Gaming Do you think the Nintendo 3Ds will be a success or failure

Game Dragon

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Do you think the Nintendo 3Ds will be a success or failure, I have been reading a lot about the 3D screen from some testers and it may be able to do 3D but it has a lot of limitations, to get it working correctly and keep it in the right position by the user is not going to be easy remember it is a handheld not a stationary unit
My personal view it will be a failure but I am a pessimist

Game Dragon

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dter ic said:
you know that the 3DS is also back'd up by it's game titles too
It really doesn't matter about the games if the hardware has limitations that’s it failure
In a few days time we will find out one way or another I personally hope it works

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my main concern with that system is the nauseating feeling users r getting...and that's just standing still. I can only imagine the dizziness associated with playing that while walking. plus, many of the games r a been there, done that sort of thing. nintendo is trying too hard to sell gimicky hardware that people think is cool for a few weeks then put it in the closet like the wii. sure, the ds may have been successful, but there has been a lot of bad news reported on the 3ds such as region-locking, low battery life, physical discomfort, etc...and the list never seems to end. I don't think nintendo thought this system or portable through.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think there's anything to stop a Nintendo console being a commercial success. Hell, IMHO the Wii is about 98% fail thanks to its shovelware infested library, unresponsive controls and general noobification of the gaming market as a whole, but it still sells like backstage passes to a Justin Bieber concert in an all girls high school. So I wouldn't worry about hardware limitations, 'cause that's never stopped them. With the exception of the Virtual Boy, of course, but let's just pretend that never happened, I'm sure Nintendo want to as well. We all make mistakes. And I seriously doubt the 3DS will be that bad.

As for whether or not it'll be a success in the eyes of the gamers, it's all down to how well it's supported. If it has a decent selection of games covering a variety of genres, it'll be a success in my book. If on the other hand it focusses on making gimmicky crap and mini game compilations for the 'casual' crowd, ignoring the actual 'gamer' side of the gaming market (kind of a no-brainer IMHO) then it can go fuck itself in a bramble patch.

I'm buying one anyway, I've always wanted Lylat Wars in my pocket if nothing else. But it has the prerequisite of six must play titles lined up already that makes me deem a system worth the investment. Any less than six and it's no deal. But it already has Zelda, Mario, Lylat Wars, DOA, Resident Evil and Kid Icarus, so that's the quota filled.

Be nice if any of those six showed up on launch day.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Game Dragon said:
Dter ic said:
It really doesn't matter about the games if the hardware has limitations that’s it failure
In a few days time we will find out one way or another I personally hope it works

If the games didn't matter, then how did the DS sell better than the PSP (that sold well in its own right)? A game system is nothing without quality games, and as it is right now, there's gonna be quite a number of those within the first few months following the launch.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
perhaps, but just because the ds was successful doesn't mean that the 3ds will be. I'm sure it will be successful at first but become the victim of shovelwear and boredom down the road. kinect clearly fell into this category as many early-adopters say that the novelty feeling wore off after a couple weeks. besides, I wouldn't really call something with so little battery-life as portable. having to pick-and-choose when to use the thing because of the possibility of the battery going dead is pretty bad. plus, flashcarts for the ds drop the ds' battery life...especially the supercard! flash carts could potentially drop the battery-life to an hour. nintendo, microsoft, and even sony need to realize that this gimicky garbage may be good for some things but bad for others. they seem to think that if something is true in this instance then it must always be true. portable 3d is not a good idea due to potential for vertigo.

DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It will be a great success.

It has great titles and it's a great system
My friend keeps saying how it will be the 'Virtual Boy 2' but that's just BS.

Game Dragon

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
Game Dragon said:
Dter ic said:

If the games didn't matter, then how did the DS sell better than the PSP (that sold well in its own right)? A game system is nothing without quality games, and as it is right now, there's gonna be quite a number of those within the first few months following the launch.
In this case both handhelds worked perfectly so the games was the deciding factor but in this case we are assuming that the 3Ds is not perfect

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it will be a success. The range of games is good so far and it has a gimmick. This formula worked for the DS so it seems only fitting that the 3DS will also be successful. The games range is getting better.
Only problem I see it facing is shovelware.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Game Dragon said:

That's some really dumb reasoning.

Deus Ex, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII are all in the general "the best games of all time" list. And we're talking about more than 10 years old hardware.

Also, have you played any classic Resident Evil game? The controls are really annoying for most people yet the games are loved.

The 3D in the system is just a gimmick. It can fail but if the game it's applied to is good, it won't matter.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
well its nintendo, ya can't ever let one console slip or else your gunna miss out on the games. some really fun stuff. 3ds I think is gonna be a success cuz of the games not the 3D thingy majig. cuz i ain't gunna buy a 3ds for the 3d anyway.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
Game Dragon said:
Dter ic said:

Yeah, and the hardware limitations are nothing to worry about, no games so far (or probably for a while) have reported hitting the limitations. It will be a success, especially because it inherits the features and 1st party games it's ancestors (It's Gameboy/DS ancestors) have so greatly hailed. The chance of it faining is about at slim as the chance there will be a bad Super Mario game.

EDIT: I would make a more convincing argument right now but I really don't feel like it
mellow.gif

QUOTE(Ramonra @ Feb 3 2011, 06:08 PM) QUOTE(Game Dragon @ Feb 4 2011, 12:06 AM)

That's some really dumb reasoning.

Deus Ex, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII are all in the general "the best games of all time" list. And we're talking about more than 10 years old hardware.

Also, have you played any classic Resident Evil game? The controls are really annoying for most people yet the games are loved.

The 3D in the system is just a gimmick. It can fail but if the game it's applied to is good, it won't matter.
This, 100% this.

famousginni

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't know if it will be a failure or a success.... but since many people are saying that the games are going to drive the sales.... I think if the 3D part doesn't work or is hard to get to work... people won't want to waste $250 on something that doesn't do what its supposed to do.. just for the games. Just my 2 cents..

SmokeFox

Trophies
Website
www.romhacking.net
XP
Country
Brazil
Of course its going to be a sucess, it is the sequel of DSLite, a huge sucess. Its like the NGP, there is no way to go wrong, the real matter is who is going to get more attention and more units bought.

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
famousginni said:
Don't know if it will be a failure or a success.... but since many people are saying that the games are going to drive the sales.... I think if the 3D part doesn't work or is hard to get to work... people won't want to waste $250 on something that doesn't do what its supposed to do.. just for the games. Just my 2 cents..
I've heard too many people say the 3D element doesn't interest them or that they will just "turn 3D off" for me to agree on that.
This confuses me since 3D is the 3DS' main selling point.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
famousginni said:
I don't know all that many people that are buying it for the 3D (except for non-gamers and the kiddies), I wont even be using it that much, and I know many others who wont either, the 3DS's capabilities and features far surpass the DS, and the 3D is more of an "extra thing" (To us, at least).

famousginni

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well as CA519705950 said that the 3D is the 3DS's main selling point.... most of the public/people that buy the 3DS are going to be parents buying it for their kids... and if the 3D doesn't work like its intended, the parents are going to get frustrated, this is what is going to screw up Nintendo. I'm sure there are a lot of people that aren't going to buy it for the 3D but for the games, but that only makes up a small amount of people.

Im not saying that it sucks... after all once it comes out I might buy it myself... after reading the reviews ofcourse.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.