Gaming Do you think the Nintendo 3Ds will be a success or failure

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Aw Guild, way to edit your post after someone replies. Still, I actually understand what you mean now. Thanks for clarifying. All I heard the first time was that Cave Story doesn't need (I read deserve) to be remade.

As a long time fan, I'm still excited to see the direction this takes. But still... I'm not sure you can just say that it's meant to be retro and shouldn't ever be updated. That's not all that made it what it was and is.

I'm just saying that it already looks and sounds fantastic the way it is. It's just the way it's styled.

But we're getting kinda off topic. My fault, sorry.

On topic, I do think Sony should starting letting the scoop out on the NGP launch titles soon. Nintendo will probably have the casual crowd in handhelds much more than Sony, but the level-headed core crowd is still up for grabs. If Sony really releases a strong launch list or at least games near launch list for the NGP, I could see a good amount of core gamers skipping on the 3DS and saving their cash for the NGP (and if it really is $300, then they should be pretty close to getting one already).

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hmm... Well, I'd be happier if Quote was more human looking, like in the credits art, but at least he doesn't look bad.

Edit: Hold on.
Cave-Story-3D.jpg

The article says the game is in pseudo 3D, as seen here. And they have it done enough already that the 3D effect is implemented. I'd bet this isn't just a random drawing.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Midna said:
Hmm... Well, I'd be happier if he was more human looking, like in the credits art, but at least he doesn't look bad.
Well, this was made by the same guy who made the game. I think he knows what he have to looks like, huh? As he created the game and all..

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
For me i will be a failure.
The range of view to look at 3D is very limited.
It has terrible battery life and most of the features are getting released in future updates.
But it will be a success.
Too many kids and fanboys will want this.
Someone buys a 3DS because it looks good, then a friend/relative plays and is like 'WOW!'
Then they get a 3DS and it spreads like a Virus.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Midna said:
A normal art? Huh? That's the slides that play as the credits to the game roll. That stuff is by Pixel.
Yeah, a normal art by Pixel. Something that you don't see on the gameplay.

In other words, you don't see Quote portraited as that in the game. Neither you'll see on this remake, as it would suck. Maybe they'll the new art on the new credits though.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Maedhros said:
Midna said:
A normal art? Huh? That's the slides that play as the credits to the game roll. That stuff is by Pixel.
Yeah, a normal art by Pixel. Something that you don't see on the gameplay.

In other words, you don't see Quote portraited as that in the game. Neither you'll see on this remake, as it would suck. Maybe they'll the new art on the new credits though.
Quote's sprite in CS is 16x16, IIRC. Come up with a character for me, and accurately represent it in a 16x16 sprite. Then base all further, higher res appearances of this character off the sprite. Something is wrong with that picture. I'd say that a human looking, properly anthropomorphic Quote would look just fine. Does every platformer character have to visually, be a square?
Obviously Pixel's own in game concept art is a more accurate base for what the character really looks like than the sprite.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
FireGrey said:
lol.

I think the 3DS has the possibility of failing, but launch day will be telling.
If there's the usual massive queue's, and a lot of casual folk see the need to go from ds to 3ds, then it will succeed, and S3D will too.
If it doesn't do well in 2011, it will fail.

If it was cheaper, there would be no doubt it would succeed.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nollog said:
FireGrey said:
lol.

If there's the usual massive queue's, and a lot of casual folk see the need to go from ds to 3ds, then it will succeed, and S3D will too.

Success isn't determined by how much a console sells, it one of the factors.

You would consider the 3DS a success if the 3D was totally ignored in the future?

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the 3DS will be a success overall. I'm interested to see how the launch goes, and since I didn't preorder, I hope my local BestBuy will have plenty that day. The reason I don't preorder, is because I want to choose my color (black), and I want to be able to exchange it right there if I have any problems such as dead/stuck pixels. Gamestop usually has only enough units to fill preorders, so exchanges could be out of the question. I had a bad experience with my original PSP at launch, but BestBuy had 85 units for me to pick through, until I found a good one (yeah, it was that bad).

You also have to realize the 3DS is the first electronic device to reach market with 3D tech that doesn't require glasses. Backwards compatibility with DS games always helps, but I think the system will sell itself. I hope it has a good launch, and I feel it will have long term success. It is a DS after all, and we all know how much we love the DS.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Maedhros said:

You would consider the 3DS a success if the 3D was totally ignored in the future?

If it sells, it succeeds, because the objective of it is to be sold. Wether its features are accepted or not are "sub"-acomplishments of "sub"-failures

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Maedhros said:
Nollog said:
FireGrey said:
lol.

Selling means succeeding.
THIS... IS... BUSINESS!!!

I would, yes.
S3D isn't interesting in the slightest to me, but I'm sure a lot of people see it as "the future" since Sony want them to buy Televisions which are useless, since you only wear glasses.
Not saying Sony fanboys are to blame, just that Sony are powerful, and will brainwash the masses in general into wanting 3D TV's unless Nintendo shows them it's meh at best. Not that Nintendo are the shining light of the world, just they will sell to those same masses with Nintendogs+cats etc. while still producing games we can all play.

In any case, if Nintendo try to rely on third parties for games like they're doing for launch, the system will fail terribly.
Third party quality is disgusting.
There are exceptions, but they're going to be late to the party, since they use care when putting their games together.
Level-5, and 5th Cell for instance create really good games, and aren't afraid to be different.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
in the realm of handhelds, i find that the 3ds is , more or less, an evolution of the itouch.
itouch sucks since it has no controls and games are mediocer.
3ds has the touch screen and motion controls
but also has a 3d screen, good physical buttons, good games etc
only thing it lost was multi touch
so yes
an evolution of itouch

in terms of nintendo, it is what they dreamed the gamecube could do, only portable, and with a touch screen.
nintendo wanted a 3d gamecube but 3d tv was not ready for it
3ds eliminates that need
i still think a remake of luigi's mansion is probable
i surly would pay $50 for it

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
Nollog said:
FireGrey said:
lol.

How good a system is isn't determined by how much a console sells, it one of the factors.

I'm pretty sure this is what you meant. Seriously, even a crappy system can be successful, it just has to sell well.

Also, yes. The 3D is just a feature and the hardware IMO is much more appealing.

Joshua21136

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Yeah, and the hardware limitations are nothing to worry about, no games so far (or probably for a while) have reported hitting the limitations.
Yeah, but the thing is that this is one of the first 3D gaming systems ever made. Nintendo might not have anything to base the "3DS" off of for 3D effects.

Oh and one other thing, is this "Nintendo 3DS" going to be projecting a hologram, or does the screen make it look 3D, or does it use that one lame "Red and Blue" trick for 3D effects?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, LOL. Its very sunny, what are you on about?