameboy link cable for some games like Sonic adventure 2 battle, Legend of Zelda Four swords adventures, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. While not directly relevant to this, wii allow you to download Nintendo DS demos to play without having to go to some other vendor like gamestop or whatever. In short, most of the consoles had ways to connect with their portable systems.

Enters the 3DS in 2011 and WII U in 2012. Both these things feature some common things. Both focus on having two screens to play games with, both have cameras for some things (even if not very used) both have microphones, touchscreens and similar buttons. (Yeah basically they both seem to be based on the NDS system with some improvements. They both even had some similar games on it either by port or sequel, they do also have their own games on it.

My point is that while is not a thing as of now and probably never was intended, I felt it could have been a good thing. Besides as mentioned, past consoles had ways of interacting with the portable systems in some way. Even if wii u didn't come with a built in cart slot or hardware to support it at launch, either some accessory along the line would have been nice. I wouldn't know why they wouldn't consider it, perhaps the stuff like gameboy player wasn't as popular as I thought. It would not only allow people way to easily record NDS/3DS games with a common capture card for consoles but also in higher resolution maybe in HD, maybe extra hardware and buttons to match for the "NEW" branded systems not only having better performance but not having to always use the cramped controls, devs can still make games for it like normal and people can even be able to play their games on big screen by choice (since I thought people would want that with the idea of the past game boy player things)

Not to drag this on longer but what do you all think? I may have went about this the wrong way, but I been surrounded with systems that had some interactions with the console and portable counterparts, I mean PS3 and psp can play ps1 games, there is psvita tv which while cannot play every game on vita due to some obvious dev intentions to use vita hardware like cameras, gyro sensing, touchpad and such won't play as functionally, still I just had hope it would be done before nintendo gave up on wii u.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It would not only allow people way to easily record NDS/3DS games with a common capture card for consoles
Nintendo would call this a disadvantage, most likely (remember the gba video series that was GBP-"enhanced" just to not work on it?)

also in higher resolution maybe in HD
Unless you mean pixel doubling and stuff like Vwii 720p, it would probably look bad across different games - then again, I'm all in favor of options

I mean PS3 and psp can play ps1 games, there is psvita tv
You know, the biggest complaint I have about vita is that it wasn't designed with a PS2 mode - so many cool games I've only seen at a friend's house :)

Certainly, some more or less official 3DS support would have been a pro

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tbh I would have loved a few more mario games on the 3ds and wii u. Like the 2d platformer mario the 3ds and wii u especially the 3ds did not have a lot of mario platforming. For me that was what would have fixed the sales

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think I would have really liked closer integrations between the 3DS and Wii U. I also really like the GC GBA Link cable for this reason.

I don't think a 3DS Player ala GBA Player would have sold well. I don't think there are a lot of people with a Wii U who didn't already also have a 3DS. And for most of them there would have been too little reason to get such an accessory.

I also don't think it would have boosted Wii U sales. Mostly because you would just buy a 3DS if you wanted to play those games. And I don't see many people buying a Wii U + 3DS Player to play 3DS games. (Of course they would also play a few Wii U Games but the Wii U would have to stand on it's own for this combi to be worth it to most people).

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Seeing how the Wii U could probably run most Switch content, Nintendo could have easily expanded its life by just offering the same games (even if only through digital releases).
But it was Nintendo's decision to push the Switch instead
I wouldn't be surprised if independent developers were not even allowed to release on Wii U anymore. I know at least of some games whose releases were postponed for the Switch and the Wii U version never came out.

Similarly, the (first) Wii could have actually benefited greatly from 3DS content in the later part of its era. Games like Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario would have worked on Wii just fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw